Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lamborghini will cap its own production to maintain brand exclusivity

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-19, 08:31 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Lamborghini will cap its own production to maintain brand exclusivity

Shareholders want to boost sales, but Lamborghini execs want to keep production low

Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Bentleys, and so on demand high prices, and that's not just because you’re buying incredible performance, technology and luxury. You’re also buying exclusivity. Recently, however, Wall Street and shareholders have been pressuring supercar makers to produce more cars and yield more profits. The problem is that higher production volume compromises exclusivity and dilutes the brand.

So while Lamborghini’s shareholders want the company to produce more cars, executives are seeking to impose limits and cap production.

"We must not go on growing forever. We now have to consolidate these results and preserve exclusivity," Lamborghini CEO Stefano Domenicali told reporters at an event inaugurating the company’s newest paint and body shop at the Sant’Agata Bolognese plant in Italy.

The company announced that it plans to sell more than 8,000 cars this year, which is “the right dimension of our company with our current product portfolio,” Domenicali said.

However, that number could swell to around 10,000 cars, depending on whether the company adds another model to its small lineup. Such a case would have to be deliberated among shareholders.

Lamborghini saw considerable growth in the first quarter of this year, likely attributed to the launch of its Urus SUV. So far, analysts are forecasting an increase in revenue to around 1.7 billion euros, or $1.92 billion USD, up from 1.42 billion euros or $1.6 billion USD in 2018, said Chief Financial Officer Paolo Poma.

At the same event, Lamborghini confirmed that an electric supercar is not in its future at this time as “customers are currently not interested,” Poma said.

However, Lamborghini is indeed seeking to add hybrid vehicles to its lineup by 2025, as it’s pressured to lower CO2 emissions and meet future mandates. The Urus is expected to be one of the cars receiving a hybrid powertrain, as it is not planned to get a V10 or V12 engine.
Source
Old 07-08-19, 10:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't agree with the brand-exclusivity and image argument....never did. If customers want your products, then build them....as long as you can maintain a decent quality-control level on the assembly line and not rush things too much. It can also, in some cases, mean more job-security for workers and more money going into their pockets.
Old 07-08-19, 10:24 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It's their choice if they want to boost future Barrett-Jackson values
Old 07-08-19, 11:54 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't agree with the brand-exclusivity and image argument....never did. If customers want your products, then build them....as long as you can maintain a decent quality-control level on the assembly line and not rush things too much. It can also, in some cases, mean more job-security for workers and more money going into their pockets.
I agree, Rolex did the same thing recently by limiting the production of its stainless steel sports watches. Lucky for me I bought when you could get them a couple years ago, now you cannot get them and if you do find one on the grey market they are thousands more than retail price. My watch brand new on the grey market is over $10k more than retail and used is $6k more than retail. Makes no sense to me and screws over any new potential customers.

Old 07-08-19, 01:06 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

So this is birth control for bulls?
Old 07-08-19, 02:56 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Just cap that awful ugly Urus.

I love how they are being "pressured" to lower CO2 and add hybrids like the minuscule number of people who own and drive Lambo's maybe once or twice a month have any effect on anything.
Old 07-08-19, 06:12 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They have a leeway which is the parent company VW so they can get a pass for saying nonsensical stuff like this. You know they would be fighting for every additional single unit if they've remained solo venture.
Old 07-08-19, 11:12 PM
Grey2010
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lets just hope they don't follow ferrari's business model and make you buy several of the cheaper models first before they'll sell you their latest and greatest model
Old 07-09-19, 03:56 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I like this strategy, I think its the right one for Lambo. Besides reading between the lines I'm sure the only shareholder that is asking for more volume is VAG
Old 07-09-19, 06:41 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Rich people are such masochists. Most of them are willing to do anything to bend over to get shoved so they can show off.
Old 07-09-19, 01:22 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Ironically, I was just thinking the same thing, there's an awfully lot of Lamborghinis driving around all over. They're like no longer a rare sight as allot shows up at car meets, etc. Though this is going to be a greater issue with the Urus.
Old 07-09-19, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Rich people are such masochists. Most of them are willing to do anything to bend over to get shoved so they can show off.

Not all rich people show off. In fact, I did a thread, recently, on billionaires who choose not to spend money on expensive vehicles.....some of them are running around in older Honda Accords.
Old 07-09-19, 05:56 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Yep, these cars are no longer rare or exclusive, thanks to the internet! Bunch of people (kids) these days with Instagram and YouTube channels become millionaires overnight. Same kids run to their local Lambo dealerships and buy Aventadors and Huracans. Things have definitely changed in past 20 years. People used to work hard in order to be able to afford a car like that. Nowadays, all you have to do is keep uploading videos of your daily stupidity and you're inside of a Lamborghini.
Old 07-09-19, 06:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don’t understand how anyone could argue against the exclusivity of what having a Lamborghini means. Making more of them just takes that away. Anyone should be able to appreciate this ideal.
Old 07-09-19, 08:59 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclusivity is absolutely a thing and helps create more value. Surprised posters do not agree with this.

I'm in the Northeast and rarely see a Lambo and when I do it's a treat to see one, which is the point.

If there was a Lamborghini in a driveway on every street in America, where do you think that takes Lambo's image? It would no longer be special. It's not much different as to the reason rare collector cars become so valuable. A lot of these supercars increase in value. That wouldn't be the case if production wasn't limited.

Even a '90's Supra can sell for 6-figures these days. Exclusivity makes people want it more, thus value.

Quick Reply: Lamborghini will cap its own production to maintain brand exclusivity