ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   2020 RX and RXL revealed... (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/919700-2020-rx-and-rxl-revealed.html)

SW17LS 06-14-19 08:25 AM

I don't see how anybody can choose to buy a GX460 and complain that the 2020 RX is behind in tech...of all the Lexus vehicles its the one thats most behind...

Toys4RJill 06-14-19 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by SW17LS (Post 10541300)
I don't see how anybody can choose to buy a GX460 and complain that the 2020 RX is behind in tech...of all the Lexus vehicles its the one thats most behind...

You make a great point. I think it’s just needless just for the sake of being needless.

SW17LS 06-14-19 02:08 PM

If I cared about tech, I wouldn't buy a Lexus, thats just the bottom line. I like tech in a car, I think its cool its just not one of the top things on my list.

mmarshall 06-14-19 03:06 PM

One reason, given the choice, that I would probably take a GX over an RX, even with the GX's somewhat stiffer ride and more-tipsy handling, is the GX's solid construction and underpinnings. Though there are places in the U.S. where the roads are even worse, the deterioration in the roads/bridges/infrastructure in this area, in the last several years, has been remarkable. Some improvements have been made, but in general, the pavement-deterioration has been faster and more widespread than VDOT (Virginia Department of Transportation) paving-crews can keep up with. In addition, when they DO repave the roads, the utility companies come in and just tear them up again trying to get to underground water-mains, cables, wires, gas-lines, etc.....and do not make adequate patch-repairs to the road surface. Vehicles like the GX and Land Cruiser can pound over those kind of roads, day and night, without knocking wheels out of alignment, wearing out shocks and suspensions, or getting squeaks/rattles in the structure.

Toys4RJill 06-15-19 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by mmarshall (Post 10541640)
In addition, when they DO repave the roads, the utility companies come in and just tear them up again trying to get to underground water-mains, cables, wires, gas-lines, etc.....and do not make adequate patch-repairs to the road surface

Originally Posted by mmarshall (Post 10541640)
the deterioration in the roads/bridges/infrastructure in this area, in the last several years, has been remarkable. Some improvements have been made, but in general, the pavement-deterioration has been faster and more widespread than VDOT (Virginia Department of Transportation) paving-crews can keep up with. .

Is this really the case in your area?

mmarshall 06-15-19 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10542169)

Not for decades, but it has become so in the last several years, due to several factors. I could list them here, or go into them more at length, but the moderators would probably not consider the subject appropriate for Car Chat, and delete the post.

SW17LS 06-16-19 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10542169)

Its gotten pretty bad. I think suggesting that a GX is required to navigate them over an RX is dramatic, but a lot of the roads are a mess. Even the highways.

The BW Parkway got so bad they had to reduce the speed limit.

situman 06-17-19 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by SW17LS (Post 10541300)

That's true I shouldn't complain about the RX being behind when I own a GX. However, the RX is the bread and butter of Lexus and it should offer more. Honestly, I don't understand how Lexus treats its higher end models where it gets less features, but that also goes to show Lexus values its lower end models more.

situman 06-17-19 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10540801)
I don't view the RX as a competitor against the Germans models. Lexus in the unique position as the RX and ES, LX compare well with Lincoln, Cadillac and of course Acura. Whereas the rest of the brand IS, LS, LC all compare with the German brands. As for the GX, its a unique vehicle in that it was designed to appeal to existing Toyota brand customers who want something more upscale but are very loyal to the Toyota brand. A GX is definitely not a German competitor. What made you choose the GX?

I firmly view the RX as a competitor to the Germans, in fact I view the whole brand as a German competitors, otherwise why pay the extra premium versus an Acura or Infiniti? I chose the GX because of its overall feel as a vehicle. I have driven the RX, NX, ES, GS, LS and none of those unibody cars compares to the overall solidity of these BOF vehicles. Sure it rides a bit rougher and more head tussle over broken pavement, but its better absorbed and controlled, less crashy so to speak.

Toys4RJill 06-17-19 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by situman (Post 10543187)
I chose the GX because of its overall feel as a vehicle. I have driven the RX, NX, ES, GS, LS and none of those unibody cars compares to the overall solidity of these BOF vehicles. Sure it rides a bit rougher and more head tussle over broken pavement, but its better absorbed and controlled, less crashy so to speak.

Yes I agree. The overall feel is different. We have had Toyota BOF models for our whole lives. I agree things are absorbed differently. However, for a daily driver. I would never want to drive a Lexus BOF model every day. An RX makes far better sense and is easier going. There are quite a few deficiencies that one gets with an LX or GX and the Toyota 4Runners and Land Cruisers. But they are fun to own.

situman 06-17-19 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10543217)
Yes I agree. The overall feel is different. We have had Toyota BOF models for our whole lives. I agree things are absorbed differently. However, for a daily driver. I would never want to drive a Lexus BOF model every day. An RX makes far better sense and is easier going. There are quite a few deficiencies that one gets with an LX or GX and the Toyota 4Runners and Land Cruisers. But they are fun to own.

Yea gas mileage is one, I'm averaging a bit over 15mpg. Strangely, my 2011 RX also averaged around 15mpg up to 18mpg. Not sure what owners are getting with the current gen.

jwong77 06-17-19 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by situman (Post 10543423)
Yea gas mileage is one, I'm averaging a bit over 15mpg. Strangely, my 2011 RX also averaged around 15mpg up to 18mpg. Not sure what owners are getting with the current gen.

2017 350 - I'm getting 19.4 MPG mostly used by my wife to do crosstown trips for baby related activities.

situman 06-17-19 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by jwong77 (Post 10543508)
2017 350 - I'm getting 19.4 MPG mostly used by my wife to do crosstown trips for baby related activities.

Not much of an.improvement 6 yrs later huh?

SW17LS 06-17-19 04:16 PM

Its only the best selling luxury SUV on earth, but what does Lexus know?

jwong77 06-17-19 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by situman (Post 10543665)
Not much of an.improvement 6 yrs later huh?

Well the drivetrain hasn’t changed much as far as I know, but the fact it uses regular vs premium gas helps to relieve the pain at the pump.