Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MotorTrend: Electric Vehicles Are Way, Way More Energy-Efficient Than Internal Combus

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-22, 08:24 PM
Lead Lap

Received 775 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
In the hybrid hardly anything because the battery is so small.
the battery is small as the purpose is to assist rather than drive the car. That’s why in a PHEV like a RAV4 prime or a NX450h when it runs in hybrid mode (rather than EV only) with the bigger battery, fuel economy is not any better than the hybrid only model of the car.

Bigger battery does not benefit in any way apart from adding more weight!

Old 08-13-22, 08:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
And I can get 99.9 mpg on a long downhill grade in my 430.

I don't believe a vague 10 to 15 percent is accurate/typical overall. Not sure how you are calculating that. 4% at most is more likely. Don't believe for a second that added 22% back to the total like this suggests is anywhere even close. Way overstated. The best numbers I've seen is that it recaptures and reuses 70% of the kinetic energy. If it were 100% efficient, looks like you would need to be at full regen braking 22% of the time. Looks to me that you would have to be at full regen for about 31% of the time to be able to add the 22% back in legitimately. I can see where that is possible for a short period of time in a specific scenario, but I don't believe that is anywhere close to typical. Nobody is full braking one third of the time they are driving.
Let's just put it this way....I don't depend on regen to get me from A to B. It gets me an extra few miles. I depend on the electrons stored in my battery pack, and it saves my brakes and rotors
Old 08-13-22, 08:31 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,780 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
the battery is small as the purpose is to assist rather than drive the car. That’s why in a PHEV like a RAV4 prime or a NX450h when it runs in hybrid mode (rather than EV only) with the bigger battery, fuel economy is not any better than the hybrid only model of the car.
This is true, to add more detail the battery assist fills in the torque gap caused by the Atkinson cycle engine.

Bigger battery does not benefit in any way apart from adding more weight!
Then why does Toyota have plug-in hybrids?

Don't get the purpose of splitting hairs over how much energy is recaptured, EVs already get 100+ MPGe even when they have 1000+ HP. How is that not a win?
Old 08-13-22, 08:48 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 219 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This is true, to add more detail the battery assist fills in the torque gap caused by the Atkinson cycle engine.

Then why does Toyota have plug-in hybrids?

Don't get the purpose of splitting hairs over how much energy is recaptured, EVs already get 100+ MPGe even when they have 1000+ HP. How is that not a win?
I'm not splitting hairs. Just questioning the 22% recaptured that they are adding back so they can say that 87-91% of the energy makes the to the wheels. The 91% number seems really odd, considering that you lose 10% off the top for charging losses. EVs are more efficient, but the math from the article is questionable.
Old 08-13-22, 08:54 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,172 Likes on 873 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
It's funny how people suddenly find God and are concerned about the environment and slave labor when it comes to EV's. If you really do care about slave labor, don't buy clothes, iPhones, most smartphones and electronic items, or the many, many things we enjoy in life. And don't buy stuff from Walmart..most of what they sell comes from slave labor.

The materials in batteries are way too valuable to throw in dumps. Battery Packs are being specifically designed to be melted down as one unit, and there are already companies exploring ways of making it profitable
I actually don't buy non-us made stuff after I found that out, still on a 6s since I refuse to buy a new one. Last pair of boots was $800 since stuff made here is expensive...I have never shopped at Walmart at all.
Old 08-13-22, 09:00 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
I actually don't buy non-us made stuff after I found that out, still on a 6s since I refuse to buy a new one. Last pair of boots was $800 since stuff made here is expensive...I have never shopped at Walmart at all.
Well I can only commend you for that. Most people don't make these sacrifices, or even know the stuff they are buying is either child or near slave labor. You have my respect
Old 08-13-22, 09:20 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,172 Likes on 873 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Well I can only commend you for that. Most people don't make these sacrifices, or even know the stuff they are buying is either child or near slave labor. You have my respect
Thanks, it's a massive pain honestly but I didn't like what I discovered so I try and only buy what is made here. Usually it's really nice stuff but barrier to entry is nuts for some items, a hood US made button down is like $80-120 and few places carry it. Tools are not that hard at least.

I was shocked when I found it out when I was back in HS, just didn't sit right with me and is a main reason I have such an old phone.
Old 08-13-22, 10:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree with the article. I don’t see what the big controversy is.
Old 08-14-22, 03:49 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just wait till it's time to recycle or dispose all of those big hybrid/EV battery-packs, and then let's see how simple and efficiently that's done.
Large recyclers already do this. The entire pack is bathed in liquid nitrogen to get it close to Absolute Zero, then it is put through a grinder. The shavings are then "floated" so they can be separated by density. Nearly all of the base materials are recovered and can be used to create new batteries (or other things).

See here:
Old 08-14-22, 05:14 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree with the article. I don’t see what the big controversy is.
No big controversy. I just think the math is off. No way that all the energy outside of charging losses makes it to the wheels. EVs are more efficient, just not to the level they are claiming.
Old 08-14-22, 05:23 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

And then they use the 11% inefficiency number to extrapolate energy savings with other power. And listing the huge savings with hydro is a waste of time. Hydro only accounts for 5% of our generation, and there is no way we ever get close to the hydro generation numbers needed to realize those savings.
Old 08-14-22, 05:42 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

And the math really is way more complicated. Everyone talks about emissions savings because the generation is at the plant. Well, if that is the start point for comparison, you have to take into account losses between the plant and the consumer, which is 7-15%. And going back even further than that, it gets even more complicated. Cost to transport gasoline to stations. Cost to get fuel to power plants. Tons of variables that make articles like this basically useless.
Old 08-14-22, 11:26 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

The hubris of experts taking positions on either side is comical.
Old 08-14-22, 11:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bob04
And then they use the 11% inefficiency number to extrapolate energy savings with other power. And listing the huge savings with hydro is a waste of time. Hydro only accounts for 5% of our generation, and there is no way we ever get close to the hydro generation numbers needed to realize those savings.
You seem pretty passionate about those regen numbers. How about this, I have a built-in app in my Polestar that logs all energy usage, and I believe it also logs regen activities. I'll log my daily drive for a week, and post the data. No experts, no paid magazine articles, just the pure data generated by a typical daily commute
Old 08-14-22, 12:27 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

If it logs the data, you should have it now. What does it say?

Quick Reply: MotorTrend: Electric Vehicles Are Way, Way More Energy-Efficient Than Internal Combus