Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Even the newest BMW 3 series crushed by Genesis G70

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-19, 04:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts
Default Even the newest BMW 3 series crushed by Genesis G70

When the Genesis G70 came out last year, we were so impressed by the sport sedan that we awarded it as AutoGuide.com‘s 2019 Car of the Year.

After it won the title, we compared it to the 2019 BMW 3 Series and it won yet again. But critics (or maybe BMW loyalists) were upset, saying that it was unfair to compare the G70 to the BMW 3 Series, which was about to see a new-generation model debut. We thought it was a fair fight because even though it was older, the BMW still set the benchmark and we were impressed that Genesis, being the upstart and underdog brand it is, easily met and surpassed that benchmark. And plus, Genesis couldn’t benchmark a car that didn’t exist yet.

Now that the new seventh-generation BMW 3 Series has debuted, we have brought the two together again to see if the Genesis is still good enough to topple a newer product, one that BMW promised would be amazing. We think BMW might have over promised and under delivered…

BMW 3 Series

Maybe we’re being too harsh. The new BMW 3 Series is a fantastic sport sedan. Or is it a luxury car? Or is it a tech car? Maybe a mass market car? Either way, the 3 Series has recently struggled with its identity and this new model continues to do so — it tries to be all those things but you know what they say about being a Jack of all trades, but a master of none? This is the main issue with the 3 Series. Yes, the sedan drives well, but it’s not as engaging as a BMW really should be. Yes, it’s high tech, but a lot of it is gimmicky and not that well thought-out. And yes, it’s quite luxurious, but for some reason manages to be very uncomfortable at, and times, feel unrefined. Why are these seats so uncomfortable? Sébastien Bell, colleague and weird genius, said the seats “feel like they glued some styrofoam to a Recaro.” Neither of us could find a comfortable seating position.

ALSO SEE: 2020 BMW 3 Series Review

And the interior, while nicely appointed, makes some design missteps. There is a lack of continuity and harmony in the cabin. “The BMW throws colors and design flourishes at its interior like a first grader learning to draw between the lines,” Sébastien noted. There’s also a lot of hard black plastic and piano black that attracts dust easily, though we did like the large screen and the slick digital gauge cluster.

The infotainment system itself would benefit from being more intuitive, though the screen itself is impressive and is integrated into the dashboard beautifully. But it did weird things like continuing to play our podcasts even though we had left the car, or it would turn down the volume of our podcasts to minimum for no reason, so we’d always miss chunks of the audio.

One of the calling cards of the new 3 Series was supposed to be a new virtual assistant in the infotainment system that you should be able to speak to naturally like Siri, Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa. All you need to do is say “Hey, BMW” and then give it a task or ask it a question. You can even rename it Klaus or Günter or whatever you please. The problem is that it gets tripped up too easily even with seemingly simple commands and it doesn’t actually listen to you that well, so it ceases to be useful. It is definitely a gimmick, which is sad because it had the potential to be truly great. A similar system in new Mercedes cars called MBUX is so great that you can almost have a full on conversation with it. The system in the BMW needs work to make it more intuitive. Sébastien sums it up nicely: “It’s like having a hyper dog that looks at you when you call its name, but just keeps running away when you tell it to come. Everybody acts impressed, but they quietly pity you.”

ALSO SEE: Where is BMW Made?

One could argue that the only real thing a BMW is supposed to do is drive well, and this 3 is almost there. The chassis is typical BMW, so wickedly balanced and composed. The base 3 Series is powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder sending 255 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque to the wheels via an eight-speed automatic. This is an excellent motor that feels much faster and smoother than a four-cylinder should — the power delivery is linear and not as peaky as I remember it. I often forgot there was a four-cylinder behind that kidney grille because it feels like it has two extra cylinders. I wasn’t a huge fan of the piped in fake engine noise, but that’s my only gripe about the engine.

An engine, however, is only as good as the transmission it’s hooked up to and the eight-speed unit holds it back from true greatness. The transmission often gets confused and sometimes just slams into gear harshly for no reason, even if you’re not driving aggressively and when it’s in comfort mode. The brakes would also benefit from being more communicative. I expect something more refined and graceful in a BMW. The weighty steering is a highlight but still doesn’t feel as clairvoyant as the 2 Series.

When I first drove the new 3 Series, it was very normal, commuting-to-work-type driving, and I didn’t love how it felt. It just felt like nothing special. Later when the road opened up and I was able to drive more aggressively, the BMW came into its own, feeling alive and agile. And with traction control off, the sedan was happy to let the back slide out if you were in the mood. This is what a BMW should feel like, I thought, sweeping through on ramps with a bit too much speed and the no-fear attitude that having a capable machine inspires in a driver. But then the traffic started again and I was left uninspired. Am I too greedy by wanting to be thrilled at all times while driving a sport sedan? If not being thrilled, then I want to be comfortable and not have the car get in the way. Unfortunately, the BMW wasn’t able to deliver on this consistently.

GET BMW 3-SERIES PRICES

Genesis G70

“The Genesis feels right,” Sébastien noted. “I prefer the way it looks, I prefer the way it feels to be inside, I prefer the way it drives, I prefer what its badge communicates, and I prefer seeing it in my driveway.” He’s spot on.

Here’s one positive thing about having a Genesis badge on the hood of your car instead of a BMW one: People don’t automatically hate you. Design-wise, the G70 has excellent proportions and an athletic stance, but the beauty lies in the little details and trim. The unique copper detailing is gorgeous and looks high-end. If you squint, you can see shades of Alfa Romeo Giulia in the purposeful yet pretty silhouette. It turns heads and kids even yell, “Hey! Nice car!” when you drive past. I think it’s pretty safe to say that no one gets that excited about a 3 Series. There’s also a feeling of “coolness” that is impossible to engineer, and I feel so cool driving the G70, but in the BMW I felt slightly embarrassed.

In terms of driving dynamics, the G70 has a better understanding of what it wants to be. Most driving modes in cars do nothing, but in the G70, “the sport mode (as well as the comfort and the eco mode) make immediate and clear differences and are therefore more fun to use,” Sébastien says. “In sport mode, it’s taught and you get a pleasing wave of torque every time your foot goes near the throttle. In comfort, it’s quiet and comfortable.”

Pricing

Genesis G70 3.3T: The base G70 starts at $34,900, while the 3.3-liter version starts at $43,750. As tested, we estimate that the G70 you see above costs $50,995.

BMW 330i xDrive: The base BMW 330i starts at $40,250 and the xDrive version starts at $42,250. As tested, we estimate that the 330i xDrive with M package that you see above costs $49,700.

No matter what mode it’s in, the Genesis feels intuitive and responsive, comfortable yet sharp, and always so composed. The whole package comes together cohesively: precise steering, responsive and smooth transmission, balanced suspension, powerful 3.3L twin-turbo V6 — they’re all on the same page. Like the BMW, however, the brakes feel terribly numb. The Brembos work wonderfully, but the pedal is absolutely non-communicative. Still, the G70 manages to balance both the sport sedan and luxury sedan side of the equation much better than the 3 Series.

The interior is also a nice place to be with the comfortable quilted leather seats and fuss-free dashboard. I do wish the touchscreen was integrated more gracefully, however, and that it didn’t look like the infotainment system was taken right out of a Hyundai Elantra, but at least it’s easy to use. On the tech front, the BMW is definitely ahead with more bells and whistles, though it can be gimmicky at times. I would also lose my mind if Genesis used copper accents on the inside like they did on the exterior because it would really help elevate the cabin. The buttons, dials, and vents leave me wanting, but the interior is put together with German precision and the layout makes sense.

