Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Winter cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-22, 08:45 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,779 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerf
That's funny, it's even funnier when during and after a storm the ditches along the QE2 are littered with compact cars and mid sized suv's most still upright but some on their roofs or sides.
lol you know this is not the case. Almost always SUVs especially body on frame.
Old 11-21-22, 09:03 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,576 Posts

What's winter? Isn't that when it gets a little below 60 degrees? And what's that white stuff all over your truck?? Did the sky fall or something
Old 11-21-22, 09:09 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 748 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Like a Mod said on a different topic
we see what we want to see
Old 11-21-22, 09:19 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,026 Posts

My GS350s have been amazing in the snow. I'll drive the GS in the snow up to about 4-6 inches, but only rarely. I prefer to leave it in the garage and take the Tundra, which has done really well in the snow. I've had it in up to about 10 inches of snow, and the Tundra does really well. I've also taken the Highlander Hybrid into the mountains several times and it does surprisingly well.

With that said, we only get a few days of snow each year. Usually winter driving means driving in the rain.
Old 11-21-22, 09:35 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gerf
Like a Mod said on a different topic
we see what we want to see
Or we can use physics and evidence to make a logical argument.

Last edited by LeX2K; 11-21-22 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-21-22, 11:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,679 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Here she is, my winter beater lol:

Its quite good in the snow, not quite as food as my AWD Lexus sedans, I think because of the wide tires in the rear.

Originally Posted by JDR76
My GS350s have been amazing in the snow. I'll drive the GS in the snow up to about 4-6 inches, but only rarely. I prefer to leave it in the garage and take the Tundra, which has done really well in the snow. I've had it in up to about 10 inches of snow, and the Tundra does really well. I've also taken the Highlander Hybrid into the mountains several times and it does surprisingly well.

With that said, we only get a few days of snow each year. Usually winter driving means driving in the rain.
My AWD GS was incredible in the snow, as was my AWD LS. I preferred driving them to the Grand Cherokees I also had at the time. Only issue was deep snow.

As for what you see stuck in the snow, I agree its usually SUVs because people with SUVs come out and screw around and get stuck, where people with cars don't do that...so of course there are more stuck SUVs. That doesn't mean that SUVs aren't better in the snow, of course they are.
Old 11-21-22, 11:39 AM
Gerf
Racer

Thank you Ralph Nader, now go outside and play.
Old 11-21-22, 12:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The fact that high center of gravity vehicles have certain dynamic limitations does not mean that they are not superior in the snow than a sedan with no AWD. The statement that his truck is "a terrible vehicle to drive in the snow" is just ridiculous. Its excellent in the snow, it just has dynamic limitations that he as the driver needs to respect and understand. You can get ANYWHERE in the snow in that truck.

As an example, I had AWD sedans and excellent AWD SUVs (Jeep Grand Cherokees) at the same time. In snow conditions say, 4-5 inches or less, I preferred to drive the AWD sedan. The lower center of gravity kept them more in control, BUT when you had snow deeper than 5 inches, those cars would get high sided and which vehicle I would prefer to drive would flip to the SUV for the much better ground clearance. If I had to choose one vehicle to have "for the snow" it would always be the SUV or truck because it negates the issue of snow depth.

Like I said before, the fact that you see more SUVs stuck in the snow doesn't mean that they aren't better in the snow than a car, its because more SUVs are out on the road vs cars in a snowy situation, and people are idiots and they think their SUVs can do anything and they can't.
Old 11-21-22, 01:00 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 193 Posts

Both of my current daily drivers are my winter cars. In fact I just put on my winter wheels on my X7 because I got a flat in one of my summer tires this past weekend so I thought, might as well change over now since it is getting cold here.

My favorite winter car was my GX460 with the LTX tires, I felt completely comfortable in that in the winter and it handled the winter weather here very well.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
snow tires make a huge difference. All-season are not enough.
Depends where you live, where you are I agree, where I live I disagree. For the small amount of snow we get here yearly my Conti DWS06 all seasons were a great all year tire that handled very well for the weather down here. Winter tires for any of my daily driver cars are overkill IMO. Are they better, yes, are they needed, no.
Old 11-21-22, 01:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The fact that high center of gravity vehicles have certain dynamic limitations does not mean that they are not superior in the snow than a sedan with no AWD. The statement that his truck is "a terrible vehicle to drive in the snow" is just ridiculous. Its excellent in the snow, it just has dynamic limitations that he as the driver needs to respect and understand. You can get ANYWHERE in the snow in that truck.

As an example, I had AWD sedans and excellent AWD SUVs (Jeep Grand Cherokees) at the same time. In snow conditions say, 4-5 inches or less, I preferred to drive the AWD sedan. The lower center of gravity kept them more in control, BUT when you had snow deeper than 5 inches, those cars would get high sided and which vehicle I would prefer to drive would flip to the SUV for the much better ground clearance. If I had to choose one vehicle to have "for the snow" it would always be the SUV or truck because it negates the issue of snow depth.

Like I said before, the fact that you see more SUVs stuck in the snow doesn't mean that they aren't better in the snow than a car, its because more SUVs are out on the road vs cars in a snowy situation, and people are idiots and they think their SUVs can do anything and they can't.
I never said terrible vehicle to drive in the snow. Clearly I was talking about safety.
Old 11-21-22, 01:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I never said terrible vehicle to drive in the snow. Clearly I was talking about safety.
Its a huge truck, very safe. Mass wins.

Originally Posted by patglim
Depends where you live, where you are I agree, where I live I disagree. For the small amount of snow we get here yearly my Conti DWS06 all seasons were a great all year tire that handled very well for the weather down here. Winter tires for any of my daily driver cars are overkill IMO. Are they better, yes, are they needed, no.
Yep, agreed. Totally unnecessary here.
Old 11-21-22, 01:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Its a huge truck, very safe. Mass wins.
Not when this happens then mass kills you.

Winter cars-zzpgsgi.jpg

Old 11-21-22, 02:04 PM
Gerf
Racer

Oh cmon now, anybody can find a picture.

https://nypost.com/2013/09/29/car-sp...orrific-crash/

Old 11-21-22, 02:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,172 Likes on 873 Posts

Not really, 90% plus of what is see crashed or ditched are mid size SUVs or cars here. Rare to see a real truck stuck
Old 11-21-22, 02:12 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,172 Likes on 873 Posts

Yeah, AWD cars or even just cars with great tires are good as long as the snow doesn't beach you. Trucks simply don't care if it's a foot plus and if it's ever that bad those are what I use since I know what happens if I attempt to use a car.....can't even get into the street due to the plow wall of snow.

Quick Reply: Winter cars