Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

EV battery sizes, ranges, and Tesla exaggerations

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-21, 08:13 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I have seen several of these Mustang E SUVs and they look good from the rear due to the distinctive Mustang taillights. A neighbor a block from me recently bought one. From the side and front - it looks like any other entry level SUV, definitely not $50k.

I was walking today around my neighborhood and saw a Tesla sitting in the driveway plugged in with a long charging cable into the garage. Not a pretty site - can’t imagine having millions of these hideous wires everywhere.
Old 03-25-21, 08:23 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I have seen several of these Mustang E SUVs and they look good from the rear due to the distinctive Mustang taillights. A neighbor a block from me recently bought one. From the side and front - it looks like any other entry level SUV, definitely not $50k.

I was walking today around my neighborhood and saw a Tesla sitting in the driveway plugged in with a long charging cable into the garage. Not a pretty site - can’t imagine having millions of these hideous wires everywhere.
I am surprised to see two Mach E’s already in our neighborhood. Ford is definitely getting the public’s attention. Personally, the MME isn’t attractive to me, especially the bulbous nose cone with black molding. Performance wise it seems more than adequate and decent range. Interesting that they removed door handles in favor of little fins (on the front doors only). I guess that’s their way of doing aerodynamics without appearing to copy Tesla.

Interesting that the owner has a garage but doesn’t charge their car in the garage. Too many people rely on their garage as a shed or storage. I suppose it is much cheaper than renting public storage lockers. I am too paranoid leaving my car parked overnight outside my home. Someone could just break into your car and trigger the garage door opener and steal more stuff or get into your house.
Old 03-25-21, 08:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Do those charging-cables attach securely and/or lock? Otherwise, bored kids with nothing better to do may come along and make a fad of disconnecting them.
Old 03-25-21, 08:28 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Do those charging-cables attach securely and/or lock? Otherwise, bored kids with nothing better to do may come along and make a fad of disconnecting them.
You can't. The Tesla chargers lock into the car. I assume most people have the plug inside the garage as our neighborhood also has outside parked Teslas. Also, if you try to unplug the car without the key, you'll be captured in the car security video.
Old 03-25-21, 08:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,784 Likes on 2,357 Posts

How does Ford do it? Only thing I've seen is people having issues trying to get the charging cycle to start. Buggy software or maybe hardware problems.
Old 03-25-21, 11:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,513 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'm surprised 2 of them actually got the EPA rated range . In real world, its about 80% of the EPA range driving normal.
by "in real world" do you mean tesla, or you know 'real world' results of the other cars too? Alex on autos said he got exactly EPA results on his mach e on mostly all highway test. i've seen reviews of other vehicles like hyundai kona ev showing they get at or BETTER that EPA tests.

as i said when i started this thread, tesla appears to brag about results that NO ONE gets. That's my issue. And if someone says well they're bragging about an EPA test result, well guess who does the testing for EPA scores... generally the manufacturer, not the EPA!

Old 03-25-21, 11:25 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
by "in real world" do you mean tesla, or you know 'real world' results of the other cars too? Alex on autos said he got exactly EPA results on his mostly all highway test. i've seen reviews of other vehicles like hyundai kona ev showing they get at or BETTER that EPA tests.

as i said when i started this thread, tesla appears to brag about results that NO ONE gets. That's my issue. And if someone says well they're bragging about an EPA test result, well guess who does the testing for EPA scores... generally the manufacturer, not the EPA!

It's obvious I was talking about Tesla as they stated 2 out of their 6 Teslas got the EPA while the other 4 got about 80-90%. Didn't you read the article? Also, driving around 65mph isn't what the EPA lab tests mimic. It's 55% city vs 45% highway so average speed is typically lower.

EPA sets the test rules and the OEMs have to do the test. They give you an option of 2 cycle vs 5 cycle and the 5 cycle gives overly optimistic figures but the EPA allows it. So blame the EPA for their idiotic rules. If a company can exploit the rules legally, don't you think they will try.

Honestly, Teslas efficiency is still by far the best and they can offer smaller batteries than the competition and keep prices down. Yes some companies like Ford actually underestimate their range and get the EPA figures but I haven't had a single ICE that gets anywhere near the EPA figures. It's a hopelessly optimistic figure on most cars. Most people that buy Teslas have done a little research and understand that you just won't get the EPA miles. They've made the decision that 250 miles is acceptable for their use case.
Old 03-26-21, 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I I haven't had a single ICE that gets anywhere near the EPA figures. It's a hopelessly optimistic figure on most cars.
There are many factors that affect gas mileage, but, in general, the two most significant are temperatures/weather and your right foot. You can't do much about the weather, but you can do something about a heavy right foot. My experience (with very conservative driving habits) has been that I get close to the EPA city-mileages in warm weather, and, regardless of weather, usually better-than-EPA on straight level highways.
Old 03-26-21, 07:17 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 284 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
That test shows reserve to completely dead, what were the total ranges?
Here they are

Old 03-26-21, 07:23 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Here they are
that Porsche at number two seems anomalous. Why would they underrate it so much?
Old 03-26-21, 07:40 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,784 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Here they are
That's not the ranges from this particular test.
Old 03-26-21, 07:59 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There are many factors that affect gas mileage, but, in general, the two most significant are temperatures/weather and your right foot. You can't do much about the weather, but you can do something about a heavy right foot. My experience (with very conservative driving habits) has been that I get close to the EPA city-mileages in warm weather, and, regardless of weather, usually better-than-EPA on straight level highways.
The other interesting thing about EVs is that higher power ratings may not impact range all that much. A 520hp Model 3 Performance has the same range as the regular AWD Model 3 with only 350hp with the same tires. Thats because if you drive both the same way, they will get the same range but of course, people will utilize the horsepower they have so the Performance models typically see lower range in real life. Very different than ICE where higher power levels directly impact efficiency.
Old 03-26-21, 08:05 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by sdls
that Porsche at number two seems anomalous. Why would they underrate it so much?
Apparently "Porsche under promises and over delivers"

Last edited by Hameed; 03-26-21 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-26-21, 10:58 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Apparently "Porsche under promises and over delivers"
but since EVs are marketed on range, why would they go against their own interests by underrating their range by such a huge margin?
Old 03-26-21, 11:02 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by sdls
but since EVs are marketed on range, why would they go against their own interests by underrating their range by such a huge margin?
Yeah agreed, I don't know why they do that. It's almost as if they are stating a "worst-case" scenario and preparing their potential customers so that threads like this don't exist lol - about "Tesla lying optimistically about their range".

Quick Reply: EV battery sizes, ranges, and Tesla exaggerations