Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Virginia Ranks #1 for Distracted Driving/Cell-Phone Use.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-19, 11:25 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 233 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As an ex-pilot, I can tell you that flying requires far more multi-tasking, especially when in a high-density airspace talking to controllers, than almost anything one will face while driving, short of an emergency. But pilots train for that, and are re-evacuated yearly for it...the average driver, under most conditions, does not.
of course flying is much more involved than driving, and yes under most conditions driving is a very low effort activity... but a test that if you pass allows you to drive a car literally anywhere within the country shouldn't cover just the bare minimum, that's exactly how accidents happen since people are then inadequately prepared for when something extreme happens

pretty much everyone will look at their phone at some point when they're driving, and the road test does nothing to address this or the many other electronic screens and devices scattered throughout the modern vehicle... during the test you should have to text 'hello' to 3 different people and change 3 radio presents, or something like that lol
Old 05-29-19, 05:39 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Thats ridiculous. Me and others working in our cars is completely different from some guy updating his FB status. I'm not playing on the internet, I'm replying to a text from a paying customer at a red light while my car holds the brake for me. There is ZERO risk there. Come down off your high horse.

I'm glad that you don't need to use your time in your car as work time, I'd rather I didnt either. You also likely spend way less time in a car than I do seeing you live in NYC. I spent 4 hours in the car today. If I wasn't working during those 4 hours, I would STILL be working.
I'm not singling you out, you're a car enthusiast like all of us on this site, and probably a better than average driver that can handle multitasking. However, distracted driving is a widespread problem and you can't deny the fact that it is currently one of top causes for car crashes. It's only a matter of time until law enforcement start to really crack down on it, and they wont discriminate between a businessman replying to a customer's text and and a blonde bimbo updating her FB status.
Old 05-29-19, 05:46 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
I agree. People flaunt the law not because the penalty is ineffective but because the risk of being caught is low. Why enact a law if it cannot be effectively and efficiently enforced? Even an extremely harsh penalty would not be a deterrent if the people know that the risk of being caught is almost nil.

An imaginative enforcement mechanism I have read about is having police officers riding along in traffic with a higher perspective (such as on a bus) so that they can look down into the lap of a driver to see if there is a smartphone or other device hidden there. So, is this being done? If not, why not?
No need for a bus - they can use motorcycles and bicycles and have a field day out there.
Old 05-29-19, 06:19 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

First of all, you don't know me and you haven't lived a minute in my shoes, let alone a day...so don't judge me.

Who said I don't use technologies that are developed to make it easier and safer? I do...but those technologies still need to improve before they will be fully adapted by everyone.
I didn't mean to make this about you specifically. I also didn't mean to make it sound like I'm judging you - again it was just my opinion, and it's not how I would personally handle the situation if I were in your shoes. I simply said that distracted drivers like you, who insist that their behaviour/distractions are more important than paying attention to the road like everyone else, call for tech to reduce the distraction, but don't use what's currently available. This is based on your previous post here:

I've tried using Siri and whatever to text and reply by voice, but often thats more distracting than just typing the text because it works so poorly.

Thats ridiculous. Me and others working in our cars is completely different from some guy updating his FB status. I'm not playing on the internet, I'm replying to a text from a paying customer at a red light while my car holds the brake for me. There is ZERO risk there. Come down off your high horse.
Whether you're working or posting on social media, a distraction is a distraction. How is confirming a meeting time with a customer via text different from confirming a dinner date with a friend via text? There's no difference.

On top of that, typing a text out is far more distracting than taking a phone call. At least with a phone call, your eyes are still on the road instead of on the keyboard. My wife thinks the same way you do, and would rather text someone and wait minutes for an answer than try calling them to have a real conversation. I'm going to sound like my 80 year old grandma, but when did dialing a phone become so outdated?
Old 05-29-19, 06:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I didn't mean to make this about you specifically. I also didn't mean to make it sound like I'm judging you - again it was just my opinion, and it's not how I would personally handle the situation if I were in your shoes. I simply said that distracted drivers like you, who insist that their behaviour/distractions are more important than paying attention to the road like everyone else, call for tech to reduce the distraction, but don't use what's currently available. This is based on your previous post here:

Whether you're working or posting on social media, a distraction is a distraction. How is confirming a meeting time with a customer via text different from confirming a dinner date with a friend via text? There's no difference.