GET GENESIS G70 PRICES

The Verdict: 2020 BMW 3 Series vs Genesis G70

In the end, the Genesis G70 retains its crown as AutoGuide.com‘s favorite sport sedan. Although it’s lacking in features and technology when compared to the BMW, it feels more focused on what matters in this segment: Driving dynamics and luxury. Add the fact that it’s also much more affordable, and the lack of tech doesn’t seem like such a big deal anyway. The BMW “feels like it’s trying to be a million different things — a smartphone, a sports car, a luxury car, a spa, a family car, and more — but it’s doing none of them well,” Sébastien says. The Genesis G70 makes fewer compromises and is executed with so much focus that anyone who drives both sedans back to back and can’t see how impressive the G70 is can be classified as a diehard BMW fan who’s in it for the badge. For these people, go ahead and get the BMW, you’ll be happy with it. But for everyone else, the Genesis is not only a smart choice but also the one we think will bring you more joy.

https://www.autoguide.com/car-comparisons/2020-bmw-3-series-vs-genesis-g70
Old 07-05-19, 04:56 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

great article and win for the G70
Old 07-05-19, 05:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Just watched Motor Trend. They did the BMW test, their claim “total package which is above all else”.

I would be curious to know what the performance stats are between the two.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-05-19 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-05-19, 05:19 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

BMW overpriced their cars so it's just not worth it anymore. The G70 should compete with the 340 but the 340 is soooo expensive, the 330 is the price bracket the G70 3.3T plays in. Actually, the G70 is still cheaper than the 2L Turbo 330. Id definitely pick the G70 as the 330 is much slower.
Old 07-05-19, 05:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
BMW overpriced their cars so it's just not worth it anymore. .
That is always the case. It’s a superior brand name over Genesis. On par with Mercedes Benz. Not sure about Audi. Most people would not pay the same BMW for the Genesis.
Old 07-05-19, 05:29 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That is always the case. It’s a superior brand name over Genesis. On par with Mercedes Benz. Not sure about Audi. Most people would not pay the same BMW for the Genesis.
When their cars were priced higher back then, they had a significant performance advantage over their competitors. Enthusiasts are willing to pay this premium to get a superior product. Many are not willing to pay for just the brand name if you get comparable performance for way more money. That's a key reason why many enthusiasts have abandoned ship.
Old 07-05-19, 05:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

L
Originally Posted by EZZ
When their cars were priced higher back then, they had a significant performance advantage over their competitors. Enthusiasts are willing to pay this premium to get a superior product. Many are not willing to pay for just the brand name if you get comparable performance for way more money. That's a key reason why many enthusiasts have abandoned ship.
But their sales are still strong? Better than in the past. No? The new BMW cars are more luxury cars than they are sports cars. You can still buy a M340 which has far superior performance
Old 07-05-19, 05:42 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

LBut their sales are still strong? Better than in the past. No? The new BMW cars are more luxury cars than they are sports cars. You can still buy a M340 which has far superior performance
They've actually lost quite a bit of sales and just replaced their CEO due to poor performance. The 340 is overpriced. A mid $60k performer that gets trounced by the Tesla P3D at the same price and barely faster than a G70 3.3T for $15k more.
Old 07-05-19, 06:35 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 447 Posts

And yet... BMW is still the brand everyone wants to beat, and still the brand others - be it magazines or the marketplace in general - see as the benchmark.

There will always be great value options for pretty much anything, cars are no different, but the bottom line is it's going to be a while before it's a car other than the 3 Series against which comparisons in this class are made.

BMW is definitely no longer in class of its own. That doesn't mean that they are no longer making great cars.
Old 07-05-19, 08:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
You guys are talking past one another, LexsCTJill on brand value, and EZZ on product performance value, and you’re both right.

bmw will continue to be able to charge a premium because some people find the idea of driving any bmw ‘impressive’ or helps their image. I couldn’t care less about those things but recognize many do. Not being sexist but i find female bmw buyers typically know NOTHING about cars but they feel a bmw is insta-worthy.

