Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

JD Power: Korean brands at top of initial quality, Lexus tops Dependability

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-19, 12:19 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The only recent exception I have seen to this general Korean superiority in initial quality and solidness has been the LX version of the new Kia Telluride. It is still a solid, well-built product (above average, I'd say), but doesn't quite show the material solidness inside or solid door-closings that we've come to expect from this brand in say, the last 10 years or so. I hope it is not a sign of a future downward or cost-cutting trend in materials with the Koreans, like we saw with Mercedes in the 1990s or with Lexus after the mid-2000s.
Did you see this car at the auto show? If so, I don't think that's a fair setting to judge how solid the interior of a car is. 1000s of people are getting in and out and trashing those cars.
Old 06-20-19, 01:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Did you see this car at the auto show?If so, I don't think that's a fair setting to judge how solid the interior of a car is.
No.....it was at the dealership (both of them sitting on the lot, for sale). I posted a static-review of both an LX and SX in Car Chat, about a week ago. I don't know if you saw it or not....you didn't post in it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...lluride-2.html
Old 06-20-19, 01:50 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They are not trying to fool anyone. Putting Genesis and Kia on top of initial quality surveys is only telling it like is.
I wonder about the Mini ranking in the dependability dept then. Even Dodge is ahead of Lexus in the IQ study. I'm very confused.
Old 06-20-19, 04:34 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I can relate to Kia (and Genesis) being at the top of the IQS (which measures quality <90 days ownership). However.... a few months later and little quality issues pop up that never have in my ownership of any Lexus.
Old 06-20-19, 04:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I can relate to Kia (and Genesis) being at the top of the IQS (which measures quality <90 days ownership). However.... a few months later and little quality issues pop up that never have in my ownership of any Lexus.
I recall you mentioning things about your KIA. Autoblog also had concerns too on their test drives.
Old 06-21-19, 12:52 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default J.D. Power 2019 Initial Quality Study

Korea gets a 1 2 3 finish

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...lity-study-iqs
Old 06-21-19, 01:59 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I know this will sound bad, but I feel Genesis and Hyundai are still mostly the same brand. Not enough time has passed since branching apart and now they claim two awards. Technically, but not really.
But congrats to them anyway for their overall rise from 80's junk. Quite the comeback kid story.
Old 06-21-19, 02:02 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Very odd and suspect seeing some of these stats. Dodge, Nissan, and Chevy all above Toyota and Lexus? This is totally opposite from all of CR's findings about reliability in general- which is connected to quality. Hmmmm.
Old 06-21-19, 03:58 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Never put much credence in their initial quality rankings. This is surveying owners within the first six months of any problems. The vehicle is under warranty so just a nuisance having to take it make for any fixes however I would not want Lexus in the bottom half. I put much more weight on their dependability study which looks at three year old vehicles. Here Lexus has been #1 for eight years in a row.
Old 06-21-19, 04:01 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Never put much credence in their initial quality rankings. This is surveying owners within the first six months of any problems. The vehicle is under warranty so just a nuisance having to take it make for any fixes however I would not want Lexus in the bottom half. I put much more weight on their dependability study which looks at three year old vehicles. Here Lexus has been #1 for eight years in a row.
Old 06-21-19, 04:27 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Not a good look for Lexus or Toyota.
Old 06-21-19, 05:41 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
The JD Power Initial Quality rankings is actually only based on first 3 months of ownership, not 6. So it's effectively a measure of QC at the production plant in my eyes and basically worthless to me personally since I never buy new. Nonetheless, I'm impressed with Kia, Hyundai and Genesis being at the top and will be interesting to see a few years from now how these cars are holding up.

And totally agree with you about the importance of looking at a study tracking longer term ownership (like 3 years as you mentioned). As someone who only buys used (typically in the 4-5 year post production timeframe), Toyota/Lexus' reliability and how well the cars age (no rattles, etc) is the primary reason I remain so loyal to the brand.
Old 06-21-19, 06:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
The JD Power Initial Quality rankings is actually only based on first 3 months of ownership, not 6. So it's effectively a measure of QC at the production plant in my eyes and basically worthless to me personally since I never buy new. Nonetheless, I'm impressed with Kia, Hyundai and Genesis being at the top and will be interesting to see a few years from now how these cars are holding up.

And totally agree with you about the importance of looking at a study tracking longer term ownership (like 3 years as you mentioned). As someone who only buys used (typically in the 4-5 year post production timeframe), Toyota/Lexus' reliability and how well the cars age (no rattles, etc) is the primary reason I remain so loyal to the brand.
How did you determine if it has to do with the production plant?
Old 06-21-19, 06:58 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How did you determine if it has to do with the production plant?
Because outside of electronics issues, there's not much else that could be wrong or go wrong in the first 90 days that aren't tied to quality control with production. Paint errors, mis-aligned panels, etc.
Old 06-21-19, 07:26 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by marjenmill
No, Tesla is not there. You can thank California for it because nearly half of all Tesla new sales are in California.California restricts their registration and sales data, which eliminates JD Power from getting the owner names for research (which is allowed by Federal law) so there isn't enough of a sample for JD Power to get a fair market overview.
Tesla would be where GM and Ford are in initial quality. Their newer cars have much less panel gap and good interior build but can't touch the Germans, Japanese, and Koreans. Their cars feel like you're in a spaceship...a very cheap spaceship

Edit: I realize Ford and GM scored high in this survey but typically, they have hovered near the average. Tesla st best is average

Quick Reply: JD Power: Korean brands at top of initial quality, Lexus tops Dependability