Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM Opens New Factory Zero Plant in Detroit.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-21, 06:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default GM Opens New Factory Zero Plant in Detroit.

GM, today, celebrated the opening of its New Factory Zero Plant, which is actually the former, but completely-refurbished Detroit-Hamtramck plant (where my former Lacrosse was built). It is GM's first plant dedicated solely to the production of BEV vehicles, The opening followed extensive negotiations with the UAW. The opening, not surprisingly, was accompanied by a jump in GM's stock price to its highest-ever levels.

While I personally am not the world's biggest fan of BEVs, my feeling is that if an American Corporation is going to commit to them, at least do it like this......in the U.S., with American plants, American labor, and an American Union.

Given the choice, I would have preferred my Encore GX to have been built in the U.S., but, at least, Buick builds the American-spec versions, with Union-labor, in South Korea, an ally of ours, instead of China.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/11...-zero-opening/

GM Stock Value Hits Record High With Factory Zero Opening

• We are currently looking for experienced automotive journalists and editors to join our team. Make $60k-$80k per year doing what you love. We are also looking for an experienced web developer. See details here.

Sponsored Links

GM stock value is on the rise today following the grand opening of the new GM Factory Zero plant in Detroit, the automaker’s first production facility exclusively devoted to assembling all-electric vehicles.

The GM Factory Zero plant, formerly known as Detroit-Hamtramck, is opening its doors following extensive renovations and $2.2 billion in investments from General Motors to build new all-electric vehicles at scale. The GM Factory Zero plant represents the largest single investment into a production facility in GM’s history. When fully operational, the facility is expected to employ more than 2,200 workers, roughly double the employees that worked at the facility prior to its retooling for EVs.

GM opened the Factory Zero facility today with plans to roll out the new 2022 GMC Hummer EV Pickup truck as the first model produced at the retooled plant. General Motors will also utilize the Factory Zero facility to produce Cruise Origin, GM’s fully autonomous ride-sharing EV, and the upcoming all-electric Chevy Silverado EV.

In the wake of rising GM stock prices, the automaker now approaches a $100 billion market valuation. The rising stock prices also follow investor enthusiasm for other all-electric vehicle producers, including Rivian, which had one of the biggest U.S. IPOs in history last week, topping out at market value of more than $100 billion. Rivian stock value was down for the day, falling more than 17 percent as of this writing after a dramatic rise last week.

To celebrate the opening of the new GM Factory Zero facility, General Motors CEO Mary Barra rang the NYSE opening bell from plant floor Wednesday morning. President Joe Biden is scheduled to tour the facility this afternoon.

GM Stock value previously hit a record high of $64 per share the second week of June, marking a new high for the “new GM” following a considerable rise in stock value in April driven primarily by the announcement of the all-electric Chevy Silverado EV.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-17-21 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-17-21, 07:37 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 442 Likes on 310 Posts

You want American? Buy a Tesla.
Old 11-17-21, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Yes, several different GM products, both Korean and American-spec, are produced in Korea.

As for "Wanting American", I'd prefer American manufacture simply for the sake of those in this country who need jobs, but it is not a deal-breaker if it is not. Me and my family have personally owned new vehicles that were built in the U.S., Mexico, Korea, and Japan.

As for Tesla, between the vehicles themselves and producing components for them, the company has plants both in the U.S. and several countries abroad. Here is a more detailed list of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tesla_factories

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-17-21 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-17-21, 08:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Smart move by GM I hope they keep as much legacy baggage away from the factory as possible.
Old 11-18-21, 03:16 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

I was with you until you said with a Union.

I will stop there before I get a lifetime ban 😎
Old 11-18-21, 04:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

There is nothing wrong with a union….it just depends what side you are on. If you are management, unions are bad…the worker, a union is good. If your a buyer…make an informed choice, or don’t.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-18-21 at 04:03 AM.
Old 11-18-21, 05:25 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There is nothing wrong with a union….it just depends what side you are on. If you are management, unions are bad…the worker, a union is good. If your a buyer…make an informed choice, or don’t.
There is certainly not "nothing wrong" with unions. There's good and there's bad, and it's an extremely complicated issue.
Old 11-18-21, 06:07 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

And that's enough union talk for now. Further posts on the topic will be deleted
Old 11-18-21, 07:36 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While I personally am not the world's biggest fan of BEVs, my feeling is that if an American Corporation is going to commit to them, at least do it like this......in the U.S., with American plants, American labor, and an American Union.
Yes, several different GM products, both Korean and American-spec, are produced in Korea.

As for "Wanting American", I'd prefer American manufacture simply for the sake of those in this country who need jobs, but it is not a deal-breaker if it is not. Me and my family have personally owned new vehicles that were built in the U.S., Mexico, Korea, and Japan.

As for Tesla, between the vehicles themselves and producing components for them, the company has plants both in the U.S. and several countries abroad. Here is a more detailed list of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tesla_factories

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Exactly. He's just glossing over Tesla because he doesn't like Musk. Nevermind the 10,000 Americans building Tesla's in Fremont, California, USA..., nevermind Tesla is doing what Ford did a century ago helping shape the auto industry yet again
Old 11-18-21, 07:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Exactly. He's just glossing over Tesla because he doesn't like Musk.
Nope.....Wrong. There's a big difference between Musk and most of his workers. Not only that, but this article is not referring to personalities, and neither was I.
Old 11-18-21, 08:04 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Nope.....Wrong. There's a big difference between Musk and most of his workers.
What does this mean? And what does it have to do with General Motors?
Old 11-18-21, 08:07 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nope.....Wrong. There's a big difference between Musk and most of his workers. Not only that, but this article is not referring to personalities, and neither was I.
Yeah we're talking about American BEV manufacturers. You're praising GM for building another American factory which is fine, I won't include Ford since the Mach-E is built in Mexico. But where's the respect to Tesla, Lucid, and Rivian which are American brands built with American labor in California, Illinois, Arizona, and soon Texas. Sounds like a double standard. But I understand you're a bit of a homer for legacy makes especially GM.

Old 11-18-21, 08:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What does this mean? And what does it have to do with General Motors?
Exactly my point. Ask JeffKeryk and Hoovey, not me. They brought up the subject of Tesla in this thread.....not me
Old 11-18-21, 12:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

But where's the respect to Tesla, Lucid, and Rivian which are American brands built with American labor in California, Illinois, Arizona, and soon Texas. Sounds like a double standard. But I understand you're a bit of a homer for legacy makes especially GM.
I don't get how Tesla or Lucid or Rivian has anything to do with MMs thread. GM should be commended for doing what they did
Old 11-18-21, 01:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You're praising GM for building another American factory which is fine,
Yes and no. Like I said in an earlier post, I'm personally not convinced that the world will go to pot if we don't get BEVs. But, if we, nevertheless, end up forcing a wholesale switch from ICEs to BEVs, then, IMO, it's better for several reasons to have domestic plants than to have to import them.

But where's the respect to Tesla, Lucid, and Rivian which are American brands built with American labor in California, Illinois, Arizona, and soon Texas.
Two things. First, Allen K, a moderator, has asked us not to discuss Union labor any more in this thread. Second, I have never panned any company (including the ones you just mentioned) for building or using plants here.

But I understand you're a bit of a homer for legacy makes especially GM.
GM doesn't produce the Legacy. That is a Subaru product.

Quick Reply: GM Opens New Factory Zero Plant in Detroit.