Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Virginia Ranks #1 for Distracted Driving/Cell-Phone Use.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 07:09 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I actually hear emergency vehicles typically before I see them in a mirror. Bottom line is, we're both choosing to accept distractions that are limiting our ability to be alerted to emergency vehicles.
I think this is partially due to the cars we drive; I'm in an SUV and you're in a sedan. Makes sense that I might see an emergency vehicle before hearing it with a slightly higher vantage point.

Just because I'm looking at my phone in my hand at steering wheel level doesnt mean that I'm not aware of what's going on around me. The windshield is still visible in my upper periphery, and in reality I'm looking up every couple of seconds to make sure I'm not missing anything or the light. I think your scenario is one I would see, and if I didn't it would be an extremely unlikely confluence of scenarios occurring to make it so. In any event, I could have missed it digging through my console or glove box, or picking up food to eat it, etc.
Those are both big distractions, and one of them is enforceable by law. You're right, keeping the phone at steering wheel level or wherever you say you're holding it doesn't mean you aren't aware, but you can't argue that you are less aware than you could be.

And? Most people don't drive around as part of their workday.
Strong assumption to make.

And I can hear it and you can't. So like I said, we're both choosing not to pay as close attention as we could.
You're assuming you know how loud my music is and how good/bad my hearing is.

You're assuming that localities pass laws and law enforcement officials enforce laws with the primary goal being to make us safer. I don't agree with that, I think the vast majority of traffic laws and enforcement is meant to create revenue. Its illegal when stopped because its much easier to enforce amongst stopped cars.
And you're assuming that the majority of traffic laws and enforcement are meant to create revenue. Think what you want, the fact is that it's safer to not be distracted.

I wouldn't even try to argue my way out of a ticket or plead my case in traffic court. I would pay the ticket. If it were a serious fine I'd hire a good attorney and they would get me out of it.
Well, in that case, I'd love see your attorney do that.
Old 06-04-19, 01:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I don't see any point in continuing to go around and around about this. Bottom line is, I'm not going to be out of contact when I'm driving a car...nor are most people. The only way to truly help this situation is to continue to develop technologies that mitigate the risks of that distraction.
Old 06-04-19, 01:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't see any point in continuing to go around and around about this. Bottom line is, I'm not going to be out of contact when I'm driving a car...nor are most people. The only way to truly help this situation is to continue to develop technologies that mitigate the risks of that distraction.
I agree. They are doing this.
Old 06-04-19, 07:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I don't see any point in continuing to go around and around about this.
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree.
I agree too. Closed.