Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 RX and RXL revealed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 10:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default 2020 RX and RXL revealed...

besides front and rear nip and tuck, they're going to offer an optional 12.3" infotainment TOUCH screen with android auto and apple carplay.

image from motor1.com

article from here: https://www.motor1.com/news/351894/2...s-rx-unveiled/

The Lexus RX gets a facelift and some much-needed tech updates for the 2020 model year. Though Lexus’s updates to the RX may seem relatively tame, the brand is surely looking to play things safe with its mid-sized crossover, which also serves as its best-selling vehicle. Luckily, Lexus chose to update the model’s most subpar part: infotainment system.

Both the two-row RX and larger, three-row RXL benefit from revised front and rear fascias, as well as newly standard 18-inch wheels. The headlights are thinner, which creates a sleeker overall face. Likewise, the taillights thin out a bit and complement a slightly less rounded-off rear fascia. That said, the exterior styling remains largely unchanged.

The bigger news is in the cabin, where a 12.3-inch touchscreen is now available. Meanwhile, an 8.0-inch touchscreen comes standard, replicated the same size as the current RX. While the frustrating remote touchpad system is still present, the addition of touchscreen functionality should improve the ergonomics. Both Apple Carplay and Android Auto are now included, the latter of which is the first for a Lexus model. Opting for the bigger screen also brings improved voice control, which Lexus says can handle bigger inputs, like address entry.

Every RX now comes standard with Lexus’s latest suite of safety tech, which includes new technologies such as low-light pedestrian detection and lane-tracing assist. The pre-collision warning system also now detects bicyclists, in addition to other vehicles and pedestrians.

Lexus also tinkered with the RX’s driving dynamics, albeit minimally. New hollowed-out front and rear stabilizer bars and reinforced bushings work to reduce body roll, while the shock absorbers are re-tuned for a smoother ride. Additionally, the F-Sport package now includes Active Variable Suspension (AVS) from the LC sports coupe.

The 2020 Lexus RX’s changes are rather reserved, however, the revisions made are welcomed, particularly those to the infotainment system. The inclusion of Android Auto is an especially important addition – one that will hopefully trickle down to other Lexus models. With its slightly tweaked exterior styling and a more user-friendly cabin, it’s likely the Lexus RX will maintain the sales success of the current model.

Source: Lexus

Old 05-29-19, 10:28 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Here's a video of it in the flesh:

Old 05-29-19, 10:36 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Love the updates! Our 2017 is due to be returned this December, I look forward to moving up to these new updates.
Old 05-29-19, 10:49 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Is it just or is the new grill and headlights making a huge difference. I think the front end looks good.
Old 05-29-19, 11:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I claimed months ago the touchscreen would comeback. Granted I said 5RX, but I'll still take it
Old 05-30-19, 12:54 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Very predictable exterior updates. The front follows the NX facelift lines, where Lexus is constantly struggling to enlarge the lower side air intakes without clashing with the jumbo grille. It would be so much easier if they just shrunk the grille and ran with larger, sportier side intakes once and for all. The IS desperately needs such treatment.
Rear is hard to see, but seems nicely executed.
I still don't see touchscreens as a safe way to drive. All eyes on the screen to make sure your finger hits the right image.
Old 05-30-19, 02:48 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Touchscreen is the biggest addition, but nice to see the RTI touchpad vs the joystick RT.

Latest mapping system from the ES too, it looks like
Old 05-30-19, 03:06 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Every review I've seen with the touchpad hates it.
Old 05-30-19, 06:09 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Very predictable exterior updates. The front follows the NX facelift lines, where Lexus is constantly struggling to enlarge the lower side air intakes without clashing with the jumbo grille. It would be so much easier if they just shrunk the grille and ran with larger, sportier side intakes once and for all. The IS desperately needs such treatment.
Rear is hard to see, but seems nicely executed.
I still don't see touchscreens as a safe way to drive. All eyes on the screen to make sure your finger hits the right image.
While it's true that a touchscreen still requires you to momentarily divert your eyes, your brain can process a direct touch input MUCH more easily than having an indirect interface with the RT.
Old 05-30-19, 06:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I have Lexus has finally added a proper touchscreen back to at least one their cars. It was the right thing to do to now have both option of RTI or touch and let the driver decide what they want to do. Finally!!!
Old 05-30-19, 06:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
your eyes have to go to the screen no matter what the input type, except voice input so i don’t see your point. But my g90 doesn’t have a touch screen and frankly i don’t miss it, and i certainly don’t miss the finger prints and having to clean the screen!
Old 05-30-19, 06:45 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i certainly don’t miss the finger prints and having to clean the screen!
a touch screen with the correct kind of material doesn't retrain massive finger prints.
Old 05-30-19, 07:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Fantastic updates! I hate touchscreens, so I am happy that they are providing two input options. Everybody wins!
Old 05-30-19, 07:27 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Seems like a pretty far reach for a touch screen, even with it moved forward.
Old 05-30-19, 07:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
a touch screen with the correct kind of material doesn't retrain massive finger prints.
That is correct. It needs a special coating. My fathers Avalon does not show fingerprints. Very similar to a iPhone

Quick Reply: 2020 RX and RXL revealed...