Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Is Redesigning Its Controversial Spindle Grille

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-22, 12:16 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 247 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I was just watching this video from JayEmm On Cars, and it made me realize the previous RX's looks have grown on me. It's not half-bad here in Takumi (non-F-Sport luxury trim) form.
His description of the drivetrain is... far from accurate.
Old 07-21-22, 12:26 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,663 Likes on 1,867 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
His description of the drivetrain is... far from accurate.
I don't seem to recall him going into any depth with the description. He explains that the e-CVT is not really a CVT which is more than you can say for most journalists.

Besides, this thread is not about him, it is about the spindle grille, supposedly.
Old 07-21-22, 12:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't seem to recall him going into any depth with the description. He explains that the e-CVT is not really a CVT which is more than you can say for most journalists.

Besides, this thread is not about him, it is about the spindle grille, supposedly.
The RX styling looks crappy in that pic on the video. But in real life when next to other cars. I think it looks fantastic. some cars do this..some don't. IMO

I suppose so!

I was just watching this video from JayEmm On Cars, and it made me realize the previous RX's looks have grown on me. It's not half-bad here in Takumi (non-F-Sport luxury trim) form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBH5...l=JayEmmonCars
But It is a CVT. No gears to shift.
Old 07-21-22, 12:39 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
But It is a CVT. No gears to shift.
True, but, it's not a "CVT" CVT. There's no traditional belt system as in, say, your average Nissan product or something like a Toyota Corolla non-hybrid.
Old 07-21-22, 12:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

True, but, it's not a "CVT" CVT. There's no traditional belt system as in, say, your average Nissan product or something like a Toyota Corolla non-hybrid.
I guess. But Toyota does classify it as a eCTV.
Old 07-21-22, 12:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

CVT / eCVT nomenclature is misleading. The Toyota/Lexus unit (eCVT) is a PSD or Power Split Device. Far more robust and refined with their dual planetary gear sets vs traditional belts and pulleys.
Old 07-21-22, 12:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey689
CVT / eCVT nomenclature is misleading. The Toyota/Lexus unit (eCVT) is a PSD or Power Split Device. Far more robust and refined with their dual planetary gear sets vs traditional belts and pulleys.
I see them both as CVTs. Nothing like a regular transmission. Kinda like a inline-6 is a 6 cylinder engines just like a V6 is also a 6 cylinder engine. Never understood the big controversy.
Old 07-21-22, 01:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,780 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Toyota's hybrid transmission is nothing like a belt or chain CVT. I love HSD transmissions they are incredibly reliable easily outlasting the rest of the car.
Old 07-21-22, 01:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I see them both as CVTs. Nothing like a regular transmission. Kinda like a inline-6 is a 6 cylinder engines just like a V6 is also a 6 cylinder engine. Never understood the big controversy.
I see what you're saying but you're blurring the lines. CVTs don't have gears, whereas eCVTs use gearsets. By your logic they would be separate transmissions which they are. The only similarity they share is in the name CVT/eCVT. Toyota was wrong to use this nomenclature to describe their transmission which again is a PSD or Power Split Device. I will say CVT and eCVT/PSD can be similar in function but in no way are they related.

CVTs manage RPM instead of gears, utilizing a metal belt or chain running between two pulleys. The pulleys are designed to spread open or squeeze closed under hydraulic pressure, forcing the belt to ride higher or lower in them. That is why the CVT is often called “gearless transmission.” eCVT or PSD uses an electric motor/ generators to control the speeds of planetary gearset components. The PSD is a planetary gear set that removes the need for a traditional stepped gearbox and transmission but still has one fixed gear ratio, CVT has infinite. Toyota probably thought the public would accept the eCVT name better than PSD name, which they must have achieved if your view is that they are the same

Transmissions I recognize

1. Manual Transmissions
2. Automatic Transmissions
3. Continuously Variable Transmissions
4. Power Split Devices
5. Dual Clutch Transmissions
6. Sequential Manual Transmissions
7. Semi-Automatic Transmissions
Old 07-21-22, 01:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Deleted.....duplicate

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-21-22 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-21-22, 01:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey689
I see what you're saying but you're blurring the lines. CVTs don't have gears, whereas eCVTs use gearsets. By your logic they would be separate transmissions which they are. The only similarity they share is in the name CVT/eCVT. Toyota was wrong to use this nomenclature to describe their transmission which again is a PSD or Power Split Device. I will say CVT and eCVT/PSD can be similar in function but in no way are they related.

CVTs manage RPM instead of gears, utilizing a metal belt or chain running between two pulleys. The pulleys are designed to spread open or squeeze closed under hydraulic pressure, forcing the belt to ride higher or lower in them. That is why the CVT is often called “gearless transmission.” eCVT or PSD uses an electric motor/ generators to control the speeds of planetary gearset components. The PSD is a planetary gear set that removes the need for a traditional stepped gearbox and transmission but still has one fixed gear ratio, CVT has infinite. Toyota probably thought the public would accept the eCVT name better than PSD name, which they must have achieved if your view is that they are the same

Transmissions I recognize

1. Manual Transmissions
2. Automatic Transmissions
3. Continuously Variable Transmissions
4. Power Split Devices
5. Dual Clutch Transmissions
6. Sequential Manual Transmissions
7. Semi-Automatic Transmissions
I guess I just see things from a whole different angle of view. When I say "gears" (should have said ratios) I refer to gear ratios which are infinite. so both the CVT and eCVT provide this. Just like a Mirai and bZ4X are both electric vehicles.... I don't view the CVT/eCVT from the way they operate or how they are constructed or the feel of. driving. I see what you are saying so....lets call a spade a spade...or eCTV a CVT
Old 07-22-22, 03:09 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 453 Likes on 359 Posts

I'm not surprised this thread switched gears to discussing CVT's, as the "Controversial Spindle Grille" topic has been played-to-death! I, however, am still anxiously awaiting a move back towards normalcy (vs quirky) in Lexus grill designs. I'm just not certain Lexus designers have gotten the clue yet--most buyers who care about design, and those with refined design pallets, find it unappealing, I think.
Old 07-22-22, 03:38 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I'm not surprised this thread switched gears to discussing CVT's, as the "Controversial Spindle Grille" topic has been played-to-death! I, however, am still anxiously awaiting a move back towards normalcy (vs quirky) in Lexus grill designs. I'm just not certain Lexus designers have gotten the clue yet--most buyers who care about design, and those with refined design pallets, find it unappealing, I think.
I think that, on certain vehicles, Lexus makes it work, though. The LC, the IS... heck, even the ES is more elegant than what Lexus seems to be doing with the new RX.

Old 07-23-22, 07:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think that, on certain vehicles, Lexus makes it work, though. The LC, the IS... heck, even the ES is more elegant than what Lexus seems to be doing with the new RX.

I agree that on some it works and on others it doesn’t. I like the IS, and the NX the best. I also think it sometimes works better in traffic blended in with other cars vs viewed at the dealer or on line. I don’t particularly like or care for the LC and the GX. RC I kinda like somewhat. I’m on the fence with the ES. New LX looks fantastic.
Old 08-18-22, 05:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,511 Posts

this quote caught my eye

Top Gear asks Lexus president Koji Sato about the design of the seven full electric Lexuses he has recently shown, in production or plausible-concept form. He says: "When I took over, the first thing Akio [Toyoda, boss of Toyota and Lexus] said to me was 'to destroy the spindle grille'. He meant we shouldn't be bound by the Lexus of today, but make the Lexus of the future.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...l-be-fun-drive

pretty clear guidance [/color]

Quick Reply: Lexus Is Redesigning Its Controversial Spindle Grille