Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Hyundai Santa Fe "Refresh"

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 10:46 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Source
Old 06-03-20, 11:37 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 358 Likes on 245 Posts

^^ interesting how they moved the headlights up from the very bottom to now be directly under the fog lights.
Old 06-03-20, 11:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,678 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
we won’t see anyone lining up 2am to buy a new iPhone this year or the next.
Sure you will. Dare I remind you the original iPhone debuted during the Great Recession?

iPhones are $40 a month.

All of these doom and gloom predictions about the economy are overstated.

As for the refresh Santa Fe, I like it...
Old 06-03-20, 12:33 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice especially the interior which now looks more like the Palisade than the Tuscon. Obviously Hyundai wasn't happy with the sales prospects of the current model otherwise there is no reason to do such an extensive refresh this quickly. It will be interesting to see how this refreshed model does against the Rav4/CRV
Old 06-03-20, 11:21 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 163 Likes on 96 Posts

Why on earth would Hyundai spend a ton of money on two full redesigns in two years? I can't recall this ever happening in the industry. What a strange waste of funds. This company is wacko...
Old 06-04-20, 07:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Why on earth would Hyundai spend a ton of money on two full redesigns in two years? I can't recall this ever happening in the industry. What a strange waste of funds. This company is wacko...
it may have to do with global rollouts... hyundai/kia/genesis sometimes roll out designs/changes in their domestic market long before they get here, so what appears to be 2 years here may in fact be longer, i don't know though.

regardless, i'd rather take 'wacko' rapid releases than 'sensible' once a decade releases.
Old 06-04-20, 08:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it may have to do with global rollouts... hyundai/kia/genesis sometimes roll out designs/changes in their domestic market long before they get here, so what appears to be 2 years here may in fact be longer, i don't know though.

regardless, i'd rather take 'wacko' rapid releases than 'sensible' once a decade releases.
This new Santa Fe is not “really” all new. It’s still a 4th generation Santa Fe.
Old 06-04-20, 08:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This new Santa Fe is not “really” all new. It’s still a 4th generation Santa Fe.
true, but doesn't relate to what i wrote. Updates are good!
Old 06-04-20, 12:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

That could very well be the case. Although no other brands have said conflict with juggling their global rollouts (as far as I know). About the only other screwy company is VW, which puts forth an all new model in Europe, but waits two to three years to get it to the U.S. By then its old news and dated.

I agree, I rather have the faster re-do's than the opposite. I just don't see it has smart spending for any company.
Old 06-04-20, 12:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Correct. However, the media is not reporting it that way. Nearly all are saying "redesigned" and totally forgetting to mention we just read about an "all-new" Santa Fe two years ago. The general public will be misinformed, but that's probably something no one cares about.

Old 06-05-20, 07:40 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

With a completely redesigned center console and stack, a new IP, upgraded leather interior in up-level trims, and ... I think new engine choices?
Old 06-05-20, 10:11 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Correct. However, the media is not reporting it that way. Nearly all are saying "redesigned" and totally forgetting to mention we just read about an "all-new" Santa Fe two years ago. The general public will be misinformed, but that's probably something no one cares about.
I think it has more to do with how the auto industry has stretched "all-new" "first ever" "redesigned" "fully redesigned" and put them all in a blender.

And to be fair, this is more significant of a refresh/whatever you want to call it, than GS/IS etc have seen in 7+ years. I'm all for companies that show themselves to be nimble. Consumers increasingly show themselves to want new/fresh at a much faster rate than automotive product cycles have supported in the past.

Even Hondas methods of mid cycle freshening (traditional change the headlamp/tail light clusters a bit, tweak the bumpers and some of the contenting around), may hurt them when other automakers are willing to do significant changes to seem "newer"
Old 07-01-20, 12:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe hybrid

This month, Hyundai has revealed details on the conventional and plug-in hybrid engines it will be offering. Though the engines haven't been confirmed for the U.S. market, we have reason to believe they will be available here.

The regular hybrid powertrain combines a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine with a 44-kW electric motor. Total output for the unit is 227 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. The plug-in hybrid uses the same gas engine, but gets a bigger 67-kW motor along with a 13.8-kWh battery. Combined power for the plug-in is 261 horsepower, and torque remains the same at 258 pound-feet. Both engines are coupled to a six-speed automatic transmission. The regular hybrid can be had with front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive while the plug-in is all-wheel-drive only.
ADVERTISEMENTThese engines have only been announced for Europe, but they make sense for the U.S. For one thing, they seem to be using the same 1.6-liter turbo engine with continuously variable valve duration that we get in the Hyundai Sonata. Of course the Sonata's engine doesn't have any electrical assist. Additionally, the compact crossover segment the Santa Fe competes in is quickly becoming hybridized. The Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4 and Ford Escape all now have hybrid variants, and the latter two are getting plug-in versions this year. The regular Santa Fe hybrid would also boast more power and torque than those other crossovers, and the plug-in hybrid would slot neatly between the Escape plug-in and the RAV4 Prime in terms of output. The Hyundai might have shorter electric range than the Ford and Toyota as it has a smaller battery than those two.

Hyundai has also announced it will offer non-hybrid gas and diesel engines in Europe, too. We're sure we'll get non-hybrid gas versions in America, but there's no chance for the diesel option. We should get more details closer to the Santa Fe's launch in the U.S. at the end of this year.
Source
Old 07-03-20, 09:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

well hyundai seems to be bringing hybrid tech to more and more of their line-up. the sonata hybrid has won rave reviews, i even saw a best in class video (vs. accord and camry hybrids). the new elantra will have a hybrid option. this santa fe has it. good stuff.
Old 07-03-20, 11:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Ugly front end and the touchscreen/vent area is weak....I think the sides and back are nice. Really like the body colored cladding. I also like how the center console is like the Palisade. Digital speedometer cluster

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-03-20 at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe "Refresh"