Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The perfect engine for today’s small sedans and crossovers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-22, 11:59 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,172 Likes on 873 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You know the saying, "There is no Replacement for Displacement", the only way around that is forced induction, Hybridization, or a combo of the two when going to smaller displacement engines. As far as the IS350, you can get it to 455 at the wheels, but then it's $8K out your pocket with the RR Racing Supercharger kit, PPE headers, exhaust and tune. Then reliability is affected, already poor MPG's become worse, and the car is now loud. To add insult to injury, an M5 will still eat your lunch...
Yeah and that's the whole issue I have with Lexus, you drop that kind of money but now have to deal with E85 for 455 wheel or 93 for 430 wheel and beating up the factory rings. Meanwhile a stock 5.0, 340i, etc etc are all still faster than you and a mustang with the same money as you is making 700 WHEEL with no concerns at all about reliability.

Meanwhile in German land since the cars come with forced induction you can get 40% over without hardware changes.
Old 11-28-22, 12:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,679 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You cherry-picked a high HP I4 turbo engine making 300hp and made up 170hp NA 1.5 V6. I am sure car makers could make a 200-225HP 1.8 V6 today. It would not be worth it. The only way a small V6 like this would work is if there were a turbo component
I didn't cherry pick anything, its an example. And 300hp is not high hp for a I4 Turbo any longer. I didn't make up any engine, I repeated a slightly incorrect displacement on the engine that mmarshall posted about and estimated a power figure.

The bottom line is carmakers are putting turbo 4s making 250-300HP in family vehicles now, and those engines are way better than a 1.8L V6 even if it did make 200-225 hp. If you drive both of them you're going to prefer the turbo 4. This kind of engine just doesn't make any sense, which is why carmakers have never really made them.

I prefer a V6 to a 4 cyl too, but we can't pretend ANY V6 is better than ANY I4.
Old 11-28-22, 12:03 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Except that in reality, they're not that buzzy and unrefined.

Put it in a CX-5 though, or even a CX-30. Its going to be 10+, just like the Rogue. As a matter of fact the CX-5 is a great example, drive the car with the base 4 and then the turbo 4. That's the difference we're talking about here...its profound.
I seem to recall a lot of negative talk when the 4-cyl turbo was announced for the A45 (I think). In more mainstream cars like a CX-5 or RAV4 or a Kona, "engine refinement" just isn't on the radar. For a Buick, Mercedes, or some other luxury marque with a 3cyl or 4cyl turbo, it might be more important. That's what I'm referring to. A focus on engine refinement as I understood the thread topic to be.

I don't know why you would put a 30 year old 1.8L V6 engine in a CX-5 or CX-30. That isn't what was being suggested at all. I couldn't care less if it was true anyway, I only looked up the actual 0-60 to confirm after you threw out some ridiculous numbers.
Old 11-28-22, 12:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I owned the Mazda 626 with the 2.5 V6.
It was so smooth and quiet.
0-60 in 8.0 seconds, and that was very quick back in 1992.

I did test drive the Mazda 323 Astina Hardtop with frameless windows powered by the 1.8 V6.
It was so smooth and quiet - not just due to the V6 configuration, but also due to its small capacity - whereas my 3.5 V6 is a bit rough idling, and can be rough to the redline on rolling starts if caught out in the wrong gear.

I think the number 1 reason Mazda discontinued the small capacity V6's was costs; to much to manufacture and produce.
Nowadays, like Jill says - fuel consumption issues on top.
These days, the German 2.0 Turbos so smooth and quiet, yet so powerful and reasonably economical - hence difficult for small capacity V6's to make a comeback.
Cost is the whole reason. In it's NA configuration, even modernizing it, it can't compete with a turbocharged 4 in performance and cost. Adding forced induction would only increase those costs
Old 11-28-22, 12:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I didn't cherry pick anything, its an example. And 300hp is not high hp for a I4 Turbo any longer. I didn't make up any engine, I repeated a slightly incorrect displacement on the engine that mmarshall posted about and estimated a power figure.

The bottom line is carmakers are putting turbo 4s making 250-300HP in family vehicles now, and those engines are way better than a 1.8L V6 even if it did make 200-225 hp. If you drive both of them you're going to prefer the turbo 4. This kind of engine just doesn't make any sense, which is why carmakers have never really made them.

I prefer a V6 to a 4 cyl too, but we can't pretend ANY V6 is better than ANY I4.

this Mercedes engine is what a small 1.8 NA V6 should be compared to.

Old 11-28-22, 12:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I seem to recall a lot of negative talk when the 4-cyl turbo was announced for the A45 (I think). In more mainstream cars like a CX-5 or RAV4 or a Kona, "engine refinement" just isn't on the radar. For a Buick, Mercedes, or some other luxury marque with a 3cyl or 4cyl turbo, it might be more important. That's what I'm referring to. A focus on engine refinement as I understood the thread topic to be.
Even in a luxury car, you're not going to choose a small NA V6 over a turbo 4. The issue with what luxury carmakers are doing is they are putting 4 cyl engines in vehicles that deserve better power. The GLC and C Class feel fine with the 4 cyl, the GLE and E Class feel terrible with the 4 cyl. The I6 should be the base power in the GLE and E Class. Id rather see a detuned NA I6 in those cars vs the turbo 4, but not one that small.

The refinement is not so far off that the reduction in power is worth it.

