Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

How should I got about supercharging my IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-12, 10:00 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How should I got about supercharging my IS350?

I've always been debating this but decided it might be worth it now to supercharge my IS350. I want it to be separated from the other stock cars like the G35, G37, 350Z, S2000, and TL Type-S. In my own words, these cars are all in the same category in terms of speed and I want that extra power to get ahead. But my two questions is whether I get the HKS supercharger kit for $6K or get my own kit custom made. The other question goes with the first, who can I bring it to for tuning in the Chicago area? I know I can only run about 5 PSI which will hopefully get me 50 more HP?
Old 07-11-12, 10:15 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

TOMS s/c kit from Carson? Big $$$ not too many other kits unless you build it yourself. LMS had a kit but I think the stopped making it do to lack of interest. Your going to be limited to how much you can boost your car. Search the IS forums to see what others have done and what they say about actual power. I would do it myself if I still had my car.

not what you want to hear but you could probably buy an ISF and end up with more power and spend a lot less. Maybe time for an upgrade
Old 07-11-12, 10:21 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
TOMS s/c kit from Carson? Big $$$ not too many other kits unless you build it yourself. LMS had a kit but I think the stopped making it do to lack of interest. Your going to be limited to how much you can boost your car. Search the IS forums to see what others have done and what they say about actual power. I would do it myself if I still had my car.

not what you want to hear but you could probably buy an ISF and end up with more power and spend a lot less. Maybe time for an upgrade
Lol, I knew you would be one of those who will respond to my thread.

I guess that's one reason why not too many people decide to supercharge their 2IS. There's the IS250, if you want more power, you get the IS350, then the IS-F if you want even more. But my car's been in an accident and I've tampered with too much on my car the value is probably like $10K now. So it would cost me maybe $20K plus my trade just to get into a used IS-F and it would be stock lol. Just want slightly more power and to have a unique mod done. There was a used LMS kit for sale in Ohio for $3K but it's sold now. If anything, it comes down to the HKS GT kit but I would need to find a place for tuning it.
Old 07-11-12, 11:04 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Pull the motor...

drop in a LS7 with a 6spd...cheaper than the Tom's blower....probably way more fun too
Old 07-11-12, 11:43 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Or the best bang for your buck would be NOS. On a IS250 4-cyl, would be too risky, but for a 6 cyl IS350, it should be OK. I know many V8 IS-Fs running NOS. But I agree, supercharger is wayyy to much of an investment.
Old 07-11-12, 02:30 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by PurduePete
Or the best bang for your buck would be NOS. On a IS250 4-cyl, would be too risky, but for a 6 cyl IS350, it should be OK. I know many V8 IS-Fs running NOS. But I agree, supercharger is wayyy to much of an investment.
IS250's are 6 cylinders... surprisingly.
Old 07-11-12, 05:35 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

^^ ooh my bad, that's right.
Old 07-11-12, 08:09 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Not really looking to do NOS though. I actually want more power at all times and not just for one occasion.

Guess I got to research whether to get Toms, LMS, or HKS.
Old 07-12-12, 07:11 AM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the 6k and buy a crotch rocket.. bam, fastest thing on the road. Then youve got a reliable daily driver lexus that still is faster than the majority of cars out there, and looking awesome.
Old 07-12-12, 11:46 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with CaptAwsm that the $ could be better off towards something else alltogether. Not sure how you figure $6K, but I think it is more like $10K, at least. Sometimes the tune can cost more than the part.

According to the price here, http://www.rhdjapan.com/hks-gt-super...1-grs184-64030 the HKS supercharger is already $6.8K. Now add in freight b/c it's coming from Japan, you're looking at another $1K. Now you have to worry about the install and then additional work to the ECU (e.g., some sort of piggyback system, etc), more tune, more tune. To me, $10K is on the low side of the estimate.

And last but not least, do you plan on keeping this car for awhile b/c mods like these are not considered simple bolt-ons therefore selling it will be difficult and returning it to stock cost more $$.

