Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW X7 Review...one of the most impressive vehicles I've driven in a long time

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-19, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Yes. And at least with the BMW dealer, I have a very good relationship with my service advisor. He's gone to bat for me multiple times with corporate (sometimes successful, sometimes not), we always BS mechanical stuff when I'm there, and he's discounted some stuff nicely for me. But if I'm coming in for a normal service say two days from now, no loaner.

20 years ago (I bought my first BMW when I was 22, and have not owned a non-luxury car since then) I could get a loaner every single time without even asking in advance, or a free rental if all their loaners were out. But that availability has dropped dramatically over the years.

They do still wash the car about 75% of the time, but that's about it.

It also helps if you are on good terms (or get on good terms) with your dealership. For instance, at my GM dealership, they make a normal practice of washing every customer's vehicle when he or she brings it in for service....but only for service. They like me enough, though, that my Service Advisor tells me just bring in my Lacrosse in any time I want a wash, whether it is being serviced or not, and, presto...clean car. They also save a number of free D.C. Auto-Show passes for me and my friends each year. Lincoln, of course, charges Black Label prices for that..although the Black-Label service, of course, also includes pick-up and delivery.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-07-19 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-07-19, 07:18 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 164 Posts

Any Lexus I have bought new would pick up and drop off my car for service but it was only from the dealer I bought it from. With my BMW it’s the same thing, the dealer I bought it from will pick it up and drop it off for any service. It seems like the difference with Lincoln and Genesis is that it doesn’t matter what dealer you bought it from they will pick up and drop off for service, is that right?

For me it doesn’t matter to me at all as I have never, and don’t plan on ever, using this service so it’s worth absolutely nothing to me. I am pretty particular about my cars and don’t care for some guy to drive my cars without me present. Same with the free car washes, when my cars are in for service, I tell them not to wash it, I would rather do it myself.

As for free maintenance, since I lease the only maintenance is two oil changes and some air filters. Same thing here, it is nice but it wouldn’t sway me at all because it only saves me a few hundred dollars.
Old 12-07-19, 07:24 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It also helps if you are on good terms (or get on good terms) with your dealership. For instance, at my GM dealership, they make a normal practice of washing every customer's vehicle when he or she brings it in for service....but only for service. They like me enough, though, that my Service Advisor tells me just bring in my Lacrosse in any time I want a wash, whether it is being serviced or not, and, presto...clean car. They also save a number of free D.C. Auto-Show passes for me and my friends each year. Lincoln, of course, charges Black Label prices for that..although the Black-Label service, of course, also includes pick-up and delivery.
The free car wash anytime you want regardless of whether it’s in for service is pretty standard at the Lexus dealers I have bought from even though I never used it. They even go above and beyond and will sometimes fixed curbed wheels for free or even comp. a tire at the dealer you bought it at. That is the only real perk I have taken advantage of.
Old 12-07-19, 07:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,544 Likes on 1,836 Posts

We’re off topic from the X7 lol, but the dealers here will do 5he pick up drop off whether you bought it there or not. There are a lot of dealers here and they want the service business. I had one dealer from 70 miles away offer it to me
Old 12-07-19, 09:58 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Based on other conversations we've had, you've never driven an LX570, and presumably not its unibody competition either. Like I said, you like the idea of a BOF vehicle. Nothing wrong with that.
Bro, I drive a BOF vehicle half the time, and I love it. It's 17 years old this January and I enjoy driving it. It's basically a beater junker, not worth much but still has many miles and years left in her. I don't have to be a rocket scientist to assume a $100,000 Lexus BOF isn't going to be a penalty box. Because you don't like them doesn't mean I won't.

I don't get on here people just not accepting others' preferences.
Old 12-07-19, 10:44 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,135 Likes on 841 Posts

I haven't driven an X7 but since driving a few late model Range Rover Sport and full size Range Rovers, I actually found the Range Rover Sport to be more appealing (both had the base supercharged V6). The full size Range felt massive and unnecessarily large but very opulent even in just the HSE trim. To me, the Range Rover Sport had the right balance between size, road manners, performance, luxury, sportiness and price.

My friend's dad recently purchased an X7 and absolutely loves it (he upgraded from an X5) and he never considered anything in Range Rover lineup.

