Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Hyundai Santa Fe "Refresh"

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-20, 12:48 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 453 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ugly front end and the touchscreen/vent area is weak....
Agreed...just when I thought grills couldn't get any uglier!
Old 07-03-20, 02:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Is it just an oddity of the photo or is the navigation screen trapezoidal?
Old 07-03-20, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Is it just an oddity of the photo or is the navigation screen trapezoidal?

Here's another shot, Dave.....from a different angle. The screen itself appears to be a perfect rectangle, although the plastic frame/housing may be (very) slightly trapezoidal towards the bottom.

Old 07-03-20, 03:15 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Again these interiors are really great places to be. The design, color contrast, heck full LCD panels IP, and super wide HD panels are awesome. The exterior is not my cup of tea, and reminds me of this, where they decided to split the headlights and DRLs etc. Either way, its an impressive vehicle for those who can stomach the exterior.

Old 07-03-20, 07:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,508 Posts

To me, white is the WORST color since it seems to accentuate every contrasting piece (grilles, trim, etc). I think in a darker color this car will look a lot nicer, but i still think it looks decent outside either way. I personally think it's head and shoulders better looking than a rav4. I think the CR-V is the benchmark though.
Old 07-04-20, 07:00 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

It's out in Korea. Reviewer is claiming that it'll receive the new 2.5 turbo that's in the recent Genesis models in addition to the hybrid powertrains, paired with an 8-speed wet DCT.

With that confirmed, pretty much nothing mechanically was carried over from the pre-facelift model.
Old 07-04-20, 08:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Double-laminated side windows in first and second row - impressive!
Old 07-04-20, 08:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Double-laminated side windows in first and second row - impressive!

Nothing new. The Buick Quiet-Tuning process has been using double-laminated glass (and triple-sealed doors) for years. But, Hey.....nothing wrong with Hyundai using a similar process. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Old 07-04-20, 09:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nothing new. The Buick Quiet-Tuning process has been using double-laminated glass (and triple-sealed doors) for years. But, Hey.....nothing wrong with Hyundai using a similar process. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
i don't think that's the case on any buick today. On the avenir enclave spec all i see is 'acoustic laminated windshield'.
Old 07-05-20, 08:19 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Except that Buick is supposed to be in a class ahead of Hyundai.
Old 10-12-20, 10:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe gets more powerful and efficient engines

It also gets a new more luxurious top trim level

After showing the 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe back in June, Hyundai has finally seen fit to give us details on what will power the updated crossover. The entire engine lineup has been changed to larger, more powerful and more efficient engines. And now there's a hybrid.

The base engine is a naturally aspirated 2.5-liter four-cylinder, replacing the 2.4-liter unit. Power increases by 6 horsepower to 191 and 4 pound-feet of torque to 182. It continues to use an eight-speed automatic transmission. In internal testing, since official fuel economy numbers aren't available yet, it gains 1 mpg for 26 in combined driving when paired with front-wheel drive. The all-wheel-drive version stays the same at 24 mpg.

Replacing the old 2.0-liter turbo engine is a turbo 2.5-liter engine, which also receives an eight-speed dual-clutch transmission instead of a traditional automatic. It sees the biggest power gains of 42 horsepower and 51 pound-feet of torque for totals of 277 and 311 respectively. Regardless of being front- or all-wheel-drive, the turbo Santa Fe gains 2 mpg in combined driving based on internal testing. The front-drive version now gets 25 mpg and the all-wheel-drive version gets 24.

Then we have the new hybrid model. Unfortunately, Hyundai hasn't given any fuel economy numbers for it, which are arguably the most important specifications. But we do have the rest. It pairs a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder with a 17-horsepower starter-generator motor and a 59-horsepower drive motor. Total output is 225 horsepower and 195 pound-feet of torque. Power goes through a 6-speed automatic transmission and a standard all-wheel-drive system. There's also a plug-in hybrid model coming later next year, but Hyundai hasn't given any details on that.

Besides the new engines, Hyundai has made a number of other changes to the Santa Fe's mechanicals and its features. The company says the updated crossover is lighter than before, thanks to more high-strength steel use. Drag has been reduced from 0.34 Cd to 0.33 thanks to redesigned belly pans. The standard forward collision prevention system now includes cyclist and junction-turn detection. Adaptive cruise control now has lane following with the ability to adjust speed for some corners. Remote parking assist, remote starting with seat heating or cooling, and wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are all available, too. The interior gets a new center console design indicative of the Palisade, along with a new, enlarged widescreen infotainment unit.

Finally, the Santa Fe is picking up a new range-topping trim called Calligraphy. It can be spotted from the outside by its unique grille and 20-inch wheels. Inside it gets Nappa leather upholstery, faux suede headliner, additional ambient lighting and an 8.5-inch heads-up display. It comes exclusively with the turbocharged 2.5-liter engine and all-wheel drive.

Pricing for the new Santa Fe has not yet been announced. We likely won't have to wait too long, though, since the first models are slated to hit dealers by the end of this year, so expect pricing to come out just before launch.
Source
Old 10-12-20, 11:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,679 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Looks good!
Old 10-12-20, 12:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't think that's the case on any buick today. On the avenir enclave spec all i see is 'acoustic laminated windshield'.
Sorry for not getting replying for so long, but I just now noticed your reply above from months ago.

https://thenewswheel.com/how-does-bu...chnology-work/
Originally Posted by article
Exactly how does QuietTuning accomplish this ambition though? For starters, the brand incorporates sound dampening materials into its products. For instance, it uses acoustic insulation material on the steel dash panel, under the hood, in the headliner and in the doors. It also employs triple sealed doors as well as dual-density carpet on the floor of the vehicle. Add on acoustic laminated side glass and a windshield, for even more solitude-enhancing quality.

Buick also uses quiet-tuned tires, hydraulic suspension bushings and an isolated engine cradle to reduce vibrations. The underbody paneling was specifically designed to lower wind and road surface noise. High-strength steel further minimizes rattling and creaking noises when the vehicle treks down the road.

Some Buick models take this road noise muting technology one step further by integrating Bose Active Noise Cancellation. microphones in the vehicle’s ceiling detect noises. The system then sends the sound waves to a computer to analyze. The computer then transmits counteracting sound waves, which the technology projects through the subwoofer and speakers, to cancel out the sound.
Old 10-12-20, 12:35 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Looks good!
I disagree!
Old 10-12-20, 12:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Kudos to Hyundai for adding a new 2.5. But why is the power short compared to the Toyota 2.5? At least Toyota clears 200hp....

the new hybrid looks very competitive....

This ^^^. Looks awful.

Quick Reply: 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe "Refresh"