Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver tests Tesla's autopilot

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-21, 02:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i posted the article's final paragraph which is their conclusion and that paragraph shows their mixed feelings - they like a lot of what it does but also saw it do a lot of screwy things that were dangerous if they weren't immediately ready to take over.
seems pointless if you can’t take your eyes off the road....these systems allow you to do almost nothing.

when activated in the Autopilot menu, an alert reads: "Navigate on Autopilot does not make your Model 3 autonomous. Like other Autopilot features, the driver is still responsible for the car at all times."
I think the disclaimer should read: “Autopilot does not make your full-self-driving purchase option full-self-driving”

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-02-21 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-04-21, 07:12 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K

Why Tesla Autopilot Safety Concerns Are Unfounded

tldr; autopilot is much better than human drivers.
This statistic is a bit disingenuous. The stat is including all other cars on the road, from cars made in 1900s to 2021. I have no proof but I am confident if you take cars made in the last 10 years with basic safety systems (blind spot monitor, lane departure warning, etc) vs Tesla's the statistic would be similar.
Old 05-04-21, 07:22 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't see what in both articles make supercruise "terrible" and the one about Autopilot not terrible. If you think supercruise is terrible based on Car and Driver Article then you should think AutoPilot is terrible as well.

I did read the entire article the conclusion is more nuanced than your cherry picked paragraph. I also read their test of Super Cruise, it is quite terrible.
​​​​​​​
Old 05-04-21, 08:35 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

tldr; autopilot is much better than human drivers.
Contrary to what the Full Self-Driving package is called, Autopilot doesn't drive the car. The driver operates a car that is equipped with Autopilot. Autopilot is meant to assist the human driver. Since Autopilot doesn't replace the human driver, it can't be better.

"All US vehicles" is a very wide range of vehicles. They don't specify, but this figure likely includes vehicles that don't even have driver assistance systems, or even ABS. It's an engineered statistic that provides some "ooh" and "ahh" responses until you actually think about the comparison.

As Blaze876 mentioned, it would be better to compare statistics from those driving Autopilot-equipped Teslas with statistics from those driving cars equipped with EyeSight, Super Cruise, Safety Sense 2.0, SmartSense, etc.

Last edited by sm1ke; 05-04-21 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-04-21, 08:39 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,686 Likes on 2,274 Posts

As usual I post hard numbers people counter with nothing but opinion.
Old 05-04-21, 08:42 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind, that Autopilot makes driving safer if used appropriately. The human being has to be aware and monitor the situation to be used effectively. In many instances, it easily helps with fatigue and general safety. The horror stories we hear about are the outliers that have too much trust in the system and play video games or crawl in the back or sleep during autopilot. Its only a level 2 system and Tesla owners for the most part know this as its constantly nagging you for input in the steering wheel. Try to trick the system and bad things happen...
Old 05-04-21, 08:50 AM
sm1ke
Racer

As usual I post hard numbers people counter with nothing but opinion.
Is there something wrong with questioning the "hard numbers" you provided? Do you really think it's fair to compare an Autopilot-equipped Tesla to a base-model 1997 Honda Accord? Of course the Tesla would be safer to drive in that comparison.

No doubt Autopilot makes driving safer. The same can be said about other driving assistance systems. To find out how much better Autopilot is, it should be compared against other vehicles equipped with driving assistance systems.