@SW17LS Whats your take on the X7 vs a Range Rover? Does the X7 present a comparable alternative and better overall value? Would you cross shop the X7 with a full size Range Rover?
Old 12-08-19, 01:30 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Having never driven any full size SUV except the BMW X7 v8, that thing is beast, it is amazing how smooth the ride and the power is on that car, it feels smaller than it is to me, the visibility outwards is excellent for it's size, I have driven many midsize SUVs that feels similar in size to it. If I had to lease these big luxury SUVs no doubt I would say it would be near or maybe at the top. The space is very roomy for a family and features just as much as any full size luxury sedan. I could only imagine how much it would be though if some of the tech behind this car breaks down in the future would cost though. It is crazy even in the small streets of New York I spot them more than the new X5.
Old 12-08-19, 01:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Long term reliability is a moot point, most people that buy new premium cars either lease them or do not keep them very long. Technology ages very fast, and nobody wants to drive cars with outdated infotainment, lighting, etc. BMW is always on the forefront of technology, in addition to arguably the best driving dynamics, selection of options and styles, etc. Lexus is just obsolete in comparison.

The GX leases for less than a four cylinder X3, and the X3 outsells it by twofold - let that sink in.
BMW and MB also have highest purchase incentives in the industry, just fyi.

And as to love fest about BMW, they are one of the few brands left that don't support Android Auto, and what exactly are they at forefront technology wise? Crappy single motor phevs? They were very late with decent Auto brake implementation like all the Germans, their hybrid tech is non existent, EVs are just planned and all they really sell is old school engines be that diesels in Europe or petrols.

Old 12-08-19, 03:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Lexus dealers will absolutely pick up and drop off your car for service, all you have to do is ask. BMW dealers will do this too. Where BMW, Lincoln and Genesis have an edge is that maintenance is included. Thats something Im a little surprised Lexus hasn't adopted.
This might sound trivial to some of you , but I'm the type of person that is leery of others picking up my car and driving it. I'm not saying that these dealerships don't have good drivers (and I'm sure they are covered by insurance), but, in this dense-traffic area, an accident can happen anywhere, at any time. Or, the vehicle could be damaged by other means while they have it. But, then, to be fair, I sit back and consider how many vehicles I myself drive at the dealerships, whether shopping, reviewing, test-driving, sampling, helping others shop....you name it.

To minimize the possibility of paint-scratching or other problems (hardened bird-droppings, for example, sometimes have to be pre-soaked with warm water and loosened before actual washing, or else they can act like sandpaper). For very minor scratches, of course, I carry my SCRATCH-OUT with me. Still, I usually prefer to wash my car myself....that way, with a hose, I also get all the crap of the bottom and up in the wheel wells and hidden nooks. But, I'll admit, it's a nice convenience to have the PDI guys at the dealership do it if the car isn't really dirty and/or if you don't feel like getting wet and exposed to the weather outside...and I don't always have access to a hose. A couple of dealerships, in the past, have let me do it myself, inside, wth their facilities, but most insist on their own personnel doing it.

Everyone who sees and tries that Scratch-Out, BTW, just loves it....even professional detailers who have (and use) much more expensive stuff in their own detailing. When I was driving Toyotas, the manager who ran the wash/detail shop there was so impressed with the Scratch-Out he offered me a job here, on the spot. No Thanks.....even then, I was told too old to do that stuff all day long LOL .

Anyhow, didn't mean to hijack the thread off-topic, but we were talking about what BMW dealers vs. other dealers do for their customers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-08-19 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-08-19, 06:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Bro, I drive a BOF vehicle half the time, and I love it. It's 17 years old this January and I enjoy driving it. It's basically a beater junker, not worth much but still has many miles and years left in her. I don't have to be a rocket scientist to assume a $100,000 Lexus BOF isn't going to be a penalty box. Because you don't like them doesn't mean I won't.

I don't get on here people just not accepting others' preferences.
Its not about not accepting your preferences its about drilling down to get to what consumers actually want in a vehicle. You enjoy driving it half the time. Sure, I would enjoy driving a big BOF SUV or truck half the time, when I had my comfortable luxury sedan here also to drive when that suited me. The reason that is important to this discussion is when people try and say Lexus is great for offering these old BOF SUVs and ignoring the huge swell in the market that wants vehicles more like the X7. "Everybody has different preferences", my point is that statement isn't all that true. Even you who is arguing this point doesnt choose to drive a BOF SUV all the time. Pickup trucks are a different matter, but I think 95% of SUV buyers would actually prefer a unibody vehicle if they would let their mental hangups about it go, and I think you're one of them

Lexus is abandoning the future of luxury automobiles by bot competing in this segment.

