Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Motors Vehicles Now Let You Order Domino's Pizza from the Dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 12:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default General Motors Vehicles Now Let You Order Domino's Pizza from the Dash

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-car-ordering/

Today, General Motors struck a mighty blow in the battle for in-car tech and connectivity superiority. With nary a hint that the strategic initiative was already underway, millions of owners of 2017 and newer GM vehicles today were granted the ability to order Domino's Pizza in their OnStar-equipped vehicles via the Marketplace app.

Part of a larger food initiative that also encompasses McDonald's and Starbucks, the app allows consumers to order up a delicious cheesy pizza of their choosing for pickup or delivery to their home via the app, which works independently from their mobile device. GM is calling it the first embedded pizza-ordering option available in vehicles today. Speaking candidly, Chris Roeser, director of digital experience at Domino's, said, "Now, Marketplace will provide pizza lovers an easy way to order the pizza they love."

Placing an order requires a user to have a Pizza Profile registered with Domino's; new users can set one up either online or via the Domino's mobile app. Including their preferred delivery address, preferred stores, and payment method information, it also permits the user to store their favorite orders for fast and easy reorders. Once established, users link their Pizza Profile to their vehicle, which permits users to order Domino's from their vehicle's touchscreen.

Eager to test the limits of the new technology, the C/D staff assembled in a 2019 Buick Enclave Avenir we currently have at the office, and, without advance warning, placed an order for six large pizzas and two two-liter bottles of soda. Without missing a beat, the touchscreen shifted to alert mode, notifying us that our order was on the way.

Eager to test the limits of the new technology, the C/D staff assembled in a 2019 Buick Enclave Avenir we currently have at the office, and, without advance warning, placed an order for six large pizzas and two two-liter bottles of soda. Without missing a beat, the touchscreen shifted to alert mode, notifying us that our order was on the way.
Old 06-22-19, 12:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

May I ask. What is the point of GM offering this?
Old 06-22-19, 01:06 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Why would I do this instead of using my phone?
Old 06-22-19, 01:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Won't recall Takata airbags, but offer customers a Domino's App. Great!
Old 06-22-19, 01:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
That was a very funny post.
Old 06-22-19, 03:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Besides the usual warranty-extensions and new-vehicle-discount offers, Buick constantly sends me notice of all kinds of app-controlled programs for this, that (almost anything you can imagine) in both the snail-mail and E-Mail. I usually either delete them or paper-recycle them. I can do without probably 99% of that stuff.
Old 06-22-19, 03:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Besides the usual warranty-extensions and new-vehicle-discount offers, Buick constantly sends me notice of all kinds of app-controlled programs for this, that (almost anything you can imagine) in both the snail-mail and E-Mail. I usually either delete them or paper-recycle them. I can do without probably 99% of that stuff.
Do you have the My Buick app on your iPhone X?
Old 06-22-19, 03:33 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Mushrooms and black olives with sausage on 1/2 for me please. Who needs air bags?
Old 06-22-19, 03:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Do you have the My Buick app on your iPhone X?

No. Buick sent me a link for it, but I'm generally not interested in that kind of stuff. I'm still capable of ordering my own lunch.

I have a regular iPhone 7, BTW....not the X model. But, since I'm starting to use it for reviews now, I almost wish I had gotten the more photo-friendly 7X version with the wider camera-angle.
Old 06-22-19, 03:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Mushrooms and black olives with sausage on 1/2 for me please. Who needs air bags?
Yep...the last thing you need is an air bag going off when you are trying to eat pizza LOL.
Old 06-22-19, 03:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No. Buick sent me a link for it, but I'm generally not interested in that kind of stuff. I'm still capable of ordering my own lunch.
The app has all kinds of cool things. Like send a destination to your nav. Remote info for fuel and range. Among other things.
Old 06-22-19, 05:48 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

This is great for us Millennials who are to afraid of social interaction and rather order online then use a cell phone. I hope they add this feature to my 2019 camaro SS.
Old 06-22-19, 06:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
May I ask. What is the point of GM offering this?
because it's handy? think parent who just picked up kids from sports or daycare and wants an easy dinner... by using onstar all they have to do is talk to it.

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Why would I do this instead of using my phone?
because you can't do that while driving in most states. unless siri / google assistant lets you order dominoes.

i use the jimmy john's (subs) app on my phone (at a light) and will do a reorder when i'm driving to the office and i time it so that the guy on the bike usually arrives right after i do.
Old 06-23-19, 04:53 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep...the last thing you need is an air bag going off when you are trying to eat pizza LOL.
Well, with the Domino's carry out "insurance", it's no problem. They'll just give you a new pizza.
Old 06-23-19, 05:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
because it's handy? think parent who just picked up kids from sports or daycare and wants an easy dinner... by using onstar all they have to do is talk to it.
D
I think you have to order via the dash app. Not Onstar.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
because you can't do that while driving in most states. unless siri / google assistant lets you order dominoes.

i use the jimmy john's (subs) app on my phone (at a light) and will do a reorder when i'm driving to the office and i time it so that the guy on the bike usually arrives right after i do.
I guess I can just order from my apple watch with one touch reorder.

Quick Reply: General Motors Vehicles Now Let You Order Domino's Pizza from the Dash