Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Electric Porsche Boxster spied for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-22, 03:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,678 Likes on 1,922 Posts

I know that arguing with you is pointless. The rest of us know that people will buy Porsche EVs...everything high end is going to be an EV. People aren't just going to stop buying cars.
Old 11-13-22, 03:55 PM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I know that arguing with you is pointless. The rest of us know that people will buy Porsche EVs...everything high end is going to be an EV. People aren't just going to stop buying cars.
Porsche is developing alternative fuel to run in ice vehicles. So not even Porsche is betting on all EV's.
Old 11-13-22, 03:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sodbuster1
Porsche is developing alternative fuel to run in ice vehicles. So not even Porsche is betting on all EV's.
Hats off to them if they can accomplish that. When they do I'll buy you a tank.
Old 11-13-22, 04:01 PM
gor134
Intermediate

No one is wrong here. No point for argument.

The enthusiasts that buy a Cayman for a flat 6 or the ICE experience will jump to a different brand or move up to a 911. The enthusiasts that want an electric sports car will finally be able to buy a 718.

MAYBE there will be overlap, but majority of the customers will be new.

Just like with the Taycan, according to an interview, “Fifty percent [of Taycan buyers] are new to the brand, so they have never owned a Porsche before,” Zellmer says. “A conquest rate of 50% or more is a very good indication of having the right strategy, in our business model at least.” Mind you this was from 2020 so it's possible the rate has changed, however it doesn't change the fact that EV buyers are a new group of buyers other than regular Porsche enthusiasts.

Because your thinking comes from a different time and you are of a different generation. You're out of touch.
Tons have changed lol

Thats the thing about time. 10 years from now a new generation will be your age now, and they will like different things than you.
Oh come on, that is so ignorant to say. Enjoying a driving experience with an ICE engine in a sports car is not "out of touch" nor is expecting Porsche purists to not buy an EV sports car. Even though the youth can't afford many new cars today, I'm seeing many seeking out older S2000s, E36/E46 M3s, and new GR86/BRZs. There 100% is a new generation of youth that misses and enjoys a pure driving experience, that many older buyers have experienced, less focused on numbers and more focused on the feel, sound, experience, and there will continue to be groups of car enthusiasts 10 years from now, new or old, that want the ICE driving experience.

And this same demographic will be staying away from EV sports cars to keep the ICE sports cars on sale and available for as long as possible, while a different demographic of buyers will be reaching after the EV sports cars. I have no doubt the EV 718 will do it's best to deliver as pure of a sports car experience as you can get out of an EV car, but it's not fair to say someone is out of touch or behind with the times just because they have a different preference and wants in a car.

I myself, am a young enthusiast, and want to experience ICE cars of today and the past for as long as I can before I have to switch over to EV.
Old 11-13-22, 04:07 PM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Hats off to them if they can accomplish that. When they do I'll buy you a tank.
Production starts this year according to Car and Driver. Coming to motorsports first. Deal!
Old 11-13-22, 04:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by gor134
No one is wrong here. No point for argument.

The enthusiasts that buy a Cayman for a flat 6 or the ICE experience will jump to a different brand or move up to a 911. The enthusiasts that want an electric sports car will finally be able to buy a 718.

MAYBE there will be overlap, but majority of the customers will be new.

Just like with the Taycan, according to an interview, “Fifty percent [of Taycan buyers] are new to the brand, so they have never owned a Porsche before,” Zellmer says. “A conquest rate of 50% or more is a very good indication of having the right strategy, in our business model at least.” Mind you this was from 2020 so it's possible the rate has changed, however it doesn't change the fact that EV buyers are a new group of buyers other than regular Porsche enthusiasts.

Oh come on, that is so ignorant to say. Enjoying a driving experience with an ICE engine in a sports car is not "out of touch" nor is expecting Porsche purists to not buy an EV sports car. Even though the youth can't afford many new cars today, I'm seeing many seeking out older S2000s, E36/E46 M3s, and new GR86/BRZs. There 100% is a new generation of youth that misses and enjoys a pure driving experience, that many older buyers have experienced, less focused on numbers and more focused on the feel, sound, experience, and there will continue to be groups of car enthusiasts 10 years from now, new or old, that want the ICE driving experience.

And this same demographic will be staying away from EV sports cars to keep the ICE sports cars on sale and available for as long as possible, while a different demographic of buyers will be reaching after the EV sports cars. I have no doubt the EV 718 will do it's best to deliver as pure of a sports car experience as you can get out of an EV car, but it's not fair to say someone is out of touch or behind with the times just because they have a different preference and wants in a car.

