Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How nice (or not) of a car do/would you buy your children?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-21, 01:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

I'd hand my LX570 down if I had a kid.
Good practice, and gives you an excuse to get a new toy for yourself, lol.
Old 08-14-21, 01:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,554 Likes on 1,841 Posts

They'll both want cars I'm guessing. I'm married to a twin, and they might as well have their own universe with the jokes and the non-stop texting how close they are. They are the definition of "those twins". But they both had separate cars driving age.
Oh they'll both want cars. Doesnt mean they'll both get cars!

Originally Posted by patgilm
I agree, at least to a certain extent. My daughter dances and one of the older girls has a new Land Rover Evoque and I asked my daughter if that was her car and she said it was. I told my daughter, don’t expect that when you turn 16. She asked why and I said she had to earn something like that herself. I’ll get my kids something to get them from A to B but it will be used and safe but they are going to to have to work since they think money grows on trees.
Luxuries are something that one must earn IMO.
Old 08-14-21, 02:35 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 165 Posts

My parents bought me a nice car that I didn't pay for. However, I had a job at age 15 and worked all through high school. Looking back IDK HTF I did that, wake up at 6:45AM school until 3:30, then drove straight to work at 4p until 10:30 or 11.
I know how you did it, it’s called old school and that’s what people did back then. I had my first job at 15 at a pizza place and even worked at Wendy’s til 2am during the summer when I was 16 to pay for my car. It’s just what you did. My parents did help and did pay for college but I also went to community college for the first two years to save them money.
Old 08-14-21, 02:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I think that an Impreza is a great car for a kid. Nice, safe, and slow.
It's a fantastic new car for a young person going off to college in a cold-climate with snow....although for deep snow, the Crosstrek version with the raised-suspension might be a better bet.

The Crosstrek, BTW, was about third or fourth on my list of small crossovers when I bought my Encore GX. Second place was tied between the Chevy Trailblazer (mechanically similar to the GX but less-plush) and Lexus UX. The UX cost more, but, of course, is more reliable and has excellent road manners, though with a cramped interior.
Old 08-14-21, 03:17 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 443 Likes on 308 Posts

Late model, we’ll equipped, nice Corolla. “Perfect” car for so many, in so many ways.
Old 08-14-21, 03:22 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 189 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I know how you did it, it’s called old school and that’s what people did back then. I had my first job at 15 at a pizza place and even worked at Wendy’s til 2am during the summer when I was 16 to pay for my car. It’s just what you did. My parents did help and did pay for college but I also went to community college for the first two years to save them money.
Well not exactly, they bought me a car but they wouldn't have if I wasn't working decent hours and trying to show that I was growing up getting ready for college. But yeah. I grew up with a strong work ethic. I didn't complain at the time.

I have nightmares of those days now.... a day that started at 6:45AM with basically no break (except the drive to work) until 11pm? We did "just do it" but damn. I remember coming home and maybe having 15 minutes alone time before just passing out.
Old 08-14-21, 03:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,387 Posts

This girl I used to know her first car was an MR2. She said her dad bought that car specifically because it only seats two, so theoretically less trouble. Less people = less trouble.
maybe also chosen as it's too small to uh, get busy in.

That’s smart. But I’d still want my kids driving something big and safe. LS430/460 would be a great first car. Or a used BOF SUV.
I would not want a kid to have either of those. Too big.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Oh they'll both want cars. Doesnt mean they'll both get cars!
good luck with that. (Who are you going to p*** off )
Old 08-14-21, 04:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This girl I used to know her first car was an MR2. She said her dad bought that car specifically because it only seats two, so theoretically less trouble. Less people = less trouble.
Not the way the insurance companies see it...they often surcharge two-seaters, as even low-powered ones are usually considered sports cars.
Old 08-14-21, 06:18 PM
Dorsai
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

My parents and I had a deal...if I graduated from high school with honors, they would buy me a car. I did (this was in 1987), and they did...a powder-blue 1974 Mercury Comet, with the mighty 200 cid straight six engine. It was the ultimate college beater car and I loved it.

I guess I'm a softer touch than my dad was...when I finally get my new NX late this year I'm giving my '04 RX to my son. He just turned 16, so the timing works out. If I were buying him a car (probably on similar terms as how I got mine) it would likely be a well-used but mechanically sound CR-V or RAV4. If he aspires to anything more than basic transportation, he's going to have to get it on his own.
Old 08-14-21, 07:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 189 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe also chosen as it's too small to uh, get busy in. I )
Hah! She was always a golddigging hussie, still is to this day.
Old 08-14-21, 07:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,554 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good luck with that. (Who are you going to p*** off )
Yeah I’m full of **** lol, you know I’m going to buy them both cars!
Old 08-14-21, 07:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If there is a will there is a way, lol.
Old 08-14-21, 07:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
you know I’m going to buy them both cars!
I suspect your wife will also have a say in what to get them....she insisted, of course, on Pacificas for herself.

If you're like most parents, you will want something affordable, safe, and reliable.....you could do a whole thread on just that LOL, although by the time your kids are old enough to drive, the market as we know it today could likely be quite different.

Old 08-14-21, 10:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts

An old LS should be preserved, not worn and driven.
SUV's... avoid at all costs. They are not nimble and are prone to losing control/rolling over.
You are much better off with an older, reliable (Toyota/Honda) mid-sized sedan that has stability control, full airbags, and working ABS. You need to think SAFETY above all other things, as most new drivers crash.
Old 08-15-21, 12:28 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

We will buy our daughter a car if she really needs it. My wife suggested handing down the ole ES 330 but it will be a 22-year-old car by the time our daughter gets a license. No, I prefer to have her in something with top crash ratings and modern safety features. My wife’s first car was a Plymouth Acclaim that left her stranded a few times. Clearly our daughter will be in something infinitely more reliable and she can always depend on me as her personal Uber in emergencies.

Our daughter will have a say in what type of car (sedan, Crossover, etc) but she doesn’t need a luxury brand name. Now, if she prefers a lightly used luxury brand model over a new car that costs the same then we’re fine with it, as long as we feel she’ll be safe in it.

I felt very fortunate to have the family car handed down to me for my first car, a 4-year-old ‘91 Accord 4-door LX in maroon. I worked at the family restaurant since age 12 and it was more convenient for me to drive to work as soon as I had my license. I worked after school while maintaining straight-As through grades 6th-12th, except for a B+ in high school AP Calculus. At times I resented the family business. I wanted to go out for sports but always had to work at the restaurant after school. Also, working 12-hour days, six days a week during Summers was not fun. I was given some spending money, which broke down to 25 cents an hour. The pay didn’t bother me, it was more frustrating giving up my entire Summers as a kid and teenager…I dreaded Summer vacation and couldn’t wait for the school year to start again…but hey, my folks sacrificed more than I ever did. They needed my help and gave me a car and a roof over my head, along with love and support. What did I really have to complain about? The experience taught me the value of hard work but I didn’t always have the best attitude about it. But yea, I am glad our daughter will have it easier when it comes to her first car.

Quick Reply: How nice (or not) of a car do/would you buy your children?