Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

350 w/ 400shot nitrous - engine BLOWN to bits! (video)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-03, 06:11 PM
ChrisFL
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DAMN....

Originally posted by asnatlas
ROFL... that is funny as hell... I am sorry but 400 shot on an near stock is just plain stupid...

Shawn
didn't see the video yet, but maybe they just wanted to see how much nitrous they could add before it blew up?
Old 10-05-03, 07:31 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

His daddy will buy him a new engine...no problem !
Old 10-05-03, 11:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

my friend sent me this:

that car was built-up by Smithtown Nissan (NY) and Performance Motorsport. it has been running drags for a while and many 350Z enthusiasts have been following its progress.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthr...&threadid=44308

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hey everyone this is Andrew Rubio from Performance Motorsport.
first things first the things that did work:

got the full length headers from XERD. a very nice product that fit extremely well and actually kept the engine compartment noticeably cooler.

got the nismo cams in time also. a nice slighty lopey idle and a definite increase in response althouth a chore to put in.

while we were putting in the cams we decided to freshen the engine and put in new main and connecting rod bearings and new piston rings. but we left all other components stock; ie. pistons, con-rods, crankshaft, heads.
we also upped the shot on the direct port system to a 300 knowing that the engine could at least take that much from previous experience since we has a combined shot of 300 between both stages.

finally the runs.

first run off the truck was the 11.3 at 119. second run was an 11.4 at 118 but then we began to have problems with the nitrous controller. we're still trying to isloate them but as yet have been unable to ascertain the cause of the problem. we ran maybe 6 more runs with the nitrous cutting on and off the whole run and we were still running high 12. this was all without the 2nd stage by the way.

finally on sunday still not able to fix the problem with the controller we threw in a spare relay we had with us and wired the direct port system to come on with the button we used for the 2nd stage. so that meant that the full 375 shot would come on instantly. burnout, staged, light went green and you guys saw the video so u know what happened next. it launched like a saturn V rocket and had a combo of clutch and tire slip all through 2nd gear and when i looked down the tack said 7800 hehe. so i shifted into third, it hooked up finally and boom. i heard and felt something go clunk a bunch of times in the engine, followed shortly by a pop and the hood jumped about 6 or 8 inches up as the nitrous caused it to backfire pretty seriously. i pulled off to the side of the track figured out i wasn't really burnin and waited for the track guys to show up.

now for what failed,

now i know everyone says that the rods are the weak point in the VQ and in forced induction application that may very well be the case. but in a nitrous only application like we're running it's most definitely the pistons. 5 of the 6 pistons we broken into pieces, some large some small, and once the pistons broke i think u can figure out what happened next with the con rods. otherwise the con rods or what was left of them still spun on the crank and the crunk still spun in the mains. none of the main bearings pulled, the bolts were still tourqued correctly and the main bearings were so good we're keeping them as spares.

as to what it can take.

from our experience the engine is very tough and can take a 300 shot either staged or direct port. the other thing is that even though we weren't really using the progressive on the controller it still softenend the hit a little bit which seems to make it hold together. now im not saying that if u run a 300 shot on a street car it's not gonna break. but for a weekend or track application she seems like she can take it.

now for my last comment.
i know there are alot of you who have been following and supporting us here on this forum and to all of you i would like to say thank you, your support is much appreciated. what happened happens when you push to be faster and be number one. it's what racing is all about and when you are on the ragged edge sometimes you end up over it and something like this happens. it sucks we lost an engine but hopefully now you all may use this to your advantage and apply it to your own cars and not say i told you so.

i think that's it, if there's anything else let me know and i'll do the best i can.

thanks again
Andrew Rubio