CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Teins and bushings installed!.... Thanks TM Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 09:30 AM
jaja
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cliffud - whats wrong with the Teins? Too stiff? Too soft?

I can't quite explain it, but for me it seems like they are too noisy on the freeway.
Old 05-30-06, 09:47 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not too noisy at all. i simply miss the connected feel that I had with my old setup. the tein cs does a great job at doing what it's supposed to do - allow you to lower your car w/o sacrificing ANY stock ride.

after having the bilstein/eibach combo - i realized that the bilstein/eibach combo is probably as close as i'll be able to get to a bmw-like feel. And quite simply - the tein CS cushions every bump too much for me.
Old 05-30-06, 10:26 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon-Jon
Hey SC! I was the one with the IS350 getting the springs installed when you dropped off your car. I wasn't very social, sorry about that. Is Todd finished with your car?
LOL. naw, it's cool man. You looked very tired... so it's understandable. Very nice car by the way... i kept staring at the color!

Not done yet... parts haven't come in from the dealer yet...
Old 05-30-06, 11:39 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaja
After about 3 months (after I bought them from Todd), I finally made some time to go to Todd's and get the things installed, together with bushings (and also found out I need ball joints as well - thx Todd).

Anyway so far for the Tein's - not incredibly impressed. I guess I have to get the right setting. I've tried a couple, but not getting the right one (anyone got any suggestions??) . It's the wife's car so I can't really slam it either, so it looks completely stock. I guess my stock shocks weren't that worn out. But I figure once the shocks settle in and I decide on my ride height, I can get the thing aligned and it will drive real solid.

I think the bushings make an INCREDIBLE improvement. When I got on the 405 to drive home and hit the brakes the first time it was like I had new brakes.... the steering wheel gitters- gone. Even though the alighnment was a bit off, the car felt really solid (I guess this had to do a bit with the Teins..)

As for installation, I wasn't there for the whole process but I would strongly advise anyone NOT to do this (bushings) on their own. Todd had all these 'tricks' on how to get the old bushings out... I read about the torch part in previous threads, (I actually missed that part - damn...) but afterwards he got the airsaw out and grinder, etc. Don't get me wrong - I consider myself moderately inclined and do most of my stuff on my other cars, but I would never ever ever ever try the bushings. He made it look easy, but it was ALOT of time... I mean ALOT.

I just also want to thank Todd for working until midnight on my car. He could've cut corners to speed up the process, but he went that extra mile to make everything perfect. (I only wish I could find an alignment place that had the same passion for their work...)

Anyway so in summary - Teins: soso, Bushings: awesome, Todd: even better than the bushings

Jaja

i think you're in w. torrance? i have a place to recommend and he is very maticulious like todd.

west end alignment in Gardena, darren is the owner and operator (one man shop) and he's byfar the best i've seen. price is good also, under 100 for all four corners. don't quote me on his price since it's been about a year or so. sorry, i don't have his number but call 411.

be warned, he's book at least 3 weeks out.

trust me, he's the BEST!
Old 05-30-06, 11:43 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cliffud
not too noisy at all. i simply miss the connected feel that I had with my old setup. the tein cs does a great job at doing what it's supposed to do - allow you to lower your car w/o sacrificing ANY stock ride.

after having the bilstein/eibach combo - i realized that the bilstein/eibach combo is probably as close as i'll be able to get to a bmw-like feel. And quite simply - the tein CS cushions every bump too much for me.

if this is the case, you would be happy with the bilstein PSS. they are much firmer than the Tein CS. i found them to be a bit on the firm side. i'm currently running hks hipermax ls+. can't beat the adjustment.

can't the Tein CS be adjusted to more firm?
Old 05-30-06, 12:48 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cliffud

Im very interested on your opinion. I just put my stock SC300 suspension on after a year of Espiler/Tokico Blue's. Im in LOVE with my SC again. So smooth and so comfortable. The espilers were a bit on the harsh side, but my performance was nice.

