Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 BMW i7

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-22, 09:31 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
No, this image was literally leaked today. You probably saw an unofficial render.
He's talking about the lightened-BMW teaser that I posted earlier in this thread. That was also a BMW official photo.

It's probably because the battery pack eats into the foot space, and the only way to accommodate it was to raise the cabin. The packaging on this isn't the best.
Totally, it's no different than the i4. Hopefully the next-gen Neue Klasse platform is better in that regard. I will say the i7 is going to have an immediate advantage over the EQS because it'll have a proper executive rear seat.
Old 04-18-22, 11:14 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Continued leaks...This is a car with a tall body. Definitely showing the compromise of the flexible propulsion platform.

Old 04-19-22, 03:33 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

And the last of the leaks before the final thing:

Old 04-19-22, 03:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Overall, it doesn't look too bad to me. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the front end overhang is too prominent making it look FWD-ish.
Old 04-19-22, 04:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,872 Posts

I don't hate it...
Old 04-19-22, 05:01 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I don't hate it either, but it's too tall. Shame they had to use a platform that needs accommodations for EV and ICE. The interior lighting is interesting:

Old 04-19-22, 06:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I really like the design from this angle

screen on the roof is interesting. So is the roof glass.

don’t really like. But don’t really dislike.

WOW….Super cheap. Fixed shoulder belts. Lol. And that rear vents sticks out like a nasty sore thumb. Awful.

Talk about an front over hang.

Not so bad from this angle.
Old 04-19-22, 07:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Brutal. Reminds me of this when I look at these pics. Hard pass.

Old 04-19-22, 08:12 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

This is... exactly everything I expected lol. That interior is straight out of the iX, with some tacked-on pieces of glass added to it that look like a poor man's version of the LS500's. It also looks rather plasticky-y from these photos, though I assume that's because they're mainly of the i7 which is supposed to be more "eco-friendly." The almost complete lack of stitching in the interior is a huge question mark.

It's funny how the grille was what everyone was worried about and it ends up being the least offensive part of the front end. Those deep cuts in the bumper... yikes lol. It's amazing how a mostly bland car with such a basic 3-box profile and almost no character lines can have a front end that rivals the audacity of the current Hyundai Elantra.
Old 04-19-22, 08:52 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Here's another pic of the non M-Sport version, with the "normal" bumper. This isn't too bad, the tall body and the vertical bumper do give it Rolls Royce sedan vibes. Not beautiful, but it is a different than the "lower wider and curvier" style that all the other flagships are going after, and that is respectable.

Old 04-20-22, 06:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,872 Posts

I think the front overhang is the angle...
Old 04-20-22, 08:16 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's another pic of the non M-Sport version, with the "normal" bumper. This isn't too bad, the tall body and the vertical bumper do give it Rolls Royce sedan vibes. Not beautiful, but it is a different than the "lower wider and curvier" style that all the other flagships are going after, and that is respectable.

Anyone see Rolls Royce in this design? Looks are subjective but I never like how Rolls Royce look. Somehow the S always looks more flagship sedan to me, even with the new design. It doesn't look as bad as Es.
Old 04-20-22, 08:22 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Anyone see Rolls Royce in this design? Looks are subjective but I never like how Rolls Royce look. Somehow the S always looks more flagship sedan to me, even with the new design. It doesn't look as bad as Es.
I do. The tall body is typically a Rolls-only design element. BMW's desire to have one platform be flexible enough for ICE and EV gave this car a similar look. The very large and tall grille just adds to the effect.
Old 04-20-22, 08:23 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1111GS
That's what I said lol.

More videos are coming out, and nope, I'm still not warming up to it. The worst part is that seemingly the only way to get the non-overbite bumper is the EV version, you can't get it with the ICE.

What's also odd is that the car is the same length as the Rolls Royce Ghost at 213 inches which makes it the longest in this segment, but the wheelbase is only 0.2 inches longer than the outgoing model. That means most of that extra length is from that silly overhang.

EDIT: Wow that overbite... woof

Last edited by Motorola; 04-20-22 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-20-22, 09:14 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Absolutely hideous design.
I think this one is the worst out of all the new BMW designs.

If you park this next to new S580 - nobody in their right mind would choose this.

To me it just looks like a sedan that is from a Chinese company which is probably where the design influences are coming from.

Quick Reply: 2023 BMW i7