Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus UX naming gaffe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-20, 12:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,382 Posts
Default Lexus UX naming gaffe?

Hadn't noticed this until i saw this article...

Old 02-12-20, 12:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I wondered about that early on, but I don't think it's anything noteworthy. If "UX" was pronounced -ucks then it would be an issue to say "Lexus-ucks". But to me, Lexus you-ex is just fine. NBD
Old 02-12-20, 01:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I think Lexus UX stands for Urban and the X is for 4WD. The UX is a big hit , I doubt anyone really cares

(Car & Driver must be getting desperate)
Old 02-12-20, 01:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just about sums that pos up.
Old 02-12-20, 02:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Just about sums that pos up.
Easy, now. That was my first impression of it, too, when I saw the way they designed the interior, its quirkiness, the materials they used, and how cramped it was inside for an SUV. But, once I actually test-drove it, particularly the AWD Hybrid F-Sport model, I was quite impressed with its road-manners, which put the somewhat larger and more expensive NX to shame. I found the NX to be the opposite of the UX....its interior not as cramped or quirky as the UX, but the road manners significantly worse.
Old 02-12-20, 02:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think Lexus UX stands for Urban and the X is for 4WD. The UX is a big hit , I doubt anyone really cares

(Car & Driver must be getting desperate)
it's certainly a big hit. and the red underline was my add... so i don't think c&d intended anything.
Old 02-12-20, 02:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think I've seen these on the road yet in NYC. Seems to be a econocrapbox with a Lexus badge, more or less like the failed CT and HS.
Old 02-12-20, 02:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I don't think I've seen these on the road yet in NYC. Seems to be a econocrapbox with a Lexus badge, more or less like the failed CT and HS.
From what I understand, it is the same platform as the Toyota C-HR....only a lot better done.
Old 02-12-20, 03:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Easy, now. That was my first impression of it, too, when I saw the way they designed the interior, its quirkiness, the materials they used, and how cramped it was inside for an SUV. But, once I actually test-drove it, particularly the AWD Hybrid F-Sport model, I was quite impressed with its road-manners, which put the somewhat larger and more expensive NX to shame. I found the NX to be the opposite of the UX....its interior not as cramped or quirky as the UX, but the road manners significantly worse.
I think the UX is a pretty awesome vehicle. The fuel efficiency is outstanding. Only flaw is that it is kinda pricy for the size you get.
Old 02-12-20, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think the UX is a pretty awesome vehicle. The fuel efficiency is outstanding. Only flaw is that it is kinda pricy for the size you get.

Still don't like the interior, but I can't say I disagree on the rest of your statement. If I were in the market for a subcompact SUV, right now, the UX would be arguably my first choice, though I haven't had a chance to see the upcoming Buick Encore GX yet...just up on the turntable at the D.C. auto show. This might surprise you (and others here), with my noted dislike of the mid-sized Chevy Blazer, but I like the smaller TrailBlazer, and think it is a good value for the money (starts at under 20K). Got a chance to sit in one at the D.C. show (I also plan a test-drive)...and was favorably impressed.
Old 02-12-20, 03:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Still don't like the interior, but I can't say I disagree on the rest of your statement. If I were in the market for a subcompact SUV, right now, the UX would be arguably my first choice, though I haven't had a chance to see the upcoming Buick Encore GX yet...just up on the turntable at the D.C. auto show. This might surprise you (and others here), with my noted dislike of the mid-sized Chevy Blazer, but I like the smaller TrailBlazer, and think it is a good value for the money (starts at under 20K). Got a chance to sit in one at the D.C. show (I also plan a test-drive)...and was favorably impressed.
I do. Aside from the idiotic remote touch with no redundant controls like an AC button or presents, I like the materials

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-12-20 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-12-20, 03:17 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's certainly a big hit. and the red underline was my add... so i don't think c&d intended anything.
Funny observation of the C&D article.

For anyone who thinks the CUV isn't getting its due respect here is what C&D says about it:
  • Highs: Enjoyable to drive, convincingly upscale interior, generous standard features.
  • Lows: Unrefined engine noises, annoying infotainment touchpad, small cargo area.
  • Verdict: The UX delivers luxurious traits in a small crossover at an affordable price.
Old 02-12-20, 03:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Funny observation of the C&D article.

For anyone who thinks the CUV isn't getting its due respect here is what C&D says about it:
  • Highs: Enjoyable to drive, convincingly upscale interior, generous standard features.
  • Lows: Unrefined engine noises, annoying infotainment touchpad, small cargo area.
  • Verdict: The UX delivers luxurious traits in a small crossover at an affordable price.
Looks like Toyota knows it’s Lexus customer base very well

Here is the review

Source

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-12-20 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-12-20, 05:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Did't think for one moment S UX ...

Car is great for its price point and wife loves it, though competitors are roomier and significantly more powerful.
Old 02-12-20, 06:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Never heard anyone think "ux" when reading UX. It's no different than LX, DX, and EX. People don't see those and think "lux," "dux," or "ex."

Quick Reply: Lexus UX naming gaffe?