Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Green terrorism" at GM

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-03, 01:13 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by howiedoit
these elf people are idiots
So are H2 owners, perfect compliment!

Originally posted by EmeraldLexuSC3
SUV's run more efficient and pollute less when not set on fire.
The scary part is that statement isn't neccessarily true! It's not just the pollution either, it's the oil dependancy these utility-less trucks cause us, and you know what that leads to...

Originally posted by LexRoc
These guys are no better than terrorists imo.
Except that terrorists try to kill people and these guys don't, (minor detail) LOL...

Originally posted by EDGE2
To bad they never get caught
Yeah, tooo bad!
Old 08-23-03, 08:15 PM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc

Except that terrorists try to kill people and these guys don't, (minor detail) LOL...

Sure, not directly, but I dont care how minor it seems, the fire fighters do risk themselves each and every call they go on. As mentioned, it may be minor, but there is risk nonetheless.
Old 08-24-03, 07:31 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

i hate SUVs but i hate hippies even more

i get enough anti-corporate this and that in Oregon
Old 08-24-03, 01:45 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

what a gutless, mindless, unintelligent way to make a point.

The funny part is that people like this actually think they are making a difference through such ridiculous tactics. Nice try.
Old 08-24-03, 02:37 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ebruceii
what a gutless, mindless, unintelligent way to make a point.

The funny part is that people like this actually think they are making a difference through such ridiculous tactics. Nice try.
You don't they they're making a difference? They got their message out to you didn't they???? Most people would have never heard of ELF if not for their attacks.

Gutless - would you prefer these ELF folk attack the dealerships while people were there? Would that make them tough and brave?

Mindless - would it be more mindful to stage this vandalism and arson in broad day light with employees, shoppers, bystanders, and of course law enforcement roaming about? Nice way to hurt people, impede your task, and get arrested! Right now they accomplished their mission successfully with zero casualties, and are scot free!

Unintelligent - like I said, their message was spread all across the newswire, the daily paper, and the internet, and reached millions more people than anything else they could have done. Which news agency would have covered a peaceful environmentalist march through Washington? Who would tune in? They did what worked best for them.
Old 08-24-03, 03:10 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

You don't they they're making a difference? They got their message out to you didn't they???? Most people would have never heard of ELF if not for their attacks.

Gutless - would you prefer these ELF folk attack the dealerships while people were there? Would that make them tough and brave?

Mindless - would it be more mindful to stage this vandalism and arson in broad day light with employees, shoppers, bystanders, and of course law enforcement roaming about? Nice way to hurt people, impede your task, and get arrested! Right now they accomplished their mission successfully with zero casualties, and are scot free!

Unintelligent - like I said, their message was spread all across the newswire, the daily paper, and the internet, and reached millions more people than anything else they could have done. Which news agency would have covered a peaceful environmentalist march through Washington? Who would tune in? They did what worked best for them.
So you live in California, you back these ELF members up as doing a good thing so I take it you are an ELF member, where you their cause you sound like you planned it out.

I don't believe in the destruction of anyones property and you say more people now know of ELF, well just like anything when we had the so called gas crisis (so called beginning of the war) and they where saying don't buy SUV, more SUV sold my guess is this whole thing will only make the H2 and up coming H3 more popular, not only do people know about ELF but now they are more aware of the H2,

I use to not like seeing mommies drive H2 and Surburbans but because of ELF Im glad to see a mommy drive an H2

Your ELF members are also stupid and will eventually get caught, some did and are spending 20 to life in prison because the judge considered them domestic terrorist.

Just for your info I ran into a few tree huggers, enviro freaks a year ago they thought it would be funny to put a sticker on my friends Escalade and spray paint it among several other cars, lets just say the cops watched us welcome them in NY and several people walking by kicked them while they where down they went to jail bleeding not us.

This whole argument will never be won, we have a member of the ELF who drives an SC which is not the most earth friendly car and he probably runs premium which cause more polution than regular and who's to say are H2 friends are not driving 10k a year while some earth person is driving his civic 60k a year, who their is polluting more.

