Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best, Worst Vehicles of the Decade

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19, 12:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Best, Worst Vehicles of the Decade

Since we only get to do this only once every 10 years, and it is now the end of the second decade of the 21st Century, what are your choices for Best and Worst vehicles of the Decade? I won't bother to post a poll, since there are hundreds of vehicles to chose from, and a poll, even with write-ins, would be impractical. You can use whatever criteria you choose for the selection (since it's yours), but my criteria (and what I would suggest) is to consider either what overall contributions the vehicle made to the industry, the competency of the vehicle itself, and whether that vehicle was truly needed for not.

Using that criteria, I've come up with one Best, one Worst, and a couple of runner-ups for each.

BEST

Runner-Up
: Present-Generation Lincoln Navigator

The current Lincoln Navigator represented an enormous advance over its Ho-Hum predecessor, which was little more than a rebadged F-150 Ford Expedition with a little more trim and equipment on it. The current Navigator, though pricey, tosses the old concept completely in the trash and totally re-writes the book on its sheet metal, interior quality/materials, opulence, dash layout, seating/riding comfort, and fit/finish. Not only that, but it also set the stage for the smaller but asthetically-similiar Aviator and Corsair, which will likely sell in larger numbers and earn even more money for Lincoln than the Navigator itself. Congratulations, Lincoln.

Runner-Up: Lexus UX Hybrid

A somewhat surprising choice for me in the end, considering that my first impression of the UX was quite negative, with its cramped interior, poorly-designed console stereo-controls, questionable interior fit/finish, and lack of AWD option on the base gas-powered version. Indeed, on that first impression, I didn't even bother to take one for a test-drive. However, when I did drive one (at the suggestion of several Car Chat posters), on the road, I was in for a big surprise, at least with the Hybrid F-Sport version. The F-Sport interior was a significant upgrade over the base version, the seats seemed more comfortable, and the Hybrid version included the AWD that is all but mandatory for this class of crossover. What's more, the F-Sport suspension/tires, contrary to what I expected, were quite comfortable on the road, and combined good handling/road-manners with a surprising amount of ride comfort/refinement and quietness for its class. Indeed, the Hybrid F-Sport, IMO, shamed the larger and more expensive NX, which, on the road, lacking sound-insulation and refinement, drives more like a base-model RAV-4 that something worthy of the Lexus nameplate. Congratulations, Lexus.

BEST of DECADE: Tesla Model 3

Although plagued initially, by quality-defects, peeling paint-work, poor fit/finish, and unacceptably-long wait times (up to two years) for actual production-orders, once the company managed to address these, the Tesla Model 3, IMO, unquestionably contributed more to the advancement (and, particularly, the electrification) of the auto industry than any other single vehicle....even more so than its larger Model S brother. It brought significant advances in electric-vehicle battery design, cruising-range, electric-motor torque (more on that in a minute), aero-design/streamlining, and electric-vehicle availability for the average car-buyer, assuming, of course, that the buyer had a regularly-available plug-in charging-outlet. So much torque, especially at low RPMs, is packed into that small electric power plant that even the slower versions, burdened with the extra weight/drag of AWD (which I test-drove) will not only handily dust off the best classic American muscle-cars I grew up with in the 1960s, but are easily fast enough to be hazardous in the hands of careless or inattentive drivers. Hammer the throttle in this car, and you had better have plenty of clear road in front of you....and your head and neck braced on the headrest. And, yes, that cell-phone put away.

That doesn't mean that I myself like everything about Tesla.....far from it. I've never been impressed with the way Tesla is run, its business practices, the eccentricities and quirks of Elon Musk himself, its system of company-owned facilities, and a number of other things in the company. Nor did I care for the Model 3's (almost) all video dash layout. But there is no question that the Model 3 has not only made owning an electric car fashionable and practical, contributed immensely to the present and future electrification of the industry, is selling faster than they can be built, and, yes, showed the (many) doubters that sedans can and do still appeal in this Great Age of SUVs.

Congratulations, Tesla.

