Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MotorTrend: Electric Vehicles Are Way, Way More Energy-Efficient Than Internal Combus

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-22, 12:29 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 219 Likes on 162 Posts

I have a feeling if regen braking was capturing over 20% of kinetic energy that would normally be lost, then that number would be all over marketing everywhere.
Old 08-14-22, 01:03 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
If it logs the data, you should have it now. What does it say?
You have to start it before driving to collect data, it's not always running. You export the data to an CSV file
Old 08-14-22, 02:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I have a feeling if regen braking was capturing over 20% of kinetic energy that would normally be lost, then that number would be all over marketing everywhere.
Unfortunately the Journey Log doesn't give too many details, just total miles driven and the amount of energy consumed:

The details I can fill in are average consumption was 33.1 kWh per 100 miles, ambient temp is 90 F, average speed was 50 mph (all road, no freeway), AC was set to 68F and fan speed was set to 40 percent. Total cost to drive 5.08 miles was 0.19 cents. I'll have to find an app or possibly a device I can plug in that will do more detailed logging
Old 08-15-22, 09:33 AM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

The shilling of inferior products knows no bounds.
Old 08-15-22, 09:37 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lend0
The shilling of inferior products knows no bounds.
Your right of course. The sooner those slower, inferior and less efficient ICE products go away the better
Old 08-15-22, 09:41 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kusala
The hubris of experts taking positions on either side is comical.
Indeed, it seems like theres a ton of conjecture here without any factual data other than the original post.
Old 08-15-22, 10:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

No big controversy. I just think the math is off. No way that all the energy outside of charging losses makes it to the wheels. EVs are more efficient, just not to the level they are claiming.
I guess for me....what difference does it make give or take what the % is.... we have long know electric is way more efficient So what (to me) The most efficient way is not always the right way. We recently took trip out to Mont Tremblant north of Montreal...then to Quebec City. In Quebec they have a very extensive electric circuit network of charging, I couldn't help but think what a PITA it would be to charge en route. The time and energy and hassle is just not for me. We chose to take one of my 4 cylinder cars as its far more efficient than either of my SUVs. $175 to drive 1500 miles, although we did stop numerous times, about 15 minutes (entire trip) were allocated to fueling. Would I trade a more efficient EV motor for a less than efficient ICE? No, as time and convenience are far more important. This winter, we might return to the chalet town, this time it will be with 21 4R and full time 4WD (the most inefficient way to travel) as there is so much snow out there..

Here are some of the chargers in Quebec., we did see a few people living the dream as they were sitting at the benches waiting for their EV to charge..

Mont Tremblant National Parc.

Along the highway

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-15-22 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-15-22, 10:23 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 599 Likes on 376 Posts

But why? It's but one contributor to the overall efficiency and without context it's a meaningless data point because customers don't really know what would be a good percentage or bad percentage when it comes to energy recapture. The only thing that matters is how far the vehicle is going to get you per kWh of electricity. That can be easily and directly compared vehicle to vehicle, and it doesn't matter much how it got to that outcome, be it more efficient motors, battery management, energy recapture or whatever. The only thing that matters is the net result, and marketers know that.
Old 08-15-22, 10:24 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I guess for me....what difference does it make give or take what the % is.... we have long know electric is way more efficient So what (to me) The most efficient way is not always the right way. We recently took trip out to Mont Tremblant north of Montreal...then to Quebec City. In Quebec they have a very extensive electric circuit network of charging, I couldn't help but think what a PITA it would be to charge en route. The time and energy and hassle is just not for me. We chose to take one of my 4 cylinder cars as its far more efficient than either of my SUVs. $175 to drive 1500 miles, although we did stop numerous times, about 15 minutes (entire trip) were allocated to fueling. Would I trade a more efficient EV motor for a less than efficient ICE? No, as time and convenience are far more important. This winter, we might return to the chalet town, this time it will be with 21 4R and full time 4WD as there is so much snow out there.

Here are some of the chargers in Quebec., we did see a few people living the dream as they were sitting at the benches waiting for their EV to charge..

Mont Tremblant National Parc.

Along the highway
Very beautiful country, I've always wanted to visit Quebec. I've driven through the Western side of the country (Vancouver), which is also very lovely
Old 08-15-22, 11:04 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 214 Likes on 181 Posts

MT is propaganda-driven drivel now just like Car and Driver.

But I'm glad whatever works out.

My spouse's company is trying out EV vans with 100 mile ranges......in Georgia and Florida for testing. The 100 mile range is already a disaster, not to mention it doesn't get really cold in Georgia and Florida which will cut that about in half in the winter. All the drivers are byching about it like you wouldn't believe, right off the bat. The range isn't good enough.
Old 08-15-22, 11:09 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
MT is propaganda-driven drivel now just like Car and Driver.

But I'm glad whatever works out.

My spouse's company is trying out EV vans with 100 mile ranges......in Georgia and Florida for testing. The 100 mile range is already a disaster, not to mention it doesn't get really cold in Georgia and Florida which will cut that about in half in the winter. All the drivers are byching about it like you wouldn't believe, right off the bat. The range isn't good enough.
All magazines/articles are propaganda...depending on the readers point of view . And what van is this that only has 100 miles range? All the new Vans and Trucks coming out are 300 to 500 miles ranges. Are those golf cart vans? . Even the Nissan Leaf has moved past the 200 mile range
Old 08-15-22, 11:12 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,780 Likes on 2,353 Posts

I'm wondering the same thing what van is this?
Old 08-15-22, 11:16 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I'm wondering the same thing what van is this?
Of course a van with a 100 miles range is going to be a disaster! I would say they picked the wrong van
Old 08-15-22, 12:36 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 214 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Of course a van with a 100 miles range is going to be a disaster! I would say they picked the wrong van
Huggggge company. Massive. The use of vans is huge.

I will find out what they are.

Edit: Ford Transit

Old 08-15-22, 01:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Huggggge company. Massive. The use of vans is huge.

I will find out what they are.

Edit: Ford Transit
That's definitely not a van made for anything traveling outside of a city. That battery is smaller than the battery in my Polestar. If you look at the description on Ford's website, it's made to go from point A to the jobsite and back, in other words local travel. Not the correct van for any type of distances past 50 miles. It would work great for say someone who drops off Amazon packages or does other deliveries, or maybe services areas around the business (like a plumber, HVAC tech etc)

Quick Reply: MotorTrend: Electric Vehicles Are Way, Way More Energy-Efficient Than Internal Combus