Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Let’s NOT Fall For This New Paid Subscription plan BS !

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-22, 09:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Gen2NX
Some of us remember how the cable companies got us to remove the TV antennas from our roofs and give up FREE TV . They sold us on the premise of that if we payed for it , it would be commercial free . And it was for maybe 5 yrs and now there raking in all that marketing / commercial money again ! And charging extra fees for things like sport Subscriptions / channels .
I’m telling you this will NOT end well for the customer/ car owners . They Might as well just stop selling them and just lease them in the future.
I had to convert to cable out of necessity....not by choice. When the TV broadcasting industry switched from analog to digital transmissions in 2009, I simply could no longer get adequate reception at my house on the new digital signals.

The real problem, IMO, was that Congress should not have forced the switch with legislation, but that might (?) be getting into politics too much, so I won't expound on it.

Still, my cable bill is not unreasonable....about $50 a month, including all the taxes/fees. It started out at around $29, back in 2009.......so, yes, there has been some inflation, but I've seen a lot worse....particularly in gas and groceries.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-18-22 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-22-22, 08:03 AM
richieca
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Its the market unfortunately. At some point in the last decade EVERY company realized it better to keep people paying forever than just making that one time sale and hoping they come back later in the future. Its the reason cell phone carriers, Netflix, and Microsoft make a killing compared to say Cuisineart.
Old 11-22-22, 08:18 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Well government agencies need to step in and shut this consumer fleecing down before it really gets off the ground.

Guess we should start reaching out to our politicians via all their social media channels to get their attention and the word out to car makers that they will not force this upon us.

Come on, each one of us is a grain of sand, together we're a sand dune!
Old 11-22-22, 10:51 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 847 Likes on 640 Posts

Doesn't the National Park Service charge admission into the parks that have Sand Dunes...?
Old 11-22-22, 11:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Saw this today.

Old 11-22-22, 11:25 AM
Doctj
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Saw this today.

this is ridiculous now ….
Old 11-22-22, 11:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doctj
this is ridiculous now ….
“The Best or Nothing” ……shame on Mercedes
Old 11-22-22, 11:35 AM
Doctj
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
“The Best or Nothing” ……shame on Mercedes
others will follow
Now we won’t be able to tell who buys a base Mercedes vs a fully loaded one because it’s all subscriptions with an out the door standard price
Old 11-23-22, 11:55 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,230 Likes on 862 Posts

Whatever new cars I purchase and own outright I will not be paying a subscription fee just to "unlock" capabilities that are already built into the vehicle. This goes for gas, gas-electric hybrids and 100% electrics.

If your car has the capabilities built in to the hardware already then I own that hardware. I am not leasing that hardware from you.

I can understand subscription fees for maps and navigation, semi-self-driving functions and anything that actually requires constant updating and a constant internet connection in order to maintain service.

But paying a subscription fee just to tell the motor(s) and inverter in your car to accept slightly different programming is no bueno and not worth it.

Especially with an electric car there are no extra tailpipe emissions concerns and going about "unlocking" the extra power within the limits of what the battery pack, motor(s) and inverter can take without paying manufacturers for an IMPERMANENT AND EXPIRY increase in power, handling, braking, etc. will be a thing for some.
Old 11-24-22, 03:01 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple. Manufacturers have a choice to sell as they feel appropriate, buyers have a choice to purchase what they prefer. My choice will be a big NO.
Old 11-24-22, 01:25 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 163 Likes on 96 Posts

But we will not have any choice. It is leaning more towards forced subscriptions on everything- even the basics. We will not have a choice. It's not a question of falling for it or not supporting it...
Old 11-24-22, 01:34 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 956 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
But we will not have any choice. It is leaning more towards forced subscriptions on everything- even the basics. We will not have a choice. It's not a question of falling for it or not supporting it...
True unless we all say - NO - lol
Or like you say its forced on us and then we have no choice.
Old 11-24-22, 04:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Whatever new cars I purchase and own outright I will not be paying a subscription fee just to "unlock" capabilities that are already built into the vehicle. This goes for gas, gas-electric hybrids and 100% electrics.

If your car has the capabilities built in to the hardware already then I own that hardware. I am not leasing that hardware from you.

I can understand subscription fees for maps and navigation, semi-self-driving functions and anything that actually requires constant updating and a constant internet connection in order to maintain service.

But paying a subscription fee just to tell the motor(s) and inverter in your car to accept slightly different programming is no bueno and not worth it.

Especially with an electric car there are no extra tailpipe emissions concerns and going about "unlocking" the extra power within the limits of what the battery pack, motor(s) and inverter can take without paying manufacturers for an IMPERMANENT AND EXPIRY increase in power, handling, braking, etc. will be a thing for some.

to me at least, there is a difference between unlocking a feature that you did not pay for and paying a subscription for feature that requires no maintenance.
For instance, unlocking a heated steering wheel from Tesla for $200 total when you got a base model is fine.
On the other than, MB wanting $1200 per YEAR to unlock faster mode is crazy.

Generally subscriptions in vehicles dont work so far, nobody managed to do it and make money on it - even for map updates people do not want to buy subscription (and dont).
Unlocking features in Tesla for one time payment works.

Additionally, vehicle as a service is a failure worldwide. Most of the startups that were all the rage few years ago do not exist anymore.
Old 11-24-22, 05:07 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,172 Likes on 873 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
True unless we all say - NO - lol
Or like you say its forced on us and then we have no choice.
People will always say yes lol! How many here have mortgages from banks? That's the same concept but simply one that people accept, in time this will be normal as well unfortunately.
Old 11-24-22, 05:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

“You will own nothing…but be happy”

Quick Reply: Let’s NOT Fall For This New Paid Subscription plan BS !