On top of that, typing a text out is far more distracting than taking a phone call. At least with a phone call, your eyes are still on the road instead of on the keyboard. My wife thinks the same way you do, and would rather text someone and wait minutes for an answer than try calling them to have a real conversation. I'm going to sound like my 80 year old grandma, but when did dialing a phone become so outdated?
I agree. It is distracted driving. I get over 100 emails a day, most are just to let me know of something but an email is just that, an email, they usually do not require an immediate response. Years ago I learned to just check them in the morning at 5am and never look again till the next day. What did people do before email and texts?
Old 05-29-19, 07:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What did people do before email and texts?
Before the Great Age of Electronic Distraction behind the wheel, it was basically (and still is, too many times), driving after Happy Hour.

Old 05-29-19, 07:19 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree. It is distracted driving. I get over 100 emails a day, most are just to let me know of something but an email is just that, an email, they usually do not require an immediate response. Years ago I learned to just check them in the morning at 5am and never look again till the next day. What did people do before email and texts?
I mean, SW17LS has explained why he needs to work in the car, so it makes sense. I just don't personally agree with it because of the distraction it causes. Doubtful that law enforcement would care what the reason for the distraction is either. Until the tech can catch up to the needs of drivers like him and make it truly safe to communicate via text/email while driving, it's up to enforcement to discourage the behaviour. But there isn't enough manpower to catch every offender, so people will continue to do what they're doing until they get caught. It's an uphill battle that won't be won by law enforcement alone.
Old 05-29-19, 08:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I mean, SW17LS has explained why he needs to work in the car, so it makes sense. I just don't personally agree with it because of the distraction it causes.
It doesn’t make sense if it is not legal. Just my opinion. Apple Car Play solves the phone call and text issue. Emails I do not see the point.
Old 05-29-19, 10:39 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with these comments below..

Originally Posted by Och
This country needs mandatory drivers re-education on federal level, and much stricter fines.
Originally Posted by mbarron37
I would make it a moving violation that adds points and increases your insurance. That will get the attention of the people. Also, if someone is a repeat violator, then the registry can take your license away for 3, 6 months or whatever. There is no real deterrent today and we need one.

With Phone OS integration as a beginning solution.
Old 05-29-19, 04:05 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,135 Likes on 841 Posts

The phone presents one of the biggest challenges to date with focus. The phone is a distraction that is amplified by our thought that if we aren't communicating at this instant, something wrong will happen (lose a job, lose a client, lost money, lost time, etc.). I've actually been chastised by friends, family and business partners for not replying to a text, missing their call or not responding to their email within their expected time frame...when it was not an emergency or a priority. Everything can't be a priority - its just unrealistic. A smartphone makes you THINK everything else other than what you are currently doing must be a priority.

Imagine this: many posters have stated that they use their phone in their cars for business or pleasure or out of necessity...do you know how many cops I've seen, parked, stopped at a light, even driving using their cell phones for the same reasons? Cops in the subways looking down at the cell phone instead of the kid who just jumped the turnstile? Cops are provided a department issued smartphone when they join the force as a tool to help them background check, fill out paperwork, etc. But that's still a distraction! The next generation of cops are afflicted with the same issue of a cell phone being a distraction.

How can you have enforcement or observe the pattern of a drunk driver, a driver that is distracted by text/email messaging, or of a driver that is tired ... if the people who enforce are distracted by the very thing??!

The only real solution that i've seen mentioned would be for the phone to function through the vehicle in limited ways..anything else isn't going to work to stop this crazy phenomenon!
Old 05-29-19, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

I mean, SW17LS has explained why he needs to work in the car, so it makes sense.
It doesn’t make sense if it is not legal. Just my opinion.

What probably makes the most sense, most of the time, is that, if one gets a phone call on his or her cell-phone while driving, one simply holds it until the next stop light, and then answers it or calls the person back. Simply talk, as much as possible, when the car is stalled in traffic or not moving.
Old 05-29-19, 04:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Talking on the phone through bluetooth isn't