I don't know why you would put a 30 year old 1.8L V6 engine in a CX-5 or CX-30. That isn't what was being suggested at all. I couldn't care less if it was true anyway, I only looked up the actual 0-60 to confirm after you threw out some ridiculous numbers.
Not that specific engine, but a modern version of that small displacement V6 is absolutely what is being suggested. A NA 4 cyl Rogue with 171hp does 0-60 in 9 seconds, NA 4 cyl CX-5 is not much faster (upper 8s), where the turbo 4 CX-5 does it in 6.2 seconds. A 1.8L V6 with 200 hp isn't going to be much if any faster than the NA 4, its going to be heavier which would counteract any benefit. The turbo 4 in that vehicle is still going to be the preferable choice.
Old 11-28-22, 12:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The 2.0T in that car is still going to be a better choice than a small displacement N/A V6. The 6 isn't going to make the same power, its going to be heavier, torque band will require higher revs to get power.

Unless you are talking big displacement, in a small engine you need turbocharging to deliver good acceleration feel.
Old 11-28-22, 12:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,575 Posts

That Mercedes engine is tuned for 221 HP for efficiency, but a tune (or Mercedes) can easily unlock an additional 150 HP and Torque with stock motor and exhaust. And that's only because it has Forced induction, because the tune would change PSI and fuel mapping. 2.0L's have a lot of overhead built into them. This engine is still cheaper to use than a 1.8L V6

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-28-22 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-28-22, 12:45 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Cost is the whole reason. In it's NA configuration, even modernizing it, it can't compete with a turbocharged 4 in performance and cost. Adding forced induction would only increase those costs
1000% correct on that, cost trumps all since most buyer do not care about the refinement difference in the first place and if they do the power increase at the same price point of the 4cyl will convince them. For that last 1-3% it won't there is always a more expensive model.
Old 11-28-22, 12:51 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

That Mercedes engine is tuned for 221 HP for efficiency, but a tune (or Mercedes) can easily unlock an additional 150 HP and Torque with stock motor and exhaust. And that's only because it has Forced induction, because the tune would change PSI and fuel mapping. 2.0L's have a lot of overhead built into them. This engine is still cheaper to use than a 1.8L V6
Yep. There is 100% some major overhead to be had and still remain 50 state legal actually, that's why I have an engine that's basically two EA888s......crazy overhead and no concerns at all about anything breaking.
Old 11-28-22, 01:02 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 210 Posts

And the nearest to a 6-cylinder predecessor to that engine that existed was the M272 3.0L V6, which made 228hp and 221lbft of torque. It got the C300 to 60 in 7.3 seconds.

So now you want them to make a new NA V6 engine that is 40% smaller than that M272, still quiet and refined, yet makes the same horsepower and more torque? Um, ok.
Old 11-28-22, 01:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
over 50 posts in a day about a topic that's already been decided in several ways.
4 cylinder NA, turbo, hybrid, plug-in, some combo, or electric... oh yeah, except for the lawnmower 3 cylinder in mmarshall's buick. j/k

that 30 year old tiny mazda v6? dead and buried and never coming back.
Not quite a lawnmower engine, and quite impressive for a three pot turbo, but agreed…nothing like that small Mazda V6.

As for the number of posts, I apparently started a thread with a subject that interests some people, though I agree it likely will not happen.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-28-22 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-28-22, 01:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sm1ke
After reading the original post, I think OP was speaking more to the refinement of the engine, and how the 1.8L V6 gave the MX-3 a smoothness that wasn't found in Honda and Toyota's 4cyl engines of that time. Everyone loves to complain about how unrefined and buzzy the modern 3cyl or 4cyl turbo engines are. A modern, small displacement V6 engine could be the solution to that "unrefinedness", especially in smaller luxury crossovers and sedans where a refined powerplant would be appreciated (like the Encore GX, for example).

There's such an obsession with HP/TQ figures that it seems to always become the center of the discussion, as it has in this thread, when it's never been about HP/TQ. Not to say that it isn't important. Reliability, power, fuel economy, packaging etc. are all important to consider, but I don't think that it was really the focus of the OP. It's about the refinement that a V6 engine could bring as an alternative to a coarser 3-cyl turbo.

Also just because I got curious when it was brought up, the 92 MX-3 with the 1.8 V6 did 0-60 in 8.2s.

You are correct, sm1ke. The OP (me) was more concerned with refinement than raw power.

Actually, though, at that time, Honda and Toyota DID produce refined fours….other companies generally did not.
Old 11-28-22, 01:28 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not quite a lawnmower engine, and quite impressive for a three pot turbo, but agreed…nothing like that small Mazda V6.

As for the number of posts, I apparently started a thread with a subject that interests people, though I agree it likely will not happen.
It's an interesting theoretical discussion, but there's a reason that the marketplace is where it is. While a small displacement V6 or I6 may be "better" for some aspect (say NVH), it's just not "better" overall for the vast majority of the driving public. A smaller, more powerful, more fuel efficient turbo 4 suits the needs of most buyers in the segment we are talking about.
Old 11-28-22, 01:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Smile

Originally Posted by tex2670
It's an interesting theoretical discussion, but there's a reason that the marketplace is where it is. While a small displacement V6 or I6 may be "better" for some aspect (say NVH), it's just not "better" overall for the vast majority of the driving public. A smaller, more powerful, more fuel efficient turbo 4 suits the needs of most buyers in the segment we are talking about.
…….and not to mention the fact that an electric motor is arguably the smoothest powerplant of all… with plenty of torque at low RPMs

Quick Reply: The perfect engine for today’s small sedans and crossovers?