Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Gytis shaved my fenders

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 04:59 PM
ill roller
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
can you back this up please. I saw your other post that its better to roll the fenders I happen to try this on my last Lexus after calling many shops to find only one to say yes and I found out the hard way to NEVER roll panels on a Lexus I will vouch from personal experience and DO NOT suggest anyone to roll the fenders. Past Lexus and mainly older SC's this worked on but doesnt anymore

Shave away FTW
I can gladly back it up, if anyone wants to offer their shaved fenders for me to lean on the I can gladly put a dent in it. Not to mention when you shave if you rub you are likely to slice up your tire.

Fender rolling is easy, maintains the structure of the fender, and you have a smooth surface if your tire happens to hit your fender.

Why would you suggest not to roll?
Old 06-01-09, 05:20 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many people have shaved their fenders without any problems. To each his own I guess. Rolling a fender causes stress cracks in the paint later on, the panels will not dent that easily, we are not talking about drop-kicking them.
Old 06-01-09, 05:24 PM
Gytis123
Pole Position

[ill roller] "I can gladly back it up, if anyone wants to offer their shaved fenders for me to lean on the I can gladly put a dent in it."

Thats the sillyest thing ive ever heard.
Old 06-01-09, 05:32 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ill roller
I can gladly back it up, if anyone wants to offer their shaved fenders for me to lean on the I can gladly put a dent in it. Not to mention when you shave if you rub you are likely to slice up your tire.

Fender rolling is easy, maintains the structure of the fender, and you have a smooth surface if your tire happens to hit your fender.

Why would you suggest not to roll?
ask the ones that saw my IS350 and got to touch it in person

I bet you my shaved panels are just as smooth and safe as they where OEM. Stop over and touch them. I have yet to cut my hand washing the car they are smooth as butter

Again I am speaking from experience on 2 newer model Lexus vehicles. Older ones you can roll the fenders but I will never roll my fenders again.

Everyone can do what they want here. I am just sharing live experience. Anyone wants to stop over and check mine out please do
Old 06-01-09, 05:39 PM
Gytis123
Pole Position

Im loving this
Old 06-01-09, 05:47 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Old 06-01-09, 06:06 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I give it about another few hours then
Old 06-01-09, 06:25 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Many people have warned about cracking paint when rolling on the IS350. The paint sucks on our cars!!!!!!
Old 06-01-09, 07:21 PM
gs2isf
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's amazing how uninformed ppl can be......this thread is AWSOME
Old 06-01-09, 07:37 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ Its all your fault Eric
Old 06-02-09, 09:15 AM
ill roller
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by habeeb89
Many people have shaved their fenders without any problems. To each his own I guess. Rolling a fender causes stress cracks in the paint later on, the panels will not dent that easily, we are not talking about drop-kicking them.
This is not true, although with what has been said about the newer lexus's, it may be true in their case... On older lexus's the only way the paint will crack is if you don't properly heat the fenders while rolling them.

And I have seen panels on friend's cars dent when they leaned on them, and when their tire hit them after shaving.

ask the ones that saw my IS350 and got to touch it in person

I bet you my shaved panels are just as smooth and safe as they where OEM. Stop over and touch them. I have yet to cut my hand washing the car they are smooth as butter

Again I am speaking from experience on 2 newer model Lexus vehicles. Older ones you can roll the fenders but I will never roll my fenders again.

Everyone can do what they want here. I am just sharing live experience. Anyone wants to stop over and check mine out please do:thumbup
I would be interested in this, because perhaps you put more work into this than the shaved fenders I've seen... Do you completely round off the edges? And do you repaint the part where you cut to avoid it rusting? Have you been able to pull shaved fenders without them getting wavy?

Last edited by ill roller; 06-02-09 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-02-09, 02:13 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you back this up please. I saw your other post that its better to roll the fenders I happen to try this on my last Lexus after calling many shops to find only one to say yes and I found out the hard way to NEVER roll panels on a Lexus I will vouch from personal experience and DO NOT suggest anyone to roll the fenders. Past Lexus and mainly older SC's this worked on but doesnt anymore

Shave away FTW
I am vouching for Mike in the sense that rolling fenders often leads to the paint buckling or chipping.
Old 06-02-09, 04:06 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

ill roller ask Gytis as I am not the body shop expert. He can explain all you need to know or want to know He can tell you what was done to my car since he did the work

EDIT:
here is another great member to ask about this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3351245-post24.html

I was trying to find pics of his car as his panel is 100% gone and he has a boosted GS!! No problems and he has had his for a long time.

Last edited by passnu2; 06-02-09 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-02-09, 06:06 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

okay here it is. This is really pushing the limits...just read his post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4544670-post30.html
Old 06-02-09, 06:23 PM
Gytis123
Pole Position

Hey guys post up some pictures of the finished product, so other members would not get the wrong impresion.

Quick Reply: Gytis shaved my fenders