I myself, am a young enthusiast, and want to experience ICE cars of today and the past for as long as I can before I have to switch over to EV.
I agree with your points here, there will be always be enthusiasts that want ICE, but to say buyers of EV versions did so because they were forced is ridiculous. I'm an example of an enthusiast with over 30 years of ICE ownership that switched to EV'S and will never go back. I did so under my own power, nobody forced me. Over my almost 55 years I've driven almost everything, lots of experience with different cars. BTW, I still love ICE, but love EV'S more
Old 11-13-22, 04:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The enthusiasts that buy a Cayman for a flat 6 or the ICE experience will jump to a different brand or move up to a 911.
Issue is, there won't be a different brand to jump to. Thats the point, you're going to have no choice but to buy an EV because thats all luxury carmakers are going to be selling. If customers move up to a 911, Porsche is all for that.

You misunderstand me. I absolutely understand enjoying a driving experience with an ICE engine in a sports car, and I understand the desire to maintain that. BUT, where I take issue is with the idea that "nobody will buy EVs" because he doesn't like them. Thats whats ignorant, plenty of people will buy these EVs.

but it's not fair to say someone is out of touch or behind with the times just because they have a different preference and wants in a car.
And that isn't what I said.

I think Jay Leno put it best. ICE cars will become like horses. Used only for pleasure, and the daily driving will be done with EVs.
Old 11-13-22, 04:16 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Issue is, there won't be a different brand to jump to. Thats the point, you're going to have no choice but to buy an EV because thats all luxury carmakers are going to be selling. If customers move up to a 911, Porsche is all for that.
Sad times we live in hopefully I can afford to one day custom order a 911 GT3 by the end of the decade before everything switches to full EV. And my apologies for misunderstanding, just seemed a little bit of a general comment.
Old 11-13-22, 04:51 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,172 Likes on 873 Posts

How exactly are younger people going to afford this? That's going to be more and more of an issue going forward......

I need to start buying real 911s and putting them in a barn somewhere, they are going to be like the air cooled ones are now. They aren't my kind of car but I know they will massively increase in value once everything is forced to go EV from government overreach.
Old 11-13-22, 04:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
How exactly are younger people going to afford this? That's going to be more and more of an issue going forward......

I need to start buying real 911s and putting them in a barn somewhere, they are going to be like the air cooled ones are now. They aren't my kind of car but I know they will massively increase in value once everything is forced to go EV from government overreach.
LOL if a young person can afford 911, they can most likely afford a Taycan EV. In 2020 my friend sold his 1988 930 turbo for $70k (he bought it in 1997 for $40k). A 60 year old bought it from him, everyone who came to look at it were over 50. Most "young people" couldn't even afford a 30 year old Porsche.

The excuses I see people make crack me up. Sorry about that, it just does

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-13-22 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-13-22, 05:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sad times we live in hopefully I can afford to one day custom order a 911 GT3 by the end of the decade before everything switches to full EV. And my apologies for misunderstanding, just seemed a little bit of a general comment.
Its not sad times, we'll have EVs and we will adapt and learn to love them and everything will be fine.

Originally Posted by Striker223
How is affording an EV Porsche different than an ICE Porsche? Younger people can't afford them. Thats how life works.

The 911 is going to stay ICE lol
Old 11-13-22, 05:36 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Just like with the Taycan, according to an interview, “Fifty percent [of Taycan buyers] are new to the brand, so they have never owned a Porsche before,” Zellmer says.
Any thriving brand is supposed to continuously draw in new consumers in order to survive. The average Porsche owner is around 50 years old, and I'm sure Porsche would love to get that number down to not have to rely on aging customers like some other brands.
Old 11-26-22, 07:48 AM
Doctj
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

just adding more pics
Old 11-26-22, 01:31 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 247 Likes on 186 Posts

Would be funny if they made the "exhaust" an oversized USB-C replica for charging.
Old 11-28-22, 08:52 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,663 Likes on 1,867 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Would be funny if they made the "exhaust" an oversized USB-C replica for charging.
I'm sure that'll pique the interest of the "younger generation".

(Seriously, I hope they don't think that)

It is very weird to see a blatantly-fake exhaust tip on a Porsche. But I get it.

Quick Reply: Electric Porsche Boxster spied for the first time