Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volvos — any and all of them — now get free towing for life

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 10:14 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Volvos — any and all of them — now get free towing for life

It doesn't matter how old or new the Volvo is

Volvo just announced an awesome new service today called Complimentary Tow for Life. It means exactly what it says. If you own a Volvo, roadside towing is now available free of charge. The coolest part? It doesn't matter how old your Volvo is, the service applies to every Volvo ever sold in the U.S.

This means that 1958 Volvo P-121 sitting in your garage gets a free tow. Same goes for the 1966 P1800. That 1980s Volvo station wagon you still daily drive? Yep, that one, too.

Of course, most folks don't drive around vintage Volvos on the daily, but now those cars and Volvo's new vehicles are covered under this towing program. Previously, Volvo only extended the complimentary tow to Volvos still under warranty as part of its roadside assistance services. Those who take advantage of the program can expect to be towed to the nearest Volvo retailer covered under the program.

Volvo's head of customer service, Scott Doering said, "Tow for Life ensures that in the event of a breakdown, help is on hand no matter the age of the vehicle. It's a commitment to all our customers that cars will be taken to experts who use genuine Volvo parts and repair methods."

To use the towing service, Volvo owners should call for help using Volvo On-Call in new cars, or call 1-800-550-5658 to get through to Volvo Customer Care.
Source
Old 06-04-19, 11:11 AM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

"It's a commitment to all our customers that cars will be taken to experts who use genuine Volvo parts and repair methods."

I can see how this can get a bit scary for most Volvo owners. ha!
Old 06-04-19, 11:17 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

I think the biggest beneficiaries will be the dealers.
Old 06-04-19, 11:44 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Oh, man, have they seriously thought this through?

I can easily come up with some competing ad storyboards to be run by other automakers. "One of our competitors offers to tow their cars for free. We think it's a far better idea to not break down in the first place. Your choice."
Old 06-04-19, 11:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by rmason

I can see how this can get a bit scary for most Volvo owners. ha!
Some of the newer Volvos are made in China
Old 06-04-19, 02:47 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Some of the newer Volvos are made in China
All my electronic, iphone, computer are made in China. What is your point?
Old 06-04-19, 05:42 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I really want an XC90. A buddy has a 2017, no issues with it. It's a gorgeous truck inside and out.
Old 06-04-19, 05:47 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
All my electronic, iphone, computer are made in China. What is your point?
don't get so upset comrade!
Old 06-04-19, 06:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
"One of our competitors offers to tow their cars for free. We think it's a far better idea to not break down in the first place. Your choice."

Yep.....that's the first thought that came to me, too.
Old 06-06-19, 06:43 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is some of the details that I found:
  • The tow to the Volvo dealer is free but if you decide not to have the car serviced there, you are charged for the tow.
  • The Tow for Life program is not available in Canada. I wonder what would happen if a Canadian drove their Volvo across the border and broke down -- would the tow then be free for that Canadian-registered Volvo?

Volvo offers free towing for Volvos of all ages, but not in Canada
The Tow for Life program will bring any Volvo to the nearest retailer for free — so long as the car is serviced there

Volvo has launched a new service called Tow For Life, offering Volvo owners a tow to their nearest dealership should they break down, completely free of charge, regardless of how old and decrepit the vehicle.

Free, that is, at least until you get to the Volvo retailer and decide not to have the car serviced there. Then you pay for it.

“Tow for Life ensures that in the event of a breakdown, help is on hand no matter the age of the vehicle,” said Scott Doering, Head of Customer Service for Volvo Car USA, in a press release. “It’s a commitment to all our customers that cars will be taken to experts who use genuine Volvo parts and repair methods. This will get the customer back on the road faster and provide assurance that the repair was done right.”

It’s a pretty brilliant move for the company, bringing the wounded to the hospital for free and then charging them to see the doctor. It’s also a sweet deal for those Volvo owners who prefer to have service performed by official dealers.

Complimentary towing is a part of Volvo’s existing warranties, but even post-warranty vehicles can get the tow covered by the brand if they use the proper channels to call it in.

But before you go cancelling your CAA coverage, know that we reached out to the brand directly and can confirm that, sadly, the program will not be offered in Canada.
Source
Old 06-06-19, 08:28 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Why don't all manufactures have this service? It's a no brainer. Considering how much the dealers charge the tow bill is nominal.
Old 06-06-19, 08:36 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Why would anyone want this service outside of warranty? 25 mile max tow, then you have to get service done by the dealership or you forfeit the free tow. If you are under warranty volvo roadside already gives this for free...Idk unless you dont care or your clueless I guess its something.
Old 06-07-19, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
  • The Tow for Life program is not available in Canada.
My guess is because in parts of Northern Canada, which is mostly wilderness, they'd have to tow it too far to the nearest repair facility.
Old 06-07-19, 05:34 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ABC
I really want an XC90. A buddy has a 2017, no issues with it. It's a gorgeous truck inside and out.
If 2017 is the same as 2018 the XC90 has a lot of software problems with the center touch screen that controls many functions. At best it is difficult to navigate around.
Old 06-08-19, 07:09 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
If 2017 is the same as 2018 the XC90 has a lot of software problems with the center touch screen that controls many functions. At best it is difficult to navigate around.
The XC90 is still quite an amazing vehicle on paper, just the reliability is sketchy at best.

Quick Reply: Volvos — any and all of them — now get free towing for life