WORST

Runner-Up:
BMW I3

In the interest of time, I'll make this one very simple, in one or two sentences.......almost everything that the Tesla Model 3 did to further, improve, and widen the state of the auto industry and electric vehicles, the I3 did in reverse. I see little or no reason to spend one's hard-earned money on it.

Runner-Up: Ford Ranger

Ford, IMO, made two mistakes with the Ranger. First, they cancelled it in the American market, even though it was still fairly popular, though not selling in F-150 numbers. Second, a number of years later (and after a lot of hype in the auto press and forums as to what the replacement would be like) they brought over a seven-year-old compact Australian pickup converted to American specs and left-hand drive, which, in a number of ways, was as Ho-Hum if not more so than the former truck, if somewhat less utilitarian in its design. The bottom line?.......No Thanks, and Americans seem to be flocking to GM's Colorado/Canyon and Toyota's Tacoma as a result.

WORST of DECADE: Chevrolet Blazer

I say this as basically a GM fan, lest anyone here think that I won't criticize GM when it deserves to be criticized, and, this time, IMO at least, it deserves to be criticized. Indeed, when the current-generation Blazer was introduced, the public reaction was so bad that GM, in embarassment, was forced to pull it from public display.

Having said that, it has managed to sell in somewhat better numbers that I (and some others) expected, but clearly is not anything even near what would be considered a major success. And it is easy to see why....the basic design is an abomination to the classic Blazer nameplate, a more-or-less Camaro-copycat inside and out, just one more mid-size crossover in what is today an ocean of compact and mid-size crossovers, and has clearly insulted as many or more potential buyers as it has attracted. And, although it's just my opinion right now and not necessarily fact, when Ford's body-on-frame Bronco debuts in the spring of 2020 (I hope to see it at the D.C. Auto Show in about a month), I strongly suspect that it will take even more sales from the Blazer.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-30-19 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-30-19, 12:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The most significant or best car of the decade was by far the Tesla Model S. No doubts about it.
The worst car I would say the Fiat 500
Old 12-30-19, 12:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The most significant or best car of the decade was by far the Tesla Model S. No doubts about it.
The worst car I would say the Fiat 500

The Model S has a lot going for it, but, IMO, clearly did not have the effect on the industry that the Model 3 did. The Model 3 is basically turning the BEV market inside out...it is rapidly becoming the new Mom and Pop family sedan, at least for those who have an adequate charging outlet.

The Fiat 500L is probably a better candidate than the regular 500 for the Worst Category, given that the regular 500 attracts a number of buyers with its cute and quirky design (in my area, mostly females). But the 500L, yes, was a dud (and unreliable) from Day One. I seriously considered the 500L for the list of runner-ups, but didn't have time to be typing all afternoon.

Pope Francis, for example, likes to humble himself in public, imitate what Jesus did, and avoid classic luxury-vehicles and their opulence. Notice what he asked to be driven around in what he came here for a visit?...the 500L.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-30-19 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-30-19, 12:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,739 Likes on 2,320 Posts

Model 3 wins in a landslide no other car has changed the automotive landscape in such a short time. And it's a car that many said would never be built, then would never sell, then would never sell in large numbers. And along the way Tesla was widely predicted to be going the way of the dodo bird. I'd say a very important question is why so many experts were so wrong.
Old 12-30-19, 02:04 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,549 Likes on 1,823 Posts

Yeah I'd say it's somewhat a toss-up between the Model S and 3. While the S was revolutionary at its debut, the 3 has successfully iterated on the S's formula, making it more optimized, efficient, and affordable, through comprehensive updates to the powertrain. It's definitely had its drama, but it's hard to think of as influential a manufacturer as Tesla this decade.

Surprised you didn't pick the Mitsubishi Mirage as the worst. However, I guess "expectation versus reality" really comes into play here. With a Blazer, there are certainly some elevated expectations...
Old 12-30-19, 02:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
Surprised you didn't pick the Mitsubishi Mirage as the worst. .
A Mitsubishi Mirage has Apple Car Play... So no.
Old 12-30-19, 02:34 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,549 Likes on 1,823 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A Mitsubishi Mirage has Apple Car Play... So no.
Good catch, how could I forget?

