Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My 4Runner broke a brake line

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-19, 10:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Calgary has by-laws in place that prohibit washing your car with car wash soap/detergents because they drain into the catch basins
That's nonsense.....you need to elect some new officials. Most car-wash solutions today use phosphate-free detergents that do not harm the environment.

I use Simple-Green myself, which has been phosphate-free for years, but often times I don't need any detergent at all (just clean water and a sponge), because my car usually doesn't get that dirty.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-20-19 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-20-19, 11:23 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,741 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's nonsense.....you need to elect some new officials. Most car-wash solutions today use phosphate-free detergents that do not harm the environment.

I use Simple-Green myself, which has been phosphate-free for years, but often times I don't need any detergent at all (just clean water and a sponge), because my car usually doesn't get that dirty.

You know what's stupid? Here you can buy car wash soap just about anywhere but according to the bylaw the vast majority of people can't use it. According to city officials dumping tons of salt into the river is okay but using biodegradable soap will get you fined.

Last edited by LeX2K; 06-20-19 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-20-19, 01:33 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You know what's stupid? Here you can buy car wash soap just about anywhere but according to the bylaw the vast majority of people can't use it. According to city officials dumping tons of salt into the river is okay but using biodegradable soap will get you fined.
I don't live there anymore so I have no say on who does what. That said, even if retailers were to ban the use of non-biodegradable soap, consumers would still be able to order whatever they wanted online. Officials can't control that, but they can put by-laws in place to prevent citizens from driveway washing, so that's what they did.
Old 06-20-19, 02:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Calgary has by-laws in place that prohibit washing your car with car wash soap/detergents because they drain into the catch basins. Calgary also has an excellent recycling program, and they also implemented a compost program. I think all of this offsets the environmental impact of the SNIC material draining into the catch basins. Not to mention the procedures in place for storing salt/pickle piles in structures and on sites that control and prevent those chemicals from draining into the main water system.
Originally Posted by Lexus2000
According to city officials dumping tons of salt into the river is okay but using biodegradable soap will get you fined.
but they can put by-laws in place to prevent citizens from driveway washing, so that's what they did.
Reading some of your comments today at work. Fascinating to learn that storm water in Calgary is push back into the rivers. So if one washes their car in their own driveway, all the dirt and dirty water will then enter the rivers.
Old 06-20-19, 07:30 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Reading some of your comments today at work. Fascinating to learn that storm water in Calgary is push back into the rivers. So if one washes their car in their own driveway, all the dirt and dirty water will then enter the rivers.
There are often 2 separate dirty water systems under our cities.

A wastewater system takes our indoor waste from sinks, tubs, toilets, and industrial waste (including carwash facilities) to treat it before dumping it clean into our lakes and rivers.

A stormwater system collects our outdoor waste water runoff from streets, driveways and lawns into a separate system in under-street drains that may not be treated before it is directly dumped into rivers and lakes. That is why cities may not allow you to wash your car in the driveway, where soap and oil residue goes directly into the under-street drainage system and untreated into our waterways. Yet, winter residue of dirty snow and water (salt, sand, etc.) also goes untreated into the under-street drains.
Old 06-21-19, 06:43 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

A wastewater system takes our indoor waste from sinks, tubs, toilets, and industrial waste (including carwash facilities) to treat it before dumping it clean into our lakes and rivers.

A stormwater system collects our outdoor waste water runoff from streets, driveways and lawns into a separate system in under-street drains that may not be treated before it is directly dumped into rivers and lakes. That is why cities may not allow you to wash your car in the driveway, where soap and oil residue goes directly into the under-street drainage system and untreated into our waterways. Yet, winter residue of dirty snow and water (salt, sand, etc.) also goes untreated into the under-street drains.
Just to add to your post, I found this: https://www.peterschemical.com/calci...ch-do-you-use/

Basically, calcium chloride (what Calgary primarily uses) is more effective (melts faster, has a lower temp threshold, requires less product) and more environmentally friendly than rock salt. There's even a little snippet in that article regarding pavement damage.
Old 06-21-19, 05:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

interesting post! and having the two separate systems makes a lot of sense, but not treating stormwater (and driveway runoff) before dumping into rivers and lakes seems like a horrendously bad idea.
Old 07-28-19, 11:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Got my 4Runner back a few weeks ago. The alternator is now done. Stalled at home (lucky me, not on the road) last Saturday, I finally got around to addressing the issue and it was towed out today. The vehicle had been on the road since 2004, never needed a tow. Never left me stranded. This time around it was two break-downs within 40 days.....and then, on top of that, we went out for ice cream the next day in my other car...go to start the car...dead battery....in the middle of the McDonalds parking lot..I just changed the battery on the spot. Anyways, just thought I would share my story.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-28-19 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-28-19, 11:25 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 242 Likes on 172 Posts