As for the g70, i’d bet the buyers are overwhelmingly male gear heads.
Old 07-05-19, 08:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
And yet... BMW is still the brand everyone wants to beat, and still the brand others - be it magazines or the marketplace in general - see as the benchmark.
and well deserved! But the barbarians are at the gate.

There will always be great value options for pretty much anything, cars are no different, but the bottom line is it's going to be a while before it's a car other than the 3 Series against which comparisons in this class are made.
tesla says ... “hold my beer”

BMW is definitely no longer in class of its own. That doesn't mean that they are no longer making great cars.
i agree with the article that most bmw interiors are nothing special.
Old 07-05-19, 10:18 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

BMW's profit issues are indicative of a serious product problem. Their retail prices are among the highest in their segments, but in order to maintain sales volume, they also have very high incentives. There has been a lot of complaints about how slow Toyota is to introduce new tech, but they have maintained a pretty healthy profit margin and have huge cash reserves. New competitors like Tesla and Genesis will only make the profit shortfall more serious.
Old 07-05-19, 10:21 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

When I compared it to the comparable Audi and MB (all were the same price optioned the way I wanted it) they all did something better than the other but overall I felt the BMW had the best package. Unfortunately I didn’t compare it to a G70, Kia Stinger or a Tesla Model 3. I just knew that I was done with Lexus and wanted something different and never had a German car so I figured I would try it out. It doesn’t do anything the best but it did enough overall that both my wife and easily liked it the best. As for it not being as fast as a Model 3, I’m ok with that, I can always take my GTR out.
Old 07-06-19, 06:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Not being sexist but i find female bmw buyers typically know NOTHING about cars but they feel a bmw is insta-worthy.
I haven't personally known many female BMW buyers, but the relatively few I did bought them mostly for image...and, as you might guess, the Moms were generally attracted to the BMW X3 and X5. I've only known two female 3-series owners....both were convertibles..the classic image body-style. One had been married to a well-heeled husband before they divorced, and then she married a friend of mine. (fortunately, still together).

In general, though, females were probably more attracted to the BMW sedans/coupes and convertibles back in the 1980s, back when it was considered the classic Yuppie brand. To have a new BMW, especially if you worked in the emerging high-tech/government-consulting industry, was considered a sign of success in the job market....not necessarily the Ultimate Driving Machine for canyon-carving, which it later became.

Male?....probably. Gear heads?.....I'd say more the case for the 3.3 than for the standard 2.0 turbo. And all of the buyers, 2.0 and 3.3, can appreciate the way the G70 is built, with its Swiss-Watch fit/finish and assembly-quality. I was profoundly impressed with my own review of the G70, though, like most sports sedans, it rode too firmly for my taste.
Old 07-06-19, 07:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Not being sexist but i find female bmw buyers typically know NOTHING about cars but they feel a bmw is insta-worthy.
Because it is.... Mercedes yup.....Lexus: sometimes....Genesis: nope....Cadillac: only if you are 80......

Consider if you have brand bias by yourself, you titled this thread "crushed"...did it really crush the BMW? And consider publication bias as well....a very real thing

. Not being sexist but i find female bmw buyers typically know NOTHING about cars
I can talk shop.... My father taught me a lot about cars and my husband is big into them. I can def hold my own. My sister had a recent BMW, but she has now gone to a RAV4....She bought the BMW because she wanted to show off....worked paid for her car. She got a transfer to Savannah.....she was newly single....paid for downtown townhouse at the time....status is very real.....she came from a Lexus that left her stranded 250KM away from home....

If you follow the data, almost all data spec's point towards the BMW having superior spec data. We had that discussion in the comparo that was posted where the G70 and 3 Series and Telsa 3 were all compared.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesl...mparison-test/

People have a really hard time accepting that BMW is NOT the brand it was in the 1980's and early 90's when it was growing....its much more now.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-06-19 at 08:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Even the newest BMW 3 series crushed by Genesis G70