Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car & Driver luxury sedan ranking

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-19, 02:38 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I have yet to see a redesigned K900 on the road, but I, too, am impressed with the whole design and quality of the vehicle. That being said, I think Kia is still a long way from being able to compete with the established German/Asian brands in this segment due to one reason - their name. Sure people have moved beyond the Kia name in many segments, but if someone was shopping for a 5/7-series, E-class, etc., the Kia wouldn't even be on their radar. I think most K900 sales will be from people already shopping Kia for maybe an Optima and being up-sold on the K900.
I haven't seen one either but just noticed Kia is only selling 20-30 of them per month. Pretty small numbers.
Old 06-12-19, 03:03 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I haven't seen one either but just noticed Kia is only selling 20-30 of them per month. Pretty small numbers.
That's on par with what the old generation was selling. I really don't think these are on anyone's radar. I think these are being sold to people who go in for one model and get up-sold for only $100/month more LOL.
Old 06-12-19, 03:10 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

S90? ...ok...
Old 06-12-19, 09:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's not available on the G90????

That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing
no not on the G90 because it’s now a generation behind the K900. but the big time refresh is coming later this year or next year and will have lots of new goodies i’m sure.
Old 06-13-19, 05:16 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 399 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
That being said, I think Kia is still a long way from being able to compete with the established German/Asian brands in this segment due to one reason - their name. I think most K900 sales will be from people already shopping Kia for maybe an Optima and being up-sold on the K900.
Interesting point. They appear to have made a beautiful car - but the sales figures referenced in an earlier thread are just abysmal. I wonder what they can/will do to try to get people to seek out the K900 instead of being upsold into one? At $60k starting price, it sure seems to offer room and appointments not found in other sedans of similar price point. I would love to know the psychological mindset(s) of buyers that Kia is honing in on to try and change. Is it the buyer looking at a 1-2 year old A8L, LS, etc where the price has come down to $65k? Is it the brand loyalist who is unwilling to give Kia a try? Is it brand snobbery? Is it the dealership experience (so many other cars being sold at a low price point changing the feel of the service experience, etc)?
Old 06-13-19, 06:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Interesting point. They appear to have made a beautiful car - but the sales figures referenced in an earlier thread are just abysmal. I wonder what they can/will do to try to get people to seek out the K900 instead of being upsold into one? At $60k starting price, it sure seems to offer room and appointments not found in other sedans of similar price point. I would love to know the psychological mindset(s) of buyers that Kia is honing in on to try and change. Is it the buyer looking at a 1-2 year old A8L, LS, etc where the price has come down to $65k? Is it the brand loyalist who is unwilling to give Kia a try? Is it brand snobbery? Is it the dealership experience (so many other cars being sold at a low price point changing the feel of the service experience, etc)?
The problem is American culture. People do not want expensive KIA’s. Just like Toyota sells very few LC models, the same will be for KIA. VW stopped selling higher end Toureg models.
Old 06-13-19, 06:55 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The problem is American culture. People do not want expensive KIA’s. Just like Toyota sells very few LC models, the same will be for KIA. VW stopped selling higher end Toureg models.
When you say "LC" if you are referring to LandCruiser, they don't sell in big numbers because the supply is low (same with LX)... I think you are talking about two different issues at play.
Old 06-13-19, 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

People do not want expensive KIA’s.
Perhaps a little off-topic, but, before making that statement, let's see how the new Telluride sells. You are claiming that the sedan market is dying....maybe the public will spring for an upmarket Kia crossover SUV.

The problem is American culture
I'll at least partly agree with you there. I often talk with new-car buyers (and prospective new-car buyers) who are even more stubborn than, well...........me LOL.
Old 06-13-19, 07:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps a little off-topic, but, before making that statement, let's see how the new Telluride sells. You are claiming that the sedan market is dying....maybe the public will spring for an upmarket Kia crossover SUV.
The KIa Telluride is a different story. So NO. Let me not have a “before” you make that statement. The 900 is a $59K starting price KIA. The Telluride is a $31K starting price KIA.

But it let’s get back to the 900. I see nothing wrong with it. Sales numbers are irrelevant, if they sell 100 a month, good for them.
Old 06-13-19, 07:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I believe it sells quite well in Korea, so I suspect it's just a matter of "might as well send a few over to the states to sell too". I don't think the success of the K900 is riding on sales in North America.
Old 06-13-19, 07:23 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDR76
I believe it sells quite well in Korea, so I suspect it's just a matter of "might as well send a few over to the states to sell too". I don't think the success of the K900 is riding on sales in North America.
You're 100% right. My thoughts were more around the potential tipping point Kia could reach if they could flip North American mindsets with a luxury sedan.
Old 06-13-19, 07:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The KIa Telluride is a different story. So NO. Let me not have a “before” you make that statement. The 900 is a $59K starting price KIA. The Telluride is a $31K starting price KIA.
Top-line Tellurides can run well over 50K with options.

But it let’s get back to the 900. I see nothing wrong with it. Sales numbers are irrelevant, if they sell 100 a month, good for them.
Well, are they relevant or aren't they? You say, in one post, that the numbers are low because Americans don't want pricey Kias, then, in the next, say that it's irrelevant. I'm not sure I follow you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-13-19 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-13-19, 07:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Genesis G80 and G90, even with their own fairly low sales numbers, are probably impacting at least some of the K900 sales in North America. That's one reason why Hyundai dropped the Equus....the G90 essentially replaced it.

Even though they are unquestionably generally doing quite well as it is, one potential problem that the Koreans have, in the U.S., with their vehicles, is that they tune the suspensions for a slightly firmer ride, thinking that that is what Americans want (in other words, they listen to the auto press, and not necessarily the public itself). In Korea, the public likes mush-mobiles, the auto press has little influence, and that is how the suspensions and tires are done in that market.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-13-19 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-13-19, 07:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

For sure. K900 sales are just gravy on the whole thing.
Old 06-13-19, 07:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Genesis G80 and G90, even with their own fairly low sales numbers, are probably impacting at least some of the K900 sales in North America.
I think that's probably fair. I think the K900 is nice and I do respect it, but I would most likely choose a G80 over the K900.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver luxury sedan ranking