Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

drive through oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-20, 09:49 AM
72gs455
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question drive through oil change

I recently bought an IS250, I don't have the ability to crawl under it to change my own oil. Any reason I shouldn't go to a drive through place for an oil change? Places like rapid oil change or jiffy lube type places? Dealership only?
Thanks in advance...
Jerry
Old 01-24-20, 10:20 AM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I expect you will get a ton of stories of terrible things happening at those locations. Like everything on the internet. People will say the only place you can trust is yourself. Dealers over priced. Drive throughs use cheap uneducated minions. All the normal crud.

Personally, my newest cars go to the dealer for a few years. They also get hand washed.
Later I care less. Then I go through Jiffy and Auto car washes. Never had a problem.
Old 01-24-20, 11:31 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by scooky
I expect you will get a ton of stories of terrible things happening at those locations. Like everything on the internet. People will say the only place you can trust is yourself. Dealers over priced. Drive throughs use cheap uneducated minions. All the normal crud.

Personally, my newest cars go to the dealer for a few years. They also get hand washed.
Later I care less. Then I go through Jiffy and Auto car washes. Never had a problem.
A lot of dealers now (including Sewell Lexus in Dallas and Park Place Lexus in Plano) use automated washes - I don't know of a Lexus dealership in Texas that hand-washes without an extra detailing fee....
That said - for an 09 IS250, I'd go mid-level like a Goodyear, Meineke or something...or even a Toyota dealership that will be cheaper than a Lexus service bay as they know that 2.5L powertrain well.
Old 01-24-20, 12:34 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,550 Likes on 1,823 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
A lot of dealers now (including Sewell Lexus in Dallas and Park Place Lexus in Plano) use automated washes - I don't know of a Lexus dealership in Texas that hand-washes without an extra detailing fee....
That said - for an 09 IS250, I'd go mid-level like a Goodyear, Meineke or something...or even a Toyota dealership that will be cheaper than a Lexus service bay as they know that 2.5L powertrain well.
Why would they know the 2.5L powertrain well? The 250 has an engine that is unique to the Lexus brand.

But, otherwise I agree with your post. I wouldn't take my IS to a Jiffy Lube lol.
Old 01-24-20, 12:45 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its going to have the same oil change procedure like any modern camry
Old 01-24-20, 01:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 72gs455
I recently bought an IS250, I don't have the ability to crawl under it to change my own oil. Any reason I shouldn't go to a drive through place for an oil change? Places like rapid oil change or jiffy lube type places? Dealership only?
Thanks in advance...
Jerry
How much is an oil change for a drive thru? I dont mind going to a dealer, so the price premium is ok with me.
Old 01-24-20, 01:21 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I took my truck (Silverado) to a Jiffy Lube once when I was pressed for time. I sat in a very dingy and cramped waiting room for an hour while they charged me $95 for a full synthetic change.

The local dealership (GMC) offers full synthetic changes, a tire rotation, a nice waiting room, and a wash, all for $59. I see no point in going to JL.
Old 01-24-20, 03:03 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts

Most Lexus dealers offer service coupons online. With one, the price isn't much more than a mom and pop mechanic shop. Worth it in my opinion, especially if you get a free loaner in the process.
Old 01-24-20, 03:07 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How much is an oil change for a drive thru? I dont mind going to a dealer, so the price premium is ok with me.
The Toyota dealership near me has coupons regularly $40 for a synthetic oil change with Toyota motor oil (rotation extra of course)
Places like Meineke, Firestone, NTB have semi-synthetic oil changes + tire rotation coupons in the $30 range.
Lexus (for a friend's older IS) charges $80 for the oil change/tire rotation at Park Place Lexus in Dallas.
Old 01-24-20, 03:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wandl
The Toyota dealership near me has coupons regularly $40 for a synthetic oil change with Toyota motor oil (rotation extra of course)
Places like Meineke, Firestone, NTB have semi-synthetic oil changes + tire rotation coupons in the $30 range.
Lexus (for a friend's older IS) charges $80 for the oil change/tire rotation at Park Place Lexus in Dallas.

I would just pay the dealer cost. Look at some cars. Enjoy the nicer amenities. Just my opinion
Old 01-24-20, 03:50 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Beater cars go to Jiffy Lube, If I care even a little about my car I'm not taking it there.
Old 01-24-20, 03:58 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 820 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would just pay the dealer cost. Look at some cars. Enjoy the nicer amenities. Just my opinion
Yeah but scheduling an appointment is an issue for me.
Old 01-24-20, 04:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tecman
Yeah but scheduling an appointment is an issue for me.
Why is that? I have never had a problem scheduling an oil change
Old 01-24-20, 04:11 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 820 Likes on 570 Posts

Working with MY schedule that is not consistent and can change the day of the appointment.
Old 01-24-20, 04:43 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

nope nope nope, years ago I had a Jiffy Lube strip the threads on my oil pan....never again, always change myself now.

It's simple to do - you don't have a friend/relative with a garage or house?

If you can't change it yourself - let the dealer do it....screw the cost, you're driving a Lexus!

Quick Reply: drive through oil change