Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New 2021 Lexus GX460: Thoughts on Deal? + First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-20, 04:46 PM
aabassi
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New 2021 Lexus GX460: Thoughts on Deal? + First Impressions

So the weekend before Thanksgiving break, my family decided to purchase a new 2021 Lexus GX460 Premium model. There were a couple of factors that played into this. First off, we've been looking for a family SUV for some time now, something reliable for long term owning and also somewhat rugged, as we road trip a lot and on occasion do some light off roading and travel through adverse conditions. Our last family car was an aging Toyota Sienna that we still have and use. One condition we had is that whatever vehicle it was had to have 0% financing. We're Muslim, so we try to avoid interest as much as possible. So when we heard Lexus was offering 0% financing for 60 months and a $4,000 rebate for Costco members, we jumped into the fray. I started searching (I'm the resident car geek of the family) on Tuesday, and on Saturday we picked up a 2021 GX460 Premium with the Premium Plus package, all weather mats, tow hitch, wood and leather trimmed heated steering wheel, and dark rims for what I thought was a great deal. The interior is Sepia (Nu-Luxe), and the exterior is Nightfall Mica. MSRP was $60,765+tax, but after negotiation with multiple dealerships and sending different quotes, we got our monthly payment to $900 (tax included) with a $5,000 down payment. We've taken a road trip to Oregon with it recently, and experienced some heavy snowfall, in which this truck did great! Would love to hear thoughts on if the deal we got is good or not. I sent it to several other local dealerships, but no one was able to beat or even match it, or so they said.
Positives: Styling is imo excellent! Looks beefy, yet elegant and luxurious. The big grille works here. The Nu-luxe is surprisingly great. Feels and looks really nice, better than many real leathers. Mark Levinson audio system is, ofc, wonderful. 4wd system works very well.
Cons: Fuel economy. Averaged 21mpg on the trip home, but more like 16-17 for everyday driving. The trunk space is also pretty bad, hence the rooftop cargo box. Third row is not terrible if you're 5'8< with second row slid all the way forward, but head room even then is tight. Also, feels like a truck, which could be a pro or con depending on what you like. Infotainment is annoying, but my family is more old school so it doesn't bother us too much.
Overall, we're pretty happy with this truck so far. It's definitely not for everyone, but I recommend to those looking for a family SUV that can also handle some off road duty and will outlive them.

Old 12-30-20, 04:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Oh wow. Congratulations. Lexus/Toyota body on frame suvs are so satisfying

You got a PHENOMENAL deal on this with zero percent.

As-Salam

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-30-20 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-30-20, 04:52 PM
aabassi
Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thanks . We're loving it so far!
Old 12-30-20, 04:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by aabassi
Thanks . We're loving it so far!
Look up Torsen centre differential....unique to Toyota and Lexus Body on frame suvs.
Old 12-30-20, 04:59 PM
aabassi
Driver

We used the center diff lock in the snow at one point. Helped us in a slippery situation.
Old 12-30-20, 06:45 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! Out of pure ignorance, what's the connection with being Muslim and avoiding interest? Is that just a cultural norm?
Old 12-30-20, 08:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Congratulations on your new GX. Best of luck with it. One thing I like about the GX compared to regular crossover SUVS is that the GX is much more solidly built, with a far heavier frame. It is truck-based rather than car-based, which will also help with the towing-capability.

The Nu-luxe is surprisingly great. Feels and looks really nice, better than many real leathers.
Yes, I've said that for years about the excellent feel of the NuLuxe...can't beat it for anything that will make the cows happy.

As far as the issue of avoiding interest goes, it needs to be defined just what 'Interest" would be in any given case. For example, if the general inflation rate in the economy is around 2% (which means that the money will lose roughly 2% of its value in a year), then if someone charges you 2% interest on your loan, in effect, it will not be any "interest" at all, because the person issuing the loan will not make any profit on it....he or she will simply recover what inflation eats up. You could sign for a loan in that case, and not have to justify it to your Imam.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-30-20 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-30-20, 11:17 PM
aabassi
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations on your new GX. Best of luck with it. One thing I like about the GX compared to regular crossover SUVS is that the GX is much more solidly built, with a far heavier frame. It is truck-based rather than car-based, which will also help with the towing-capability.

Yes, I've said that for years about the excellent feel of the NuLuxe...can't beat it for anything that will make the cows happy.

As far as the issue of avoiding interest goes, it needs to be defined just what 'Interest" would be in any given case. For example, if the general inflation rate in the economy is around 2% (which means that the money will lose roughly 2% of its value in a year), then if someone charges you 2% interest on your loan, in effect, it will not be any "interest" at all, because the person issuing the loan will not make any profit on it....he or she will simply recover what inflation eats up. You could sign for a loan in that case, and not have to justify it to your Imam.
Yep. Not a crossover fan. Also, never thought I'd like any fake leather but the NuLuxe is awesome! In terms of that question, ideally there wouldn't be inflation from my limited understanding in an Islamic economy. But in those circumstances, I don't really have an answer. The definition of interest is highly debated. It's impossible to not deal with it at all in modern day Western society, but we try our best.
Old 12-30-20, 11:19 PM
aabassi
Driver

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Interesting - learn something new every day! It caught me off guard a bit because I have a Muslim friend who was not afraid of high interest auto loans in our early 20s... haha Then again, he's not exactly the model you'd want to follow - regardless of beliefs!

Thanks for humoring my ignorance!
Haha looks like you answered your own question . We try our best to avoid interest where we can. Glad I was able to share that with you.
Old 12-31-20, 10:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nightfall Mica on Sepia is a striking combination
Old 12-31-20, 10:29 AM
aabassi
Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nightfall Mica on Sepia is a striking combination
Absolutely. We saw one with the same Nightfall Mica exterior and Sepia interior, but it had the silver/chrome rims. The black/dark rims make a huge difference imo.
Old 12-31-20, 04:15 PM
aabassi
Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

You got a PHENOMENAL deal on this with zero percent.

As-Salam
Wa'laikum :-). Good to know. I thought it was a good deal, as no one else was able to match or beat it, but always good to check!
Old 01-01-21, 10:57 AM
aabassi
Driver

Originally Posted by davyjordi
...congratulations on your purchase -- it'll serve you for many years to come!
Hahaha. Thanks! We're looking forward to stretching its legs some more.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-01-21 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-01-21, 12:08 PM
RoyGBiv
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Nice new ride

As a owner of a 2014, the 2021 is stylin'. Nice ride i like the roof box. I put aftermarket roof rails (like the gx470) on mine. And I love the dark rims. I gotta get new tyres soon and thinking of switching from base rims, or just paint them semi-gloss black.
Old 01-01-21, 08:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,387 Posts

(Comparative religious discussion removed, thanks.)

Quick Reply: New 2021 Lexus GX460: Thoughts on Deal? + First Impressions