The only suspension I want to do is the Tein CS, ill never put springs on any car again. If im lookin for an extremely stock feel, with some added performance, is the Tein CS the way to go? Comfort is my main thing. With the Tein CS stiffened all the way, would I be able to achieve my dream of Comfort + Performance + Looks?
Old 05-30-06, 03:42 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hemogoblin
Im very interested on your opinion. I just put my stock SC300 suspension on after a year of Espiler/Tokico Blue's. Im in LOVE with my SC again. So smooth and so comfortable. The espilers were a bit on the harsh side, but my performance was nice.

The only suspension I want to do is the Tein CS, ill never put springs on any car again. If im lookin for an extremely stock feel, with some added performance, is the Tein CS the way to go? Comfort is my main thing. With the Tein CS stiffened all the way, would I be able to achieve my dream of Comfort + Performance + Looks?
I'll jump in, hopefully be able to help you. I have the Tein CS currently, even at its stiffest setting, still is very "comfy", too comfy for my tastes...

I had the Tein Flex previously and at a softer setting, the ride quality wasn't too bad and handling was great!

So if you want a comfy ride with a lowered stance, go for the Tein CS...

If you want a sporty feel/maintain a tiny bit of comfort/great handling, go for the Tein Flex...

Hope that helped...
Old 05-30-06, 04:00 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ACleanSC4
I'll jump in, hopefully be able to help you. I have the Tein CS currently, even at its stiffest setting, still is very "comfy", too comfy for my tastes...

I had the Tein Flex previously and at a softer setting, the ride quality wasn't too bad and handling was great!

So if you want a comfy ride with a lowered stance, go for the Tein CS...

If you want a sporty feel/maintain a tiny bit of comfort/great handling, go for the Tein Flex...

Hope that helped...
Hmm... Cool, that pretty much explains what I needed to know. Guess you really cant get Nice Comfort/Handling together.. I was thinking the CS with the EDFC would be my dream. Its ok, looks like CS is still the way to go.
Old 05-30-06, 07:12 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep in mind, though, that the handling of the CS is still better than stock. It is just not as good as some of the coilovers with more handling and less comfort characteristics.
Old 06-01-06, 10:45 PM
jaja
Pole Position

corkycal - i called up that place no one answered...

anyway long story short i think my teins 'settled' and brought my GS to Johnson's alignment. At first I was real skeptical 'cause they weren't using any computer equipment. But I guess old school isn't that bad. My car drive's straight as an arrow.

Also the suspension is now nice and firm. I guess it takes a while to settle in.

I guess I gradually have to lower my wife's car bit by bit and get it re-aligned!
Old 06-02-06, 06:47 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

johnson is a good shop also. west end alignment doesn't use any computers either. just standard measurments and experience.

glad you got your car aligned. i would have suggested to wait for a couple of weeks prior to bringing the car for alignment because at that time, you could have dialed in your suspension (height and stiffness).
Old 06-02-06, 07:26 AM
jaja
Pole Position

yep - i was going to wait as well, but since its my wife's car and she wasn't going to let me drop it down any more, i figured i would go with what i have.

not to mention that i was going to leave town for 3 weeks.... i didn't want to leave the car pulling to the right for that long.

but johnsons was pretty cool. still can't understand why old school measurements can be that precise. John ran me through why, but I still can't understand how that works... but as long as its straight, I guess it is all good Johnsons - highly recommendable!

Last edited by jaja; 06-02-06 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-02-06, 08:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 186 Likes on 144 Posts

missed this thread, but congrats on the install, jaja. glad you got yourself a "new" car. my wife brought the sc430 to west end for alignment, i have to say, the result is pretty darn good.
Old 06-04-06, 09:14 PM
jaja
Pole Position

I know everyone's heard enough of my suspension - i'll make this my last.

I finally had a chance to ride on the freeway to the airport with the new suspension/bushings... OMG... feels like a new car. steering feels really tight. not heavy, but just tight. also the brakes feel more responsive. if the 405 had better asphalt, it would have been better.

just my 2 cents at 35,000 feet somewhere over the Pacific.
Old 09-28-06, 07:53 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

I've been calling this shop the past few days and leaving messages. I've been emailing also.

No Answer, No call back, no replies.

I can't stand shops!!

I need springs installed and I have money. How hard can this be!?

Anyway - nice ride!

Quick Reply: Teins and bushings installed!.... Thanks TM Engineering