This article's word choice regarding the Mirage is kind of funny. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/mitsubishi/mirage
Saying "It's no contest" that the Versa is a better vehicle than some other vehicle could only happen with a Mirage.
Old 12-30-19, 02:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Good catch, how could I forget?
My thoughts for best car ties into "significance" the same with worst car. So a car like the Fiat 500, no more new generation, likely the end of the Fiat name for the US. Tesla S has really put the the Tesla name on the map. As badly dated as a Mirage is, I don't think Mitsubishi brand will be gone any time soon. That's how I view it. but it is crazy to think that the Mirage has Apple Car Play, but the LS when it debuted in 2018 did not, and the LX still does not.
Old 12-30-19, 02:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I'd say it's somewhat a toss-up between the Model S and 3. While the S was revolutionary at its debut, the 3 has successfully iterated on the S's formula, making it more optimized, efficient, and affordable, through comprehensive updates to the powertrain. It's definitely had its drama, but it's hard to think of as influential a manufacturer as Tesla this decade.
In my area (D.C. suburbs), the 3 is selling faster than I can type this LOL. The numbers of them, in just the last six months, not to mention the last year or two, have simply exploded. They are growing so fast that local governments and/or private-malls and shopping centers are now providing new charging stations.

Surprised you didn't pick the Mitsubishi Mirage as the worst. However, I guess "expectation versus reality" really comes into play here. With a Blazer, there are certainly some elevated expectations...
The Mirage is a vehicle for those who simply don't have much money to spend on a new vehicle (maybe 15K or so)...and, by today's standards, the equipment-level reflects it. But, although unrefined and lacking some creature-comforts, I wouldn't call it a terrible vehicle. It doesn't insult people's intelligence like the Chevy Blazer does, and it doesn't try to mislead people or be something it really isn't, like the Ford Ranger. And, of course, with the serious lack of Mitsubishi dealerships coast-to-coast, it doesn't sell in huge numbers, so it isn't much of a factor (or contribute much to) the industry in general. It is simply an El Cheapo, base-transportation vehicle for El-Cheapo incomes. I only know one family that actually has one (bought it brand-new, several months ago)...their daughter and her husband, in their early 20s, are relatively newly-married and don't have a lot of money saved up.
Old 12-30-19, 10:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

Interesting thread.

I'd have to say the Model 3 was the most significant. Just tons and tons of them in my area. I can't recall a new model that sold so fast, so quickly. I think the VW New Beetle outbreak was the last time something like this happened, and that's going back 22 years.

On the naughty list, I agree with Mike, the Ford Ranger was poorly orchestrated. Americans require a more butch experience with their truck. Ford should have known this and not brought us what they brought us. Same type of failure GM made bringing us their Aussie models that were too soft.

Also need to mention the Buick Cascada. A lackluster, dated, blob of a car I predicted would fail fast, and it did.
Old 12-30-19, 10:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

To mmarshall, I am unclear why you included the Blazer on your bad list. You mentioned the rehashed name, Camaro styling, and the fact that GM already has other SUV's. Let's establish that nearly all other brands have a wide selection of SUV's, so GM can't really be faulted for doing that. Then, can sports-car styling be enough to blacklist a vehicle? I think most people like the sporty (Camaro) styling. So that just leaves the rehashed name. That's not enough to trash a new model (?).
Old 12-31-19, 07:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Interesting thread.
Thanks. We only get to do this topic once every ten years LOL.

I'd have to say the Model 3 was the most significant. Just tons and tons of them in my area. I can't recall a new model that sold so fast, so quickly. I think the VW New Beetle outbreak was the last time something like this happened, and that's going back 22 years.
Not to get to deeply into stereotypes, but the New Beetle seemed to appeal mostly to females. VW apparently foresaw that, which was probably why they put that small plastic tube inside that was meant to hold artificial flower-stems. But the new Beetle, otherwise, except for retro-styling, was not anything out of the ordinary......simply a FWD liquid-cooled Golf with a different body and interior. The Model 3, in contrast, though not the first Tesla on the market, is turning out to be a truly revolutionary vehicle in a number of ways...and appeals to everyone, males and females alike.