People drive corvetts and M3 and they not setting them on fire, in my opinion to many people with free rights to do what they want
Old 08-24-03, 04:20 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

So you live in California, you back these ELF members up as doing a good thing so I take it you are an ELF member, where you their cause you sound like you planned it out.

I don't believe in the destruction of anyones property and you say more people now know of ELF, well just like anything when we had the so called gas crisis (so called beginning of the war) and they where saying don't buy SUV, more SUV sold my guess is this whole thing will only make the H2 and up coming H3 more popular, not only do people know about ELF but now they are more aware of the H2,

I use to not like seeing mommies drive H2 and Surburbans but because of ELF Im glad to see a mommy drive an H2

Your ELF members are also stupid and will eventually get caught, some did and are spending 20 to life in prison because the judge considered them domestic terrorist.

Just for your info I ran into a few tree huggers, enviro freaks a year ago they thought it would be funny to put a sticker on my friends Escalade and spray paint it among several other cars, lets just say the cops watched us welcome them in NY and several people walking by kicked them while they where down they went to jail bleeding not us.

This whole argument will never be won, we have a member of the ELF who drives an SC which is not the most earth friendly car and he probably runs premium which cause more polution than regular and who's to say are H2 friends are not driving 10k a year while some earth person is driving his civic 60k a year, who their is polluting more.

People drive corvetts and M3 and they not setting them on fire, in my opinion to many people with free rights to do what they want

I'm laughing my *** off... you barely make any sense in this post, and when you do you are all wrong! First of all did I ever say I was a member of ELF? DurhhhhNO! Somehow through your incoherent stream of conscious writing, you invented my membership to ELF. Second, did I ever say I sympathize with their cause? Nooo... Just because I'm not crying over a few charred POS Tahoes doesn't mean I'm gung-ho ELF!I think this thing is hilarious because I hate H2s and nothing makes me happier than to see more H2 VINs taken off the market. An H2 is a bloated Tahoe that gets such poor gas mileage that it isn't even classified as a regular car anymore---commercial light truck. It's something like 9 to 11 miles to the gallon. And for what? It's not fast like an M3. It's not as spacious as an LS430. It doesn't have the utility of a Silverado. Not even the reliability of a Kia--that's sad! It's completely worthless! It isn't even built well! Fiberglass body panels, Tahoe interior, Bose stereo, chrome-painted plastic grille, horrid ergonomics, it weighs damn near four tons, and it has the worst reliability of any car in the United States. It's just about the worst everything, the epitome of American cars.

in my opinion to many people with free rights to do what they want
I suppose in your perfect world, I would have the right to move next door to you, buy 500 tires, and start a tire fire for your kids to inhale all day, right? My property, I can do what I want!
Old 08-24-03, 05:13 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

And the worst part about H2s: try as I may, I haven't been able to find more than two people driving around in one at a time. Most of the time it is some 50-year-old clown cruising up and down Main St. by himself with the windows down so that everyone knows who the badass on the block is
Old 08-24-03, 05:33 PM
LexFather

This is dumb. As much as I think the H2 is unnecessary, GM would not make them if people did not buy them and GM did not make money off them (how does 30k each sound, they sold 19,000 of them in 6 months, do the math, if u owned a business, YOU WOULD make a H2 and the forthcoming H3). If NO ONE bought them, GM would be screwed.

So ELF needs to not burn the H2 but the people that buy em. That would scare em off. BUrning a parked car that has NOTHING to do with it's existence is stupid.

Whooping the people's **** that bought em, they made a CHOICE to BUY this particular vehicle, then that would deter people.

So in essence ELF is in-efficient. It's not GM, it's not the H2, it's the people that buy em.

And Large SUVs are needed, to tow a boat, to tow the family, owning a business are most of the examples but as someone stated, I notice maybe 1, 2 people in em the most.

But ****, once we still have Bush's SUV tax loophole, the savings on the car is 1,000 time worth the gas cost of owning it.

America=sweet excess, and we LOVE H2s, period. If u don't like it that much, move to France and buy a diesal Renault.

Old 08-24-03, 05:54 PM
sleepy
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
And Large SUVs are needed, to tow a boat, to tow the family, owning a business are most of the examples but as someone stated, I notice maybe 1, 2 people in em the most.
My dad's small business has 3 different size vans, but never an SUV. Vans are more practical and offers more utility. As for towing the family, the problem does not lie in how big or torquy your truck is, but rather how your family should slim down and start eating healthy.

America=sweet excess, and we LOVE H2s, period. If u don't like it that much, move to France and buy a diesal Renault.
That makes no sense. Who's we exactly? And if I don't believe in Jesus, should I move to India? If I rather have a Lexus rather than the American beloved Mustang, should I move to Japan?
Old 08-24-03, 07:06 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But ****, once we still have Bush's SUV tax loophole, the savings on the car is 1,000 time worth the gas cost of owning it.

We don't NEED SUV's. It seems to me Americans have gotten along just fine without them for the last 90 years.

As far as the tax loophole goes, that pisses me off. I think that thing is a bunch of bs. And if anyone thinks that it's there for reasons other than to support the oil industry they must be blind.
Old 08-24-03, 07:08 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by bravo261
i hate SUVs but i hate hippies even more

i get enough anti-corporate this and that in Oregon
Wanna trade places to live? I'm out of my element here in conservative OK. I would love to move to Oregon and that is probably where I will end up when school is finished.

As for as anti-corporations, would you rather have people that care about that stuff or would you rather Walmart take over your entire area? When this happens, prices go up due to lack of competition, you have a fixed selection of product, and people get paid $6.00 an hour to support a family of 4. This is why I avoid Walmart at all costs. At least pay people a living wage after making umpteen billions of profit for ONE quarter!

Last edited by TGRich; 08-24-03 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-24-03, 08:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Dear 1Sick, the SUV tax loophole goes WAY back before Bush 1 or 2. I just posted the following on Edmunds earlier about people whining that the GX470 doesn't really qualify for the HUGE SUV tax break (because it doesn't meet the 6100lb GVWR mark).

This deduction has been on the books for decades to lessen the tax burden for farmers with big trucks used to haul stuff. And now people want to use it for luxury SUVs... what a joke. While I don't like taxes anymore than anyone else (probably even less!) I don't think people should get tax breaks where none is deserved. I hope the broad interpretation of the farming truck tax break is closed as soon as possible (federally, not just by states like CA has done) so urbanites cruising in their SUVs don't buy them to get a HUGE tax break.

But I DON'T agree with ELF, or lex400sc (surprise) on their actions/points. lex400sc - you may 'hate' the H2 (your word), but as 1Sick pointed out, why hate a vehicle, shouldn't you be hating the people who actually 'love' H2s? I'm sure you hate them also, but what about this being a free country? Hasn't the world got bigger problems than a few people owning H2's? Sure we can say it deepens our dependence on Middle East oil, but the number of H2's on the road is negligible. Owning an H2 *is* ridiculous, but it's not a national security problem. I hope we haven't lost our right to be ridiculous. Same could be said for driving an SC400 also.

How about this? Owning an H2 will increase the demand for Iraqi oil helping their reconstruction, so dammit, owning an H2 must be patriotic! (tongue firmly in cheek)
Old 08-24-03, 08:42 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Karmas a *****, watch someone in an H2 rearends lex400sc toyota, hey if H2 are Tahoes then

lex400sc is a freakin idiot, some organization set fire to someones property and this guy get excited, whats next they kill the saleman that sell them.

If you where not an ELF member why did you say you where not, thats the 1st thing a member says
Old 08-24-03, 09:17 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I suppose in your perfect world, I would have the right to move next door to you, buy 500 tires, and start a tire fire for your kids to inhale all day, right? My property, I can do what I want!
In my perfect world I would have people like you sent to remote island in the pacific that gets flooded every year cause I can't be having someone thinking it's alright to do wrong as long as noone gets hurt and you don't get caught.

The town I live in is non commercial, it is purely residential so you have to have your tire burning scrap yard some place else, my kids would still like to play with the metled rubber you would not like it here anyway "your property you can do what you want" don't think so, one of my neighbors got fined 20k for cutting down a tree on his property, see your already messin up and you have not even moved in

Quick Reply: "Green terrorism" at GM