Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Gytis shaved my fenders

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 06:29 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ what did you think of that 2gen GS that is crazzzy pushing it. I think you need to do that with your 2gen GS

I will get some pics to post this weekend when my car is up in the air....
Old 06-02-09, 06:57 PM
Gytis123
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks cool, but i dont think i would shave that much.
Old 06-02-09, 07:29 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

so... what's the cost of getting free of rubbing??? and the cost of repainting my damn lip.. curbed it today!@
Old 06-02-09, 08:04 PM
Gytis123
Pole Position

Originally Posted by acefalcon2
so... what's the cost of getting free of rubbing??? and the cost of repainting my damn lip.. curbed it today!@
Where are you rubbing - front or back and how bad is the lip ?
Old 06-03-09, 03:10 AM
ill roller
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
ill roller ask Gytis as I am not the body shop expert. He can explain all you need to know or want to know He can tell you what was done to my car since he did the work

EDIT:
here is another great member to ask about this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3351245-post24.html

I was trying to find pics of his car as his panel is 100% gone and he has a boosted GS!! No problems and he has had his for a long time.
The information posted by that guy is about on par with what I thought, as he stated that rolling is not an exact science and that some cars fender lips are thicker than others.

On the other hand he talks about the need for shaving with aggressive clearance, but his fitment isn't even aggressive, so I dunno.

okay here it is. This is really pushing the limits...just read his post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4544670-post30.html
That is the type of work I would put into any shaved fender setup... Cutting metal and leaving it exposed without some kind of paint/clear would seem to be asking for rust much more so than rolling a fender.
Old 06-03-09, 04:58 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Actually I have no paint cracks from shaving, I had a LOT from the last car being rolled. And it just kept getting worse. I still think this is the difference from older Lexus and Newer Lexus models.

My fenders are painted and there are no sharp edges. You need to go see Gytis do this and then report back to others on your opinion. I think you may change your mind once you see it done Like Gytis said its all about who does the job and just like people dont know how to roll there are people that dont know how to shave.

I want to see inside your fenders. Get us a pic please
Old 06-03-09, 11:26 AM
ill roller
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually I have no paint cracks from shaving, I had a LOT from the last car being rolled. And it just kept getting worse. I still think this is the difference from older Lexus and Newer Lexus models.

My fenders are painted and there are no sharp edges. You need to go see Gytis do this and then report back to others on your opinion. I think you may change your mind once you see it done Like Gytis said its all about who does the job and just like people dont know how to roll there are people that dont know how to shave.

I want to see inside your fenders. Get us a pic please
I'm not talking about paint cracks from shaving, when you shave you are left with bare metal on the edge where you cut... Maybe next time I have my car in the air I'll take a picture, you can't see anything between the tire and fender now.
Old 06-03-09, 01:25 PM
Gytis123
Pole Position

Here is the deal my CL friends, from my experience working in the auto body industry and from all the classes I had to take to get certified and stay certified in this industry. Every car manufacturer has a different process how to repair & refinish, what to put between the panels. Most of the newer cars are made from thiner but alot stronger metals like mid steel, highstrenght steel,ultra highstrenght steel, boran steel and alot of other metals, which are a lot less flexible. The reason it's done like this is to make a car lighter and stronger. So that being said the people who are fixing ( working ) on the cars have to know some procedures of how to do so. There are some cars that come with rolled quarter panels right from the factory such as VW, Audi, some Mercedes, from Gm the newer Cadillacs CTS model and yes we roll those quarters when we replace them BUT we roll them before they are painted. What i found out is that when you roll them the metal stretches without any problems but the problem is that every manufacurer uses different primers and when you roll them the primer cracks, which is in our newer lexus models, which in turn causes the paint to peal off. No matter that i knew what was going to happen i still tried to roll a quarter panel on my own car and it happened, the primer cracked and the paint pealed, and i did it right with the heat and took my time to do it, Guess what i had to fix and repaint the quarter panel. No matter what, i ended up shaving that panel and the other sides panel also. Luckly it didnt cost me that much since i did everything myself. So anybody who is looking to get their quarters repainted go ahead and roll them, but if your not looking to get your quarters repainted on your new car i would definitly reccomend shaving them only if its done right.
Old 06-03-09, 06:48 PM
msbtt
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, you tell them bro. You are the man.
Old 06-04-09, 11:06 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by msbtt
Yeah, you tell them bro. You are the man.
8 posts guy, where have you been? Ball and chain (lol)!!!
Old 06-04-09, 11:42 AM
msbtt
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by Brian231
8 posts guy, where have you been? Ball and chain (lol)!!!
Sorry Brian, I will try to catch up to you soon. Give me about 10 years and I will have 100 posts.
Old 11-04-09, 01:57 PM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious what I should expect to pay for a shaving on the rear? Just don't want to go in blind and get ripped off. Also, does anyone know of a good shop in Tampa, FL?

Thanks
Old 11-23-09, 09:32 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

what do you do to prevent rust and any future problems after a shave? also how much would you charge for doing the rear on a mr2?
Old 06-11-10, 08:29 AM
dbltakegs3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rolling

Originally Posted by Tonys18t
Thought i'd share these pics, just to show whats possible, worked on Kory's GS a couple of days ago

Agressive fender pulling,,, no problem.
Lexus GS with 19x12s , Before

After, rolled and pulled almost two inches, no paint cracking or metal splitting.
Gytis can you achieve this. If so I need help fitting my rims on 1998 LS400
Old 06-11-10, 09:41 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Dr. Gytis....were are you at

I will say he can do a much better job then you see in the pic

Quick Reply: Gytis shaved my fenders