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I haven't driven an X7 but since driving a few late model Range Rover Sport and full size Range Rovers, I actually found the Range Rover Sport to be more appealing (both had the base supercharged V6). The full size Range felt massive and unnecessarily large but very opulent even in just the HSE trim. To me, the Range Rover Sport had the right balance between size, road manners, performance, luxury, sportiness and price.

My friend's dad recently purchased an X7 and absolutely loves it (he upgraded from an X5) and he never considered anything in Range Rover lineup.

@SW17LS Whats your take on the X7 vs a Range Rover? Does the X7 present a comparable alternative and better overall value? Would you cross shop the X7 with a full size Range Rover?
Sure, I really like both the full Range Rover and the Sport. I can totally see why someone would prefer the Sport, I personally like big vehicles and the Sport is too small for me. I would say it rides and drives just as well as the full Range Rover, but feels smaller and more dynamic to drive if that makes sense. I also prefer the X7 inside, I find Range Rovers a little austere. Exterior I prefer the Range Rover.

Originally Posted by spwolf
And as to love fest about BMW, they are one of the few brands left that don't support Android Auto, and what exactly are they at forefront technology wise? Crappy single motor phevs? They were very late with decent Auto brake implementation like all the Germans, their hybrid tech is non existent, EVs are just planned and all they really sell is old school engines be that diesels in Europe or petrols.
All you have to do is drive a new well equipped BMW to see they are at the forefront of in car tech. Their infotainment is possibly the best in the business, their driving aids are excellent. Android Auto is nothing but a licensing thing, and with the excellent infotainment you don't even really need it.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
but I'm the type of person that is leery of others picking up my car and driving it. I'm not saying that these dealerships don't have good drivers (and I'm sure they are covered by insurance), but, in this dense-traffic area, an accident can happen anywhere, at any time. Or, the vehicle could be damaged by other means while they have it
I totally agree. I dont use the pick up and drop off and I don't let the dealer wash my cars.
Old 12-08-19, 07:25 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

BMW X7 is a great looking SUV especially in Msport trim, they are flying off the lots.
The styling on it is even better than the X5.

The interior quality, design and overall technology is class leading imo.

i have not driven X7 but X5 and X3 are very fun to drive and really make you think that your in a sport sedan. I was blown away how sporty the X3 M40i feels, cant wait for mine to get here.

If you do get X7 or any BMW, i highly recommend doing custom order with Performance Center Delivery.
You will get factory tour, visit museum, and go on a crazy off-road trail that will give you amazing confidence in what the Suv can do.
Old 12-08-19, 07:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
i have not driven X7 but X5 and X3 are very fun to drive and really make you think that your in a sport sedan. I was blown away how sporty the X3 M40i feels, cant wait for mine to get here.
The X7 isnt nearly as sporty as the X5, I've driven it but havent driven an X3. Its sort of like the 7 Series vs the 5 Series. The sportiness is there but clearly its a big soft luxury car.

If you do get X7 or any BMW, i highly recommend doing custom order with Performance Center Delivery.
You will get factory tour, visit museum, and go on a crazy off-road trail that will give you amazing confidence in what the Suv can do.
I probably would, why not? Takes 4 weeks I was told. Fun drive home.
Old 12-08-19, 07:38 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I probably would, why not? Takes 4 weeks I was told. Fun drive home.
Yes about 4-6 weeks. If you do PCD delivery it may take longer as they have to arrange a date for you and depending on how booked they are it may be few weeks after production is completed.

It’s a very cool experience so if your schedule allows definitely do it.
Old 12-08-19, 08:20 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

We bought a '19 X3 and were going to do the PCD. As it turned we found one in dealer inventory so no PCD. I was looking forward to it. Maybe next time. It sounds like a good experience.
Old 12-08-19, 09:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There is a clear difference between driving a Toyota 4runner or Highlander, they are at the same price point.
I'm more than willing to bet if you poll owners of 4Runners and Highlanders, they do not agree--other than the interior of the Highlander is much more functional and efficient--and that they use the term "SUV" for all such vehicles.

Quick Reply: BMW X7 Review...one of the most impressive vehicles I've driven in a long time