The Model 3 is not the only new-vehicle sensation with the public,though. You've already mentioned the New Beetle's popularity....and, to that, in my lifetime, I can add the 1964 Mustang, the 1980 GM X-Body compacts (particularly the Chevy Citation), the 1984 Dodge/Plymouth minivans, the 1986 Taurus, and the first-year introduction of the big-rig-styled Dodge Ram trucks....1994, I think. The first semi-look Rams significantly increased that truck's sales.

On the naughty list, I agree with Mike, the Ford Ranger was poorly orchestrated. Americans require a more butch experience with their truck. Ford should have known this and not brought us what they brought us. Same type of failure GM made bringing us their Aussie models that were too soft.
Ae you speaking of the GM Holden-derived vehicles (G8, GTO, SS?), or the Colorado/Canyon pickup trucks, which compete with the Ranger? The Colorado was American-designed, primarily for Americans.

Also need to mention the Buick Cascada. A lackluster, dated, blob of a car I predicted would fail fast, and it did.
I did a full-review of one. It was an excellent convertible, and extremely well-built for the price, with virtually none of your typical convertible cowl-shake and rattles. And, of course, it was not a true Buick....an almost 100% rebadged Opel Cascada, even down to the powertrain. The problem was not with the car, but the fact that Americans, at the time, just weren't buying many convertibles. I know only one person who ever bought one (a neighbor of mine)....and then he chose the most miserable color you could think of for a small cheery convertible..... dull gray LOL.

To mmarshall, I am unclear why you included the Blazer on your bad list. You mentioned the rehashed name, Camaro styling, and the fact that GM already has other SUV's. Let's establish that nearly all other brands have a wide selection of SUV's, so GM can't really be faulted for doing that. Then, can sports-car styling be enough to blacklist a vehicle? I think most people like the sporty (Camaro) styling. So that just leaves the rehashed name. That's not enough to trash a new model (?).
As always, your opinion respected , and, no, mechanically, there is nothing wrong with the Blazer....GM used mostly parts and systems that had been already been proven and tested on other vehicles. But its overall execution, styling, and layout, IMO, were flops for anything that was to be given the Blazer name. It was basically an insult to one of the most classic Chevy names in history. Not only that, but it was introduced into what was already a sea of small-to-medium size crossovers already on the market...with more to come. It was, in my judgement, simply the wrong vehicle, with the wrong styling, with the wrong layout, and the wrong name, at the wrong time. While I'll admit that it has sold at least a little better than I expected, much of the public apparently agreed with me....my views are certainly not alone.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-31-19 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-31-19, 08:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
(Re: Blazer) It was, in my judgement, simply the wrong vehicle, with the wrong styling, with the wrong layout, and the wrong name, at the wrong time. While I'll admit that it has sold at least a little better than I expected, much of the public apparently agreed with me....my views are certainly not alone.
No idea how you assess that 'much of the public apparently agrees with me', but it seems to be selling just fine, with over 20K sales in Q3.
It's a crowded market for sure, nothing like when ancient blazers were on the market.

Old 12-31-19, 08:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
No idea how you assess that 'much of the public apparently agrees with me', but it seems to be selling just fine, with over 20K sales in Q3.
It's a crowded market for sure, nothing like when ancient blazers were on the market.
Well, you and I can both post our views (we do so every day on Car Chat), but the true answer will come when Ford introduces the BOF Bronco. That will prove, once and for all, whether GM was correct in the way it did the Blazer. If the Bronco flops (which I don't think it will), I'll stand corrected.
Old 12-31-19, 08:54 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

MMarshall, did you drive a new Blazer yet? Curious of your thoughts on how they drive.

Quick Reply: Best, Worst Vehicles of the Decade