EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model Y

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-21, 09:28 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,742 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
That is just gross, lol.
Distance between top of steering wheel to glass is horrendous. Easily one of the ugliest interiors ever.
Old 07-01-21, 09:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Ok back to model Y and the review (not 7 series leather or ancient prius). Thanks.
Old 07-01-21, 09:37 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
You can upgrade the leather to buttery smooth kind in many BMWs, with Tesla you are stuck with the awful everything. Again, its fine for the 3/Y, but they are losing potential S/X sales to other brands.
I seriously doubt Tesla has to worry about lost sales because of leather. The fact that BMW is fine offering something as low-grade as Dakota leather in a $90K 7 Series means that there's enough of a take rate to justify it.
Old 07-01-21, 09:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 135 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This is the inspiration for all the EV interiors - 2005 Prius except I think its better executed than most of the new EV cars especially Tesla.
Except that it is not true. By any means.

I had 2005 Prius and I have 2021 Tesla Model 3.

They have nothing in common, well maybe that they are different than rest of the market? But Model 3 has nice quality interior, very nice for its class.
Old 07-01-21, 09:51 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Except that it is not true. By any means.

I had 2005 Prius and I have 2021 Tesla Model 3.

They have nothing in common, well maybe that they are different than rest of the market? But Model 3 has nice quality interior, very nice for its class.
Did you get the Performance? Also, the newer Model 3s have a nicer interior than the prior version. The seats are similar but i think the center console is a big step up.
Old 07-01-21, 11:01 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Ok back to model Y and the review (not 7 series leather or ancient prius). Thanks.
In the Plaid thread you brought up Ford, Zhiji, Porsche, Honda, Lexus, Lucid, GM......and that's just off the top of my head.
Old 07-01-21, 11:50 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Interesting review. I really like the rear view camera with split side views that can stay on. I hadn't seen that before.

Old 07-01-21, 02:48 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 242 Likes on 172 Posts

LOL - the material quality and leather used are much different on the higher spec 7series compared to a standard 3series. We are not just speaking about dash layout but quality, fit/finish, customization etc.

Tesla offer 2 interior colors and no leather options even.
I’ve seen a Model 3P near me with red seats, is that not an option?
Old 07-02-21, 07:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
In the Plaid thread you brought up Ford, Zhiji, Porsche, Honda, Lexus, Lucid, GM......and that's just off the top of my head.
Thanks for the stalking 'monitoring' input bringing up other brands or models isn't an issue in threads usually but when the majority of recent posts become not about the thread topic, then suggesting a course correction seems appropriate. Plus a bmw 7 series has really nothing in common with a tesla model Y!

Old 07-02-21, 07:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
I’ve seen a Model 3P near me with red seats, is that not an option?
no expert here but not that i know of. Probably a custom job.
Old 07-02-21, 09:04 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the stalking 'monitoring' input bringing up other brands or models isn't an issue in threads usually but when the majority of recent posts become not about the thread topic, then suggesting a course correction seems appropriate. Plus a bmw 7 series has really nothing in common with a tesla model Y!
This is off topic to you.
This is the inspiration for all the EV interiors - 2005 Prius except I think its better executed than most of the new EV cars especially Tesla.
But this post is perfectly fine, not trolling at all. Adds so much to the discussion.
bwaha... tesla s plaid... built not as well as a honda civic for only $100k more.
Old 07-02-21, 09:09 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 324 Posts

Tesla uses "vegan leather", aka Naugahide aka plastic. It is very comfortable. The Tesla theme is sustainability.
They are not trying to be like other cars.

And every other manufacturer is trying to sound like them; trying to be like them.
Old 07-02-21, 09:54 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

I haven't checked out a Y in detail, but is the 2nd row any roomier since it can slide back and forth with a 3rd row configuration?
Old 07-02-21, 10:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
And every other manufacturer is trying to sound like them; trying to be like them.
You've fallen for the cult. Hard. I see other manufacturers doing more interesting and higher quality interiors. I see them adapting their existing platforms successfully (F-150 Lightning vs bizarre Cybertruck). I see them making EVs that are more mass market (ID.4, Mach-E, Ioniq) and less focused on gimmicks.

Tesla is awesome for what it's brought to the market and its disruption. But i don't agree, at all, that 'every other manufacturer is trying to sound like them; trying to be like them'.

I was in a nearby city yesterday and in this nice shopping center there was a row of tesla charging stations, most occupied with teslas, all charging. No one in them. I wonder how long they had to wait. I re-fueled my car in 5 minutes for another 400mi.
Old 07-02-21, 10:28 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I was in a nearby city yesterday and in this nice shopping center there was a row of tesla charging stations, most occupied with teslas, all charging. No one in them. I wonder how long they had to wait. I re-fueled my car in 5 minutes for another 400mi.
What a silly observation. What if they were there just topping their car off while they shop? I've never actually had to pay for that electricity as I have free Supercharging with referrals like most of the other people i know. Its just as silly as pointing out that you've spent way more time refueling your car overall than me charging my car overnight. Takes me 10 seconds to plug and unplug once every 3 days...so my total refuel effort is 20 minutes a year (with 0 zero cost).

Quick Reply: Tesla Model Y