Time to get a Tesla.
Old 07-28-19, 01:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This time around it was two break-downs within 40 days.....and then, on top of that, we went out for ice cream the next day in my car...go to start the car...dead battery....in the middle of the McDonalds parking lot..I just changed the battery on the spot. Anyways, just thought I would share my story.
Sorry for the breakdowns and the inconvenience/bother you had to go through. (I hope it was good ice cream, and worth it)

No vehicle lasts forever....even tough 4Runners. Sounds to me like it just may (?) be that time again............

I'm going to try and do some more test-drives next week...perhaps a new Telluride or Palisade, if enough of them are in stock (I didn't do test-drives of either one when I did the static-reviews and wrote them up). I know, from your many posts on the subject, that you are probably not interested in a new Hyundai or Kia, but, if I get a chance, do you want me to check out a new 4Runner? Here, in the U.S., Toyota shops are still selling the 2019 4Runner...the 2020 has not debuted yet, though I don't think it is going to be a major redesign.
Old 07-28-19, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Life with a 15 year old car unfortunately.
Old 07-28-19, 02:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Got my 4Runner back a few weeks ago. The alternator is now done. Stalled at home (lucky me, not on the road) last Saturday, I finally got around to addressing the issue and it was towed out today. The vehicle had been on the road since 2004, never needed a tow. Never left me stranded. This time around it was two break-downs within 40 days.....and then, on top of that, we went out for ice cream the next day in my other car...go to start the car...dead battery....in the middle of the McDonalds parking lot..I just changed the battery on the spot. Anyways, just thought I would share my story.
sorry to hear. glad the 4runner alternator was dead at home at least. and yeah, dead batteries happen! don't know if your other car (matrix?) is driven a lot of stop and go, and maybe not that often, but those 2 things shorten battery life a lot, not to mention the very cold winters there. through all my vehicles, i've come to the conclusion after 3 years it's time for a new battery.

about reliability in general, many on CL love to throw around that toyota/lexus vehicles run reliably to 200k+ with no issues but i think that's either just luck, or just seeing things through rose-colored glasses. not dissing toyota/lexus EXCELLENT reliability! but entropy always wins and sooner or later parts fail. we hope it's just cheaper parts and labor like batteries.

for me, not speaking for anyone else, i'm not interested in russian roulette with older cars, especially since now they have some VERY expensive electronic and other parts that will be hard to replace in later years. plus, i just get bored of having the same car for more than say 5 years no matter how nice or reliable it is.

anyway, thanks for sharing, and hopefully
Old 07-28-19, 03:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

about reliability in general, many on CL love to throw around that toyota/lexus vehicles run reliably to 200k+ with no issues
For my household, we view reliability and issues as sort of separate. Our current batch of cars have not left us stranded until this 4Runner did it twice. Issues, such as rear struts on hatch failing (Matrix), numerous LX450 issues due to age, none for Corolla and the non working heated seats, airbag issues, broken rear wiper plastic, leaking oil lines, we feel are different and separate from reliability, my sisters IS250 break-down was definitely reliability. Not speaking for everyone, but just for us.

sorry to hear.

anyway, thanks for sharing, and hopefully
Thanks for the support.. Having a second older car for both of us are just hobbies

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-28-19 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-28-19, 05:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Our current batch of cars have not left us stranded until this 4Runner did it twice. ...
I’ve never had a car leave me stranded, ever (that’s decades of driving). And especially with cars being made today i think that concern is not even worth worrying about.
Old 07-28-19, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Our current batch of cars have not left us stranded until this 4Runner did it twice. ...

I’ve never had a car leave me stranded, ever (that’s decades of driving). And especially with cars being made today i think that concern is not even worth worrying about.
Also, Jill, I'm not trying to be rude, but, don't forget, some the problems you had with that 4Runner are simply due to not keeping it clean and letting road-salt eat away at underbody components. I know it's difficult, when the weather is often below freezing (as is often the case in upstate NY and Toronto, where you are), but there are ways (besides not driving it) to keep the vehicle reasonably clean even in those conditions.

Yes, salt can be a PITA......it is one of the banes of vehicle-ownership. Some jurisdictions use other more expensive and less-corrosive materials to de-ice the roads in winter. But, for the places that don't (or can't afford to), dealing with salt is, unfortunately, a fact of life, and one simply has to cope, or, over time, risk vehicle damage.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-28-19 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: My 4Runner broke a brake line