Get an IS-F. There is a flood of them on the market now....
Old 07-12-12, 08:25 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with CaptAwsm that the $ could be better off towards something else alltogether. Not sure how you figure $6K, but I think it is more like $10K, at least. Sometimes the tune can cost more than the part.

According to the price here, http://www.rhdjapan.com/hks-gt-super...1-grs184-64030 the HKS supercharger is already $6.8K. Now add in freight b/c it's coming from Japan, you're looking at another $1K. Now you have to worry about the install and then additional work to the ECU (e.g., some sort of piggyback system, etc), more tune, more tune. To me, $10K is on the low side of the estimate.

And last but not least, do you plan on keeping this car for awhile b/c mods like these are not considered simple bolt-ons therefore selling it will be difficult and returning it to stock cost more $$.

Get an IS-F. There is a flood of them on the market now....
I love the IS but I wouldn't upgrade to a car so similar. If it's the same color, I can bet almost everyone I know would think that I put a body kit or something on it. Most can't even tell the difference between a regular 2IS or IS-F. But when it comes to upgrading cars, I feel it's more worth it to get an E92 M3 or E60 M5 since they're in the same price range as the IS-F. I'll see overtime if it's worth it. I might end up with a second car before I supercharge it now I guess. Might consider a G37x and put a GTM twin-turbo on it or a 335xi and tune it. I can get around in the snow more easily with those AWD cars and modify them for performance much more easily and cheaper.
Old 07-13-12, 06:06 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
Pull the motor...

drop in a LS7 with a 6spd...cheaper than the Tom's blower....probably way more fun too
^this....ooooooooor

http://www.speedhunters.com/2011/02/..._2jz_lexus_is/
Old 07-13-12, 07:44 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand what you're thinking and it's a noble effort. Just keep in mind that being unique usually means you have to spend extra $$$ for specialized parts, people, and deal with potential issues. So you're easily looking at $10k+ for a s/c setup. Which leads me to...

Originally Posted by chi123
But my two questions is whether I get the HKS supercharger kit for $6K or get my own kit custom made. ... I know I can only run about 5 PSI which will hopefully get me 50 more HP?
Originally Posted by chi123
So it would cost me maybe $20K plus my trade just to get into a used IS-F and it would be stock lol. Just want slightly more power and to have a unique mod done.
$10k for a s/c for +50hp or $20k for an ISF with +100hp. The F will retain it's warranty, it is unique, and it will be more reliable. I see no reason not to just trade-up to an ISF.

But you also mentioned putting a turbo into a G37? How much power are you after? That's not just a little more compared to what you have now, that's a lot. And it's $$$.

My advice for a 3x0Z/G3x is to go Vortech s/c if you want more power, drivability, reliability, and it's CARB legal too. Win-win. Some of the turbo kits are insane and not the best for DD.
Old 07-13-12, 10:25 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by anxiouz
But you also mentioned putting a turbo into a G37? How much power are you after? That's not just a little more compared to what you have now, that's a lot. And it's $$$.

My advice for a 3x0Z/G3x is to go Vortech s/c if you want more power, drivability, reliability, and it's CARB legal too. Win-win. Some of the turbo kits are insane and not the best for DD.
If I'm already going to be supercharging or turbo a car, I'd do as much power as possible for the money. With the 2IS, you can only do 7.5 PSI max and I watched a video of an IS350 dynoed with the HKS GT kit and it only put out 293 RWHP. That's like about 40 more than stock. Don't think it's worth all that money. I've been wanting a second car to use in the winter that's AWD and been looking at the G37x or 335xi. Both of these cars are under $20K used now and hooking them up as performance cars would be easier and cheaper than the IS. For the G37, I was looking at the Stillen supercharger kit or the GTM twin-turbo. Both of these are at least 450 WHP. And the kits cost around $7K. The 335xi, I would put a JB4 chip, intercooler, exhuast, and intake. If not happy yet, then I upgrade the turbos to Rob Beck ones and it'll be at 460 WHP.

So the more I think about it, I might just get a second car and modify that one for performance and then come back to the IS and decide if I really want to supercharge it or not.