Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

RE: Best Detectors...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-09, 08:31 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Detectors...

If i'm planning to speed thru chicago... what's your recommended detectors??
Old 02-24-09, 08:40 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends...if you are talking about downtown Chicago then the Passport 9500xi because for the red light camera info. If not go V1. I miss my V1 and this 9500xi has saved me several times but I am not 100% sold on it and I am not in the city too much. I am considering selling mine again for the V1.
Old 02-24-09, 08:50 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

plan to hardwire it though to the rearview mirrors..ahhaha tell me i plan to sell... i might take it off your hand... i'll drive to chicago more and i'm more in the city guy... yeah
Old 02-24-09, 09:08 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Speeding is bad and not condone on these forums.

Most Chicago cops use Lidar or laser anyways, and it's usually too late for any laser detector to save you. Otherwise, get the V1.
Old 02-24-09, 09:22 PM
pli
Lead Lap

V1 has been top rated. most believe its #1. it has saved lots of people from tickets. most of my friends have it. some say it may be too sensitive (can be a good thing, can be a bad thing).

9500xi is still new, but people say its good. you may have to read some reviews and what other people suggest. i would assume this one is sensitive too? but the cool thing is, you get to delete certain spots that set off false alarms and mark the speed traps.

and here's my suggestion to everyone: if you're going to try and speed, don't speed more than 15-20mph(on highway) of the suggested speed limit, or even 10(on local)! anything over those numbers, cops are more than likely to pull you over.

because im sure everyone goes over the speed limit. for example, if the speed limit is 25, im sure people go 35 to 40.

you just have to be careful of certain areas. just gotta know where you're at. i know for sure, suburban cops are very strict. 10 over, they'll most likely pull you over. city cops (chicago, specific), they normally do not care if you speed 10 over the normal speed limit. then again, its more of which cop you deal with. every cop is different. some have nothing to do, and others will just sit there and pull anyone who speeds, over.
Old 02-24-09, 11:54 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

get a scrambler blinder m-40. i plan on getting that. even tho its illegal, ill turn it off as soon as they hit me.
Old 02-25-09, 06:20 AM
woaitsj3ff
Lexus Test Driver

V1 hands down.
saved me in IL as well as WI.
Old 02-25-09, 06:47 AM
brandonfsu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It definitely depends on the cop and what kind of day he is having. I got pulled over in Bolingbrook (south west burbs) going 37 in a 35! I was only 16 at the time and too dumb to try and fight it so I just paid it.

I was also pulled over on I-290 in the city going around 120 on the bike. The car wasn't marked and he kept changing lanes whenever I did so I just took off on him, well he came flying up with lights flashing. I pulled over, but didn't take my helmet off because I didn't want him to see that I had headphones on while listenting to my ipod. Anyways, I told him that I thought he was trying to race me and that's why I took off on him like that....he gave me a lecture, a warning, and left.
Old 02-25-09, 03:08 PM
woaitsj3ff
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brandonfsu
It definitely depends on the cop and what kind of day he is having. I got pulled over in Bolingbrook (south west burbs) going 37 in a 35! I was only 16 at the time and too dumb to try and fight it so I just paid it.

I was also pulled over on I-290 in the city going around 120 on the bike. The car wasn't marked and he kept changing lanes whenever I did so I just took off on him, well he came flying up with lights flashing. I pulled over, but didn't take my helmet off because I didn't want him to see that I had headphones on while listenting to my ipod. Anyways, I told him that I thought he was trying to race me and that's why I took off on him like that....he gave me a lecture, a warning, and left.

you are one LUCKY sob. ride safe kid, you don't want to fall into pieces if you wipe out.
Old 02-25-09, 03:49 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

hahah okay...... i guess i'll go with V1 hmms.... i guess
Old 02-25-09, 05:56 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You want the latest & greatest then the 9500ix...V1 is a great detector but its dated now. They need a update on it. I had one for several years with my NSX and that thing was great. You cant beat the red light camera feature that only the 9500ix has I am sure Vik will chime in and tell you since he had both and how much he likes the 9500 over the V1. The ONLY 2 radar's I would be caught with.
Old 02-25-09, 06:52 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

The largest problem with the V1 is the number of falses. In IL, some construction signs are fitted with radar to display your speed. This radar is ALWAYS ON regardless of whether it is displaying your speed or not. The radar it puts out is full K Band. I pass 6 of these construction signs going to and from work. Hearing full K Band 6 times a day will drive you insane. It also desensitizes you, so you find yourself still speeding while the V1 has a legitimate hit.

I got the 9500ix and it has been virtually silent after it has learned my route. If I hear radar it will most likely be a cop. The redlight camera function is really a great feature. I usually slow down if it alerts me that a redlight camera is ahead.

However, I do miss the arrows. They are very helpful in identifying where the radar is coming from and if you have passed it. My sanity is more important, so I chose the 9500. Let me know if you have any Qs.
Old 02-25-09, 07:44 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

hmms okay.... i'll consider if anyone would actually buy my wheels off my hand... and also...... the TOM"S so effed... gahhh is the economy really that bad??
Old 02-25-09, 10:04 PM
ohno
Lead Lap

I would go with the V1. Can't go wrong with the arrows.
Old 02-26-09, 06:27 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Passport all day

Quick Reply: RE: Best Detectors...