Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best Lexus Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19, 08:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I think the problems with CVTs seem to be partially addressed by using a more powerful engine. I think much of the reputation of CVTs comes from underpowered economy cars that need the CVT to really be able to keep up with traffic. I rode in a Lyft recently that was a last-gen Maxima, and it seemed like the engine has quite the easy life in that car. It didn't drone, just stayed out of the way.
I agree with this. A CVT in a car without a lot of power just doesn't work for me, as it makes for a noisy racket when the engine is hanging out at high RPMs. But a CVT in a more powerful and refined engine, like a V6, doesn't bother me. The sound at higher RPM is better, and it doesn't need to hang out there so long to get up to speed.

I have driven the Nissan V6 with CVT and it doesn't bother me at all. My Highlander Hybrid with 306 hp and a CVT is completely pleasant.
Old 08-08-19, 09:01 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have driven the Nissan V6 with CVT and it doesn't bother me at all. My Highlander Hybrid with 306 hp and a CVT is completely pleasant.
But it's not a conventional CVT with a pulley system that gives a 'rubber band effect'. It's an eCVT with a planetary gear set. Honestly ToMoCo needs to STOP calling it eCVT and call it what it is.. a PSD Power Split Device

Old 08-08-19, 09:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
But it's not a conventional CVT with a pulley system that gives a 'rubber band effect'. It's an eCVT with a planetary gear set. Honestly ToMoCo needs to STOP calling it eCVT and call it what it is.. a PSD Power Split Device
Understood, but personally I still consider it a CVT as though it may achieve it via different means, it is still acts as a variable transmission without defined gears. Just as in a traditional engine mated to a CVT, it will hold the engine at a desired RPM for power, and that's the part that I find acceptable in a refined, powerful motor, but not in an eco-car/engine. That's the point I was trying to make.
Old 08-08-19, 09:16 AM
Hoovey689

Understood, but personally I still consider it a CVT as though it may achieve it via different means, it is still acts as a variable transmission without defined gears. Just as in a traditional engine mated to a CVT, it will hold the engine at a desired RPM for power, and that's the part that I find acceptable in a refined, powerful motor, but not in an eco-car/engine. That's the point I was trying to make.
Ok, I understand what you're getting at
Old 08-08-19, 10:43 AM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I test drove a Subaru outback 4 cylinder with a cvt and didn't like it. It didn't feel like my maxima did at all. Pretty much like you described it. In the maxima you just didn't notice anything. In the outback you had the loud droning. It just kinda felt like it was at a high rpm and you just kept waiting for that shift that never came. So that's an interesting observation. I hadn't considered that factor.
Old 08-08-19, 12:48 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

I agree with this. A CVT in a car without a lot of power just doesn't work for me, as it makes for a noisy racket when the engine is hanging out at high RPMs. But a CVT in a more powerful and refined engine, like a V6, doesn't bother me. The sound at higher RPM is better, and it doesn't need to hang out there so long to get up to speed.

Completely agree. I really enjoyed the drivetrain/power delivery in the few RX450h loaners I've driven. The smoothness and lack of shifting makes for a very pleasant drive and it's responsive when you need it, too.
Old 08-08-19, 12:53 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Stroock639
that's the A650E 5-speed, and it's really about the best transmission i've ever encountered... it's possibly the only case where i'm perfectly happy to not have paddles since the tuning and calibration of the shift points are almost just always perfect, it's like it knows what you want to do before you're about to do it
I agree with you on that. We had a nice 99 LS400 get traded in and it was so smooth. It was perfect. Is it the same transmission that the 01-03 LS used as well? I daily drove an 02 LS for a while and really enjoyed the smoothness.
Old 08-08-19, 01:04 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Anyone ever driven a Prius with the CVT? LOL my foot was on the floor every time I had to use the gas, just about literally.

Agreed that a more powerful engine will not be so bad, but I still want a transmission that actually shifts gears.
Old 08-08-19, 02:41 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I agree with you on that. We had a nice 99 LS400 get traded in and it was so smooth. It was perfect. Is it the same transmission that the 01-03 LS used as well? I daily drove an 02 LS for a while and really enjoyed the smoothness.
yea i think it is, and then the 6 speed was phased in for the 2004 model... the only thing i wish it did a bit better was hold 1st and 2nd gear a bit longer in PWR mode, sometimes you'll merge onto another street from a stop and want to just GO right then but it's already upshifted, but the LS 400 prioritizes comfort above all else so i kind of understand why it's like that

one thing i love about the E55 transmission is the steering angle is used in the transmission control unit so it doesn't upshift until the wheel is straightened out, very useful since if you put your foot down even slightly too much through a turn the back will majorly step out lol
Old 08-08-19, 03:13 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by AJT123
Anyone ever driven a Prius with the CVT? LOL my foot was on the floor every time I had to use the gas, just about literally.

Agreed that a more powerful engine will not be so bad, but I still want a transmission that actually shifts gears.
CT200h is pretty much in the same boat
Old 08-08-19, 03:47 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
CT200h is pretty much in the same boat

Lol that's actually what I was referring to....when I would get one of those at the dealer as a loaner.

You have to floor it to get anything out of it, and even then there is basically nothing.

It's a nice relief to get my LS back which doesn't even need to go above 2100RPM to stay with/beat traffic.
Old 08-08-19, 04:04 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

As others have said, the "CVT" in a Lexus or Prius isn't a belt/pulley system at all, so they are in a whole different category from other car's conventional CVT systems. It's nothing more than a planetary gearset, with the ICE on one shaft and a powerful electric motor (600v!) on the other, and with the third-shaft output going to the wheels. The computer looks at the throttle and determines that the ICE needs to run at a particular rpm to deliver that requested power, then commands the electric motor to spin forwards OR BACKWARDS as needed to allow the ICE to run at the necessary rpms. Totally smooth and bulletproof--the planetary gearset is strong and simple. The Lexus RX hybrid handles 300hp output.
Old 08-08-19, 07:17 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks like the LS, GS, IS all had that A650E up to 2005. I think those are the cars I'm gonna zone in on, unless anyone thinks otherwise.
The GS might be a nice middle ground for sport/ luxury so I'm leaning towards that.
Do you guys think the LS would be any fun to drive? I understand it's no sports car, but is it enjoyable drive on turns? The ES is fine for me as far as handling. The RX has way too much lean around turns for me though, even when going slow.
Old 08-08-19, 08:17 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Loved my 2008 LS600hL transmission. Maybe it was because it had a decent amount of power so it wasn’t like most CVT with a small engine.
Old 08-09-19, 08:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by 14RX350
Looks like the LS, GS, IS all had that A650E up to 2005. I think those are the cars I'm gonna zone in on, unless anyone thinks otherwise.
The GS might be a nice middle ground for sport/ luxury so I'm leaning towards that.
Do you guys think the LS would be any fun to drive? I understand it's no sports car, but is it enjoyable drive on turns? The ES is fine for me as far as handling. The RX has way too much lean around turns for me though, even when going slow.
If the ES is fine you'll be happy with the LS. The LS430 specifically has no sport in it whatsoever, both the LS400 and the LS460 are a little more dynamic to drive. The 8 speed in the LS460 is fine, but having so many gears it can get a little flummoxed at times,

Personally, I think 5-6 gears is about the best for an automatic transmission. I haven't felt any of these 7,8,9,10 speeds that I liked the shift behavior in.

Quick Reply: Best Lexus Transmission?