Last edited by sm1ke; 05-04-21 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-04-21, 09:06 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Is there something wrong with questioning the "hard numbers" you provided?
No, but saying they are BS without any counter numbers is not an argument.
Do you really think it's fair to compare an Autopilot-equipped Tesla to a base-model 1997 Honda Accord? Of course the Tesla would be safer to drive in that comparison.
How many 1997 Honda's on the road, enough to move the stat in a meaningful way? Do you think so?
No doubt Autopilot makes driving safer. The same can be said about other driving assistance systems. To find out how much better Autopilot is, it should be compared against other vehicles equipped with driving assistance systems.
Then compare, post the numbers. If you can't we work with the numbers we have. As for it not being fair to compare to all other cars on the road why not? If you start cherry picking you could probably make Tesla look even better since some cars get in way more crashes. Or you could make Tesla not look as good by cherry picking. So comparing to all other cars on the road is reasonable. BTW ABS has been mandatory for all cars since 2004 the average age of a car in the United States is 11.8 this largely invalidates the ABS argument.
Old 05-04-21, 09:29 AM
sm1ke
Racer

No, but saying they are BS without any counter numbers is not an argument.
I never said it was a BS statistic. It's just a heavily biased statistic, and I explained why.

How many 1997 Honda's on the road, enough to move the stat in a meaningful way? Do you think so?
I think the 1997 Honda was just an example meant to represent all of the vehicles that do not have driver assistance systems. That should have been obvious, sorry if it wasn't.

Yes, I think that number might be enough to influence the statistic. That's why I brought it up.

Then compare, post the numbers. If you can't we work with the numbers we have. As for it not being fair to compare to all other cars on the road why not? If you start cherry picking you could probably make Tesla look even better since some cars get in way more crashes. Or you could make Tesla not look as good by cherry picking. So comparing to all other cars on the road is reasonable. BTW ABS has been mandatory for all cars since 2004 the average age of a car in the United States is 11.8 this largely invalidates the ABS argument.
I don't have the numbers because I didn't conduct the study. I think the stat is disingenuous (and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so). It's a statistic, sure, but it has an inherent bias towards Tesla because, as explained previously, it compares Autopilot-equipped Teslas with all other US vehicles on the road. I don't know how to make my point more clear, so I'll just leave it at that.
Old 05-04-21, 09:43 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Bottom line is a Tesla using autopilot is much better than other cars on average, there has been no attempt to hide underlying numbers so what's the problem? A win is a win especially when it comes to safety. If other driver assistance tech is as good or better than Tesla then fantastic.
Old 05-04-21, 09:45 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

Wonder if they figured out yet if the guy in the most recent Tesla Autopilot crash a week ago or so was in the driver's seat or if he crawled out of it trying to escape.
Old 05-04-21, 09:49 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

For clarity:
“In the 4th quarter, we registered one accident for every 3.07 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.10 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.64 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles.”
source
This is a year old but should be about the same now (probably better since autopilot keeps improving).

Not only is Tesla better than other cars on average but autopilot in a Tesla is safer than not using it.
Old 05-04-21, 10:01 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I don't have the numbers because I didn't conduct the study. I think the stat is disingenuous (and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so). It's a statistic, sure, but it has an inherent bias towards Tesla because, as explained previously, it compares Autopilot-equipped Teslas with all other US vehicles on the road. I don't know how to make my point more clear, so I'll just leave it at that.
agree, a statistical comparison to all cars on average isn’t really a useful comparison when used to claim Tesla safety superiority.

Have there been any studies specifically comparing Tesla safety to modern cars with modern safety systems built the same era? That would be a more compelling discussion and proof point.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-04-21 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-04-21, 10:12 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
agree, a statistical comparison to all cars on average isn’t really a useful comparison when used to claim Tesla safety superiority.
Then compare Tesla to Tesla if you chose to discount any comparison to other cars.
Old 05-04-21, 10:22 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind, that Autopilot makes driving safer if used appropriately. The human being has to be aware and monitor the situation to be used effectively. In many instances, it easily helps with fatigue and general safety. The horror stories we hear about are the outliers that have too much trust in the system and play video games or crawl in the back or sleep during autopilot. Its only a level 2 system and Tesla owners for the most part know this as its constantly nagging you for input in the steering wheel. Try to trick the system and bad things happen...
The problem is too many people are too stupid to use autopilot appropriately, and will try to shift blame when they get into a crash.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver tests Tesla's autopilot