CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

smoked/ tint tail lights.help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 11:30 AM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default smoked/ tint tail lights.help!!!

I have an IS250 and I want to smoked or tint my tail lights. My question is are this legal here in SoCal?? I just dont want to spend 100dls to tint them and then get a ticket. Is there a certain % tint that will be legal to use?? Any help from members that have smoke tail lights and their experiences will be appreciated.
Old 01-16-08, 11:48 AM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well im in northern cali, and I smoked my tails on a black es.. and yes.. looks mighty sexy.. i hope its not illegal, but i dont care cuz it looks awesome. The owner of the shop that did also had his smoked out on a GS450... thats where i got the idea from.
Old 01-16-08, 12:35 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the rule is that you have to be about to see your lights and brake lights from 50-100 yards. But don't quote me on that. Use your best judgment.
Old 01-16-08, 01:58 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yes smoked are illegal.
lights must be solid colors, not smoked/tinted. there's a pc in the cvc regarding this item.
Old 01-16-08, 06:16 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Illegal, tinting is not DOT approved is not allowed, therefore it cannot legally be used on the highway.

On another note, most led tail lights and projector head lights from china have fake "SAE DOT APPROVED" indentation on their products.
Old 01-16-08, 08:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

tinting is NOT allowed depending ont he following:
-must be visible from a distance (cant remember)
-must REFLECT light (this is the problem most tinted taillights have, they cover the OEM Reflectors)

the reason some cars like the RX can get away with having clear tails is because they have 2 small strips of reflector material in the bumper to get them through that portion of the rule.

so theoretically, if u wanna have LEGAL smoked tails you can smoke them dark enough so that they're visible from the minimum legal distance AND put 2 strips of reflector material/tape on the bumper. (havent tried it tho, dont plan on smoking my LS' rear)
Old 01-17-08, 12:36 AM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

i dont think 100 bucks gunna get you hurting too badly cuzin smoked taillights to a certain extent looks awesome. my cuzin got his IS taillights smoked out but left the backup lights unsmoked. snice then hes been pulled over once but the policemen only looked at his exhaust and his window tint and his speeding ticket of course :P that and it was his friend dirving lol.... btw his exhaust was legal lol.(legal but loud)
Old 01-17-08, 11:15 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Heng350
i dont think 100 bucks gunna get you hurting too badly cuzin smoked taillights to a certain extent looks awesome. my cuzin got his IS taillights smoked out but left the backup lights unsmoked. snice then hes been pulled over once but the policemen only looked at his exhaust and his window tint and his speeding ticket of course :P that and it was his friend dirving lol.... btw his exhaust was legal lol.(legal but loud)
mostly its CHP and really really **** local PD that go after all the nooks and crannies of vehicle modding.

and the ticket is over $100 OR a fixit depending on who ya get.
Old 01-17-08, 11:25 AM
cwazyguy22
Driver School Candidate

I my 3m smoked tints from aerotect for $70 when I had my clear bra installed. I've been pulled over about 6 or so times now, by local cops and CHP. I've never had them mention my smoked taillights or my HEAVILY tinted windows. =) I live in 626 fyi. It's just depends on how risk averse you are. Good luck!
Old 01-17-08, 11:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Reality: It's illegal.

Reality: No cop will stop you for that alone. If you don't do anything stupid, they'll leave you alone. Also, keep a low profile -- police do racial/social profiling, even though they say they don't...
Old 01-17-08, 09:58 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Reality: It's illegal.

Reality: No cop will stop you for that alone. If you don't do anything stupid, they'll leave you alone. Also, keep a low profile -- police do racial/social profiling, even though they say they don't...
right you are. i have my third brake light, tails, and turn signals smoked on my rx330 and the front fogs tinted purple and no problems. my gfs accords tails are smoked literally black and all windows tinted dark no problems.
Old 03-02-08, 12:48 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I use to do it on my previous black car without any issues. However, I kept it reasonable
Old 04-06-10, 10:42 AM
Tjayy
Driver School Candidate

its not illegal unless you have it so dark that u cant see the light
as long as you can see the light thats all it matters
im in a law class so i know
Old 04-06-10, 11:03 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i have rears tinted (smoke) from aerotect, and there havent been any problems. staying low key is critical, as PhilipMSPT said. they wont get you for that alone, so dont give em any reason to check it out by doin something stupid like excessive speeding or blasting ridiculously loud music.
Old 04-06-10, 11:12 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
staying low key is critical, as PhilipMSPT said. they wont get you for that alone, so dont give em any reason to check it out by doin something stupid like excessive speeding or blasting ridiculously loud music.
i'm sorry but i did get pulled over for that and gave me ticket for front plates at the same time...
i wasnt driving stupid either.. just making a friendly right turn and pulled me from the back..
i didnt even have my exhaust back then..

Last edited by n0th1ng; 04-06-10 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: smoked/ tint tail lights.help!!!