Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Exactly how are Kia and Hyundai related / organized?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-21, 02:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts
Arrow Exactly how are Kia and Hyundai related / organized?

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
honda/acura 97k
kia/hyundai (without genesis) 109k

come on honda!
Why list Kia/Hyundai together when they are separate brands? Listed individually it looks like: Honda 87k, Hyundai 57k, Kia 52k, Acura 10k.
Old 11-02-21, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Why list Kia/Hyundai together when they are separate brands? Listed individually it looks like: Honda 87k, Hyundai 57k, Kia 52k, Acura 10k.
i list them together because they're the same company!

i mean honda has been yuuuuuge forever, and for upstart hyundai with their 2 main divisions now selling more cars than honda is epic.
Old 11-02-21, 08:54 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i mean honda has been yuuuuuge forever, and for upstart hyundai with their 2 main divisions now selling more cars than honda is epic.
How is Hyundai an upstart ? If I am not mistaken they have been selling cars in the US since late 80’s !
Old 11-02-21, 09:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sorptd
How is Hyundai an upstart ? If I am not mistaken they have been selling cars in the US since late 80’s !
ha, well they've been well behind honda, toyota, ford, gm, chrysler, etc. until recently.
Old 11-03-21, 11:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Genesis would be an upstart. Hyundai and Kia have been mainstream for close to a decade.

I agree with LexBob2 look at them individually. If you do want to group them together then you need to include Genesis. Hyundai and Kia are sister companies yet are fiercely competitive against each other especially in KDM.

Hyundai Motor Group owns a 33.88% stake in Kia. Hyundai fully owns Genesis and Ioniq brands.

You'll notice the sales report GS69 posted, Hyundai and Kia are separate unlike Honda which posts with Acura included. A more accurate comparison would be Hyundai/Genesis vs Honda/Acura. I did a quick search and in the Bay Area every Genesis is paired with a Hyundai dealer, I don't see Kia.
Old 11-03-21, 02:51 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Good job Hoovey2411 on properly categorizing Hyundai/Genesis. Hyundai has been around since 1967 and started selling cars in the U.S. in 1986 so they have been around awhile and are considered mainstream just like Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi, etc.

Last edited by Trexus; 11-03-21 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-03-21, 03:08 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

In August Genesis sold 5k (4975) cars. Probably more in Sept or Oct due to increasing GV70 sales vs. 10k for Acura..
Old 11-03-21, 03:56 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Genesis would be an upstart. Hyundai and Kia have been mainstream for close to a decade.

I agree with LexBob2 look at them individually. If you do want to group them together then you need to include Genesis. Hyundai and Kia are sister companies yet are fiercely competitive against each other especially in KDM.

Hyundai Motor Group owns a 33.88% stake in Kia. Hyundai fully owns Genesis and Ioniq brands.

You'll notice the sales report GS69 posted, Hyundai and Kia are separate unlike Honda which posts with Acura included. A more accurate comparison would be Hyundai/Genesis vs Honda/Acura. I did a quick search and in the Bay Area every Genesis is paired with a Hyundai dealer, I don't see Kia.
Hyundai and Kia are operationally the same company- that's why they refer to themselves as the "Hyundai Motor Group." I wouldn't say they're "fiercely competitive" with one another- their relationship mirrors that of Dodge and Chrysler in the 2000s. Essentially they'll sell the same vehicle in each brand but have a different image attached to it. So Hyundai is positioned as the more comfort-oriented brand while Kia is the more sporty brand. That's why Hyundai had to launch the N sub-brand for its more sporty vehicles while such a thing was unnecessary for Kia despite selling vehicles with similar performance. Additionally, they share the same executives, designers, engineers, etc.

The only major difference logistically is that they have separate factories. Unions have a lot of power in South Korea, so Hyundai/Kia don't have the luxury of merging their factories, which would likely have greatly reduced the cost of tooling considering how much they share with one another. Likewise, Genesis is considered a Hyundai and not Kia because Genesis vehicles are built in Hyundai's Ulsan factory in South Korea, so the supply chain for Genesis is the same as that of Hyundai (the brand).

Last edited by Motorola; 11-03-21 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-03-21, 05:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Agreed they should be looked at individually. Both report their sales figures individually…so there really is no dispute.
Old 11-03-21, 05:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Hyundai and Kia are operationally the same company
completely wrong.

“Globally Hyundai and Kia are competitors — similarly we will compete with each other in India as well,” he told Autocar Professional in a recent email interview. Both the Korean brands are part of the Hyundai Motor Group but have steered clear of each other at a time when alliances are the name of the game in the automobile industry.

Be it Toyota-Suzuki, Renault-Nissan, Skoda-Volkswagen or the more recently formed entity Stellantis (created by the merger of Groupe PSA and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles), every carmaker is looking at partnerships to take on challenges in an era marked by mobility disruptions.

Kim, however, added that in order to “meet customer values and cost of ownership while looking at Government policies and structural changes”, Hyundai and Kia “might share supply chain operations like vendors, powertrain sharing and technology sharing”. However, all other operations “are separate as per our brand ethos”.
They share tech, suppliers, parts but operate independently.

https://www.autocarpro.in/news-natio...9-ss-kim-79780
Old 11-03-21, 05:22 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
completely wrong.

They share tech, suppliers, parts but operate independently.

https://www.autocarpro.in/news-natio...9-ss-kim-79780
They are literally under the same umbrella company with the same CEO. I can't believe this is so hard to understand.
Hyundai Motor Group includes HYUNDAI, KIA, GENESIS and more affiliates in other industries such as construction, steel, finance etc.

Hyundai Motor Group is a global corporation that has created a value chain based on automobiles, steel, and construction and includes logistics, finance, IT and service. With about 250,000 employees worldwide, the Group’s automobile brands include Hyundai Motor Co. and Kia Motors Corp. Armed with creative thinking, cooperative communication and the will to take on all challenges, we are working to create a better future for all.
https://tech.hyundaimotorgroup.com/about-hmg/

Old 11-03-21, 06:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

tesla's been around almost a decade too, but most would consider them an upstart (or startup?).

my point was hyundai/kia didn't start to really become competitive with honda/toyota until the last couple of years. The palisade/telluride combo helped and the new sedans and other utes.

from what i read (thanks wikipedia, lol) that is untrue.

Hyundai Motor Cars (basically the hyundai brand) owns that stake in Kia, but it's somewhat meaningless because Hyundai Motor Cars AND Kia are both part of Hyundai Motor Group.

You'll notice the sales report GS69 posted, Hyundai and Kia are separate unlike Honda which posts with Acura included.
It's just different ways of reporting... Honda chooses to combine Honda brand and Acura Brand into total honda sales. Hyundai and Kia, both giant sellers, reports separately, as does Genesis too.

A more accurate comparison would be Hyundai/Genesis vs Honda/Acura.
agree to disagree. And i disagree because just about every hyundai vehicle has a kia counterpart, built on the same platform. Honda obviously only has one mainstream division. The acura/genesis comparison is pretty valid as premium/luxury divisions of larger makers.

I did a quick search and in the Bay Area every Genesis is paired with a Hyundai dealer, I don't see Kia.
That's right, because that's how they approached the franchising, and obviously at one point hyundai motor group thought they'd offer luxury cars through kia too, with the k900 being largely the same platform as the g90, but that never happened (yet). It would be pretty confusing for a kia dealer to sell genesis with a k900 and g90 in the same showroom. Anyway, things rarely slice and dice cleanly, plus plans change.

Anyway, slice/count 'em any way you want... hyundai/kia/genesis are all much bigger than they were 2 years ago.
Old 11-03-21, 06:28 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Hyundai Motor Cars (basically the hyundai brand) owns that stake in Kia, but it's somewhat meaningless because Hyundai Motor Cars AND Kia are both part of Hyundai Motor Group.
Exactly. Hyundai and Kia alone as companies are meaningless because HMG consists of other sub-companies that actually do the brunt of the work on the design, electronics, drivetrain development, and raw material procurement. Hyundai and Kia and Genesis merely exist to package the design and tech of HMG's other sub-companies into separate vehicles with different brand identities.
Old 11-03-21, 06:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
Exactly. Hyundai and Kia alone as companies are meaningless because HMG consists of other sub-companies that actually do the brunt of the work on the design, electronics, drivetrain development, and raw material procurement. Hyundai and Kia and Genesis merely exist to package the design and tech of HMG's other sub-companies into separate vehicles with different brand identities.
hmg could report totals, for sure... just like GM, Stellantis, etc.
Old 11-03-21, 06:39 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

hmg could report totals, for sure... just like GM, Stellantis, etc.
Even the Korean press considers their numbers one and the same.

Quick Reply: Exactly how are Kia and Hyundai related / organized?