Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Electric Porsche Boxster spied for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-22, 05:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctj
It looks good. But I feel we are one generation too early for all electric 718 range. The infrastructure to charge isn’t even here yet.
the 718 is a wonderful car as it is.
i expect most 718s are weekend cars and not driven that far anyway. so even charging on a regular outlet at home will be enough.
Old 11-13-22, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,679 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Those buyers will want a new Porsche at some point, and they will buy this too.
Old 11-13-22, 09:04 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 956 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Those buyers will want a new Porsche at some point, and they will buy this too.
Maybe so but like mentioned above, I don't think it will be the same buyer and may have to tap into a new market.
Anotherwords, I think it's risky to give a middle finger to their old customer base aka "who cares someone else will buy it"- but maybe they have done their homework I don't know.
Old 11-13-22, 09:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Maybe so but like mentioned above, I don't think it will be the same buyer and may have to tap into a new market.
Anotherwords, I think it's risky to give a middle finger to their old customer base aka "who cares someone else will buy it"- but maybe they have done their homework I don't know.
I guarantee Porsche has done their homework

I find it hilarious people think these huge legacy carmakers are making this change and are just "hoping for the best" lol. Companies don't do that.
Old 11-13-22, 09:39 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I guarantee Porsche has done their homework

I find it hilarious people think these huge legacy carmakers are making this change and are just "hoping for the best" lol. Companies don't do that.
Well Porsche thought ppl would buy 4cyl 718Cayman/Boxster and they didn’t. The cars were collecting dust in showrooms so they had to put back the flat 6 which now has huge waiting lists, even though turbo 4 was faster.

Consumers are not dumb and demand for EV sportscar is minimal.
Old 11-13-22, 09:43 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i expect most 718s are weekend cars and not driven that far anyway. so even charging on a regular outlet at home will be enough.
I honestly can’t imagine any car person driving an Appliance as a weekend car.
Old 11-13-22, 09:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I honestly can’t imagine any car person driving an Appliance as a weekend car.
Because your thinking comes from a different time and you are of a different generation. You're out of touch.
Old 11-13-22, 10:19 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Because your thinking comes from a different time and you are of a different generation. You're out of touch.
Really nothing has changed with car guys going back to when cars were first made.

What makes them cool is the way they sound, look, drive and that you can modify to go faster and faster. That is still at the center of the enthusiast community whether you have a Fox Body Mustang or new MKV Supra.

The EV cars can’t be modded and have zero sound. This eliminates two main attributes of having an enthusiast car.

Also most of the ppl that are buying an expensive new Porsche for a weekend toy will be my age or older. EV may make sense on a Macan but not on a Boxster.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 11-13-22 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-13-22, 10:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Tons have changed lol

Thats the thing about time. 10 years from now a new generation will be your age now, and they will like different things than you.
Old 11-13-22, 10:55 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Taycan sales were double that of the Panamera's last year. And as of Q3 2022, it's become almost threefold. An electric Boxster will have no issues selling.
Old 11-13-22, 03:20 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
Taycan sales were double that of the Panamera's last year. And as of Q3 2022, it's become almost threefold. An electric Boxster will have no issues selling.
Taycans are being forced down people’s throats. Besides the base Macan, the Taycans are the only cars available in dealer inventory. Its almost impossible to find Panamera at a dealer and production on them has been artificially limited just like it was on 911 and 718 Cayman.
Last year there were attractive lease deals on them even bec nobody wanted them. I haven’t really checked this year.
Old 11-13-22, 03:25 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Tons have changed lol

Thats the thing about time. 10 years from now a new generation will be your age now, and they will like different things than you.
Really what has changed with what car enthusiasts value in cars over past 100 yrs?
Its all the same principles.

10yrs from now - cars that are cool, fast, fun to drive, can be modded and sound great will still be what ppl want.

Porsche, Lambo and Ferrari have always had terrible infontainment systems and stereos etc yet they were always the most desirable sports cars. Again car enthusiasts want different attributes for their weekend cars not more tech and giant ipad screens.
Old 11-13-22, 03:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Taycans are being forced down people’s throats. Besides the base Macan, the Taycans are the only cars available in dealer inventory. Its almost impossible to find Panamera at a dealer and production on them has been artificially limited just like it was on 911 and 718 Cayman.
Last year there were attractive lease deals on them even bec nobody wanted them. I haven’t really checked this year.
Oh no, oh no, please don't force that Taycan on me, PLEASE! Dude, I don't know what to say to that statement. I've ran into at least 20 people who bought the Taycan EV at various charging stations over the last few months (people from places as far as Texas and Florida), and nobody forced them to buy it. They made a conscious decision to buy it over not only ICE versions of the Porsche, but of both EV an ICE versions of any other car (BMW, Mercedes etc). And they absolute love it. You're making a statement as if it's fact that does not exist in this current reality

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-13-22 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-13-22, 03:32 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Oh no, oh no, please don't force that Taycan on me, PLEASE! Dude, I don't know what to say to that statement. I've ran into at least 20 people who bought the Taycan EV at various charging stations over the last few months (people from places as far as Texas and Florida), and nobody forced them to buy it. They made a conscious decision to buy it over not only ICE versions of the Porsche, but of both EV an ICE versions of any other car (BMW, Mercedes etc). And they absolute love it. You're making a statement of fact that does not exist in this current reality
I just looked on Cars.com and there are 62 Taycans nationwide, and over 200 Panameras. As I mentioned last year, the dealers were flooded with Taycans that were collecting dust and not selling. Taycan sales are down 30% YOY - go look it up.

Ofcourse there are ppl that bought the car because they wanted it and it would be my choice also if my goal was to get an EV only car.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 11-13-22 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-13-22, 03:37 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,575 Posts

I just looked on Cars.com and there are 62 Taycans nationwide, and over 200 Panameras. As I mentioned last year, the dealers were flooded with Taycans that were collecting dust and not selling.
Ofcourse there are ppl that bought the car because they wanted it and it would be my choice also if my goal was to get an EV only car.
Haha you must live in an alternate reality than me because I'm actually around a lot of EV owners that come from different parts of the country, I run into them at charging stations when I travel, and the number of EV's on the road is astounding and the number of people making the switch is crazy. Every single owner I've talked to made a conscious choice to buy an EV, just like I did. With all due respect, talk to some actual EV owners, please

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-13-22 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Electric Porsche Boxster spied for the first time