Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
Virginia Ranks #1 for Distracted Driving/Cell-Phone Use. >

Virginia Ranks #1 for Distracted Driving/Cell-Phone Use.

Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Virginia Ranks #1 for Distracted Driving/Cell-Phone Use.

 
Old 06-04-19, 07:09 AM
  #91  
sm1ke
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (5)
 
sm1ke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: I'm Canadian!
Posts: 1,352
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
I actually hear emergency vehicles typically before I see them in a mirror. Bottom line is, we're both choosing to accept distractions that are limiting our ability to be alerted to emergency vehicles.
I think this is partially due to the cars we drive; I'm in an SUV and you're in a sedan. Makes sense that I might see an emergency vehicle before hearing it with a slightly higher vantage point.


Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
Just because I'm looking at my phone in my hand at steering wheel level doesnt mean that I'm not aware of what's going on around me. The windshield is still visible in my upper periphery, and in reality I'm looking up every couple of seconds to make sure I'm not missing anything or the light. I think your scenario is one I would see, and if I didn't it would be an extremely unlikely confluence of scenarios occurring to make it so. In any event, I could have missed it digging through my console or glove box, or picking up food to eat it, etc.
Those are both big distractions, and one of them is enforceable by law. You're right, keeping the phone at steering wheel level or wherever you say you're holding it doesn't mean you aren't aware, but you can't argue that you are less aware than you could be.


Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
And? Most people don't drive around as part of their workday.
Strong assumption to make.


Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
And I can hear it and you can't. So like I said, we're both choosing not to pay as close attention as we could.
You're assuming you know how loud my music is and how good/bad my hearing is.


Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
You're assuming that localities pass laws and law enforcement officials enforce laws with the primary goal being to make us safer. I don't agree with that, I think the vast majority of traffic laws and enforcement is meant to create revenue. Its illegal when stopped because its much easier to enforce amongst stopped cars.
And you're assuming that the majority of traffic laws and enforcement are meant to create revenue. Think what you want, the fact is that it's safer to not be distracted.


Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
I wouldn't even try to argue my way out of a ticket or plead my case in traffic court. I would pay the ticket. If it were a serious fine I'd hire a good attorney and they would get me out of it.
Well, in that case, I'd love see your attorney do that.
sm1ke is offline  
Old 06-04-19, 01:27 PM
  #92  
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW17LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 27,028
Received 682 Likes on 561 Posts
Default

I don't see any point in continuing to go around and around about this. Bottom line is, I'm not going to be out of contact when I'm driving a car...nor are most people. The only way to truly help this situation is to continue to develop technologies that mitigate the risks of that distraction.
SW17LS is offline  
Old 06-04-19, 01:38 PM
  #93  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 13,250
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
I don't see any point in continuing to go around and around about this. Bottom line is, I'm not going to be out of contact when I'm driving a car...nor are most people. The only way to truly help this situation is to continue to develop technologies that mitigate the risks of that distraction.
I agree. They are doing this.
LexsCTJill is online now  
Old 06-04-19, 07:58 PM
  #94  
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
iTrader: (20)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 56,079
Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
I don't see any point in continuing to go around and around about this.
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
I agree.
I agree too. Closed.
bitkahuna is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Virginia Ranks #1 for Distracted Driving/Cell-Phone Use.


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: