Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus #1 in brand loyalty.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-19, 07:54 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts
Default Lexus #1 in brand loyalty.

The accolades just keep coming. Lexus #1 in luxury car loyalty. This to go along with 8 years in a row #1 in dependability and tied for # 8 in initial quality. J D Power: Brand loyalty is a key objective of automakers not only because it leads to a customer repurchasing or leasing another vehicle from the same manufacturer but because that customer is more likely to recommend the brand to friends and family members shopping for a new vehicle.
Old 07-22-19, 08:42 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Kudos to Lexus, Benz, BMW. No surprise they are tops.

Poor Infiniti. They make solid vehicles, they offer amazing leases (even on Red Sport), and yet, no one takes them too seriously
Old 07-22-19, 11:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I thought the percentages would be higher for everyone across the board. Thought Lexus would start in the 60% and everyone would be inflated the same way.
Old 07-22-19, 12:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

^^ what does the percentage mean, that lexus owners are 47.6% likely to get another lexus? so, a toss-up?
Old 07-22-19, 06:08 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Yep.

Got a promotion which will allow me to buy a nice lightly used truck, I want an Escalade really really really badly but pretty sure it's gonna be an LX instead.

Even though LX is much older, much slower, and invisible next to an Escalade, it's a safe bet to go with Lexus.

Don't want to take the reliability risk since I'm buying used.

Have never had a problem with either of our Lexus cars. And I bought my LS when it was 8 years old.

I'll probably never drive any other brand other than Lexus, I'm not at all surprised that it's #1 for loyalty.
Old 07-22-19, 06:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yep.

Got a promotion which will allow me to buy a nice lightly used truck, I want an Escalade really really really badly but pretty sure it's gonna be an LX instead.

Even though LX is much older, much slower, and invisible next to an Escalade, it's a safe bet to go with Lexus.

Don't want to take the reliability risk since I'm buying used.

Have never had a problem with either of our Lexus cars. And I bought my LS when it was 8 years old.

I'll probably never drive any other brand other than Lexus, I'm not at all surprised that it's #1 for loyalty.
I guess you could buy the Escalade and pocket the different from what the Cadillac would cost. Hold that money for future repairs. Or you roll the dice and have no issues. I always see the ads for some domestic trucks with close to 20% or 25% off MSRP, at that point it is hard to justify the cost of let’s say a Tundra that may not have the discount. I think an Escalade is cheaper than an LX in most comparisons.

Back to brand loyalty. I think for Lexus, some of their loyalty is built upon the Toyota brand too, I am sure there are multiple owners out their who own a Toyota as well as a Lexus, so if either or perform well, they will feel better about the other. BMW and MB are still stand alone brands. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-22-19 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-22-19, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^ what does the percentage mean, that lexus owners are 47.6% likely to get another lexus? so, a toss-up?
I have to agree wth Bit. Sometimes we read too much into numbers.
Old 07-22-19, 06:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to agree wth Bit. Sometimes we read too much into numbers.
Numbers can’t really be disputed. If 47.% of Lexus owners are more likely to return to the brand, then it was it is.
Old 07-22-19, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Numbers can’t really be disputed. If 47.% of Lexus owners are more likely to return to the brand, then it was it is.

Numbers themselves can't be disputed, but what we read into them (or attempt to spin from them) can be. Bitkahuna made a simple but accurate point.....47% repeat-buyers means that more than half are not repeat buyers. Same, of course, for every other manufacturer on the chart....especially so with Jaguar.
Old 07-22-19, 07:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Numbers themselves can't be disputed, but what we read into them (or attempt to spin from them) can be. Bitkahuna made a simple but accurate point.....47% repeat-buyers means that more than half are not repeat buyers. Same, of course, for every other manufacturer on the chart....especially so with Jaguar.
You sort of just spinned it a little bit. More than half don’t repeat at Lexus. But more than three quarters do not repeat at Jaguar. Or how about close to half of Lexus owners repeat, but just one fifth of Jaguar buyers repeat. Numbers always need some sort of context etc etc. That is just my opinion on the matter. But I see what you mean about reading into numbers. I just remember learning to interpret numbers more than just take them on as face value.

What the study does not factor in is product selection. If a brand has more options and newer product offerings more often, they have a better chance to succeed. How many options are there for buyers to get into a Lexus SUV vs a Jag SUV etc if you were trying you to leave a Lexus sedan or Jaguar sedan.

Lexus has a better advantage over Jaguar if someone is leaving a sedan for a new SUV, Jaguar is quite small and limited. Suvs are hot right now.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-22-19 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-22-19, 07:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Without knowing how these numbers were obtained they are pretty much useless. Did the majority of Lexus owners buy a Ford instead? A Toyota? Already had 3 Lexus models and wanted to try something else?
Old 07-22-19, 07:38 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What the study does not factor in is product selection. If a brand has more options and newer product offerings more often, they have a better chance to succeed. How many options are there for buyers to get into a Lexus SUV vs a Jag SUV etc if you were trying you to leave a Lexus sedan or Jaguar sedan.
Unless a CL member has participated in this study or has insider information about the methodology of the study (and the specific questions asked and how they are asked), we only know the proportion of the buyers of each brand who said that they would buy that brand again.

We know nothing about how the lineup of models -- the types of different models (sedans, coupes, trucks, SUVs, crossovers, etc.), the numbers of different models, the years of the market of the different models, the options available, the pricing of options, etc. -- affected these numbers. Speculating that more options or newer product offerings may affect loyalty is just that -- speculation -- given the information that we know.

For example, Mercedes-Benz and BMW have a much larger number of models (a model to fit every niche and every sub-niche), and newer models than Lexus, yet Lexus comes out ahead of both MB and BMW.

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Without knowing how these numbers were obtained they are pretty much useless. Did the majority of Lexus owners buy a Ford instead? A Toyota? Already had 3 Lexus models and wanted to try something else?
What the unloyal Lexus buyers bought after their Lexus does not matter. It only matters that half of all Lexus buyers would purchase another Lexus model.
Old 07-22-19, 08:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

This also says something about the type of buyer for each brand too.

A lot of (most?) toyota/lexus owners prioritize value and reliability very highly, which attaches to a mindset of safety / security (don’t want to get stranded, don’t want to lose more money than necessary), and because of that, they remain ‘sticky’ to toyota/lexus.

i’d guess a jaguar buyer values style and uniqueness very highly, which attaches to a more free-spirited and emotional, impulsive mindset, and because of that, they don’t care as much about value/reliabilty, and will flit from brand to brand as the feeling fits.

But what’s important is this is a big advantage for toyota/lexus, until buyers perceive little downside or even upside of venturing outside the brand. But short of major screw ups, toyota/lexus is likely to keep a huge following for a very long time.
Old 07-22-19, 09:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
What the unloyal Lexus buyers bought after their Lexus does not matter. It only matters that half of all Lexus buyers would purchase another Lexus model.
Which is the best in the industry so what's your point?
Old 07-23-19, 10:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

So what the number means is the % of new Lexus buyers who are replacing a Lexus. So 47.6% of new Lexus buyers replaced a different Lexus with that new Lexus.

Or, 47.6% of Lexus buyers were repeat buyers.

Quick Reply: Lexus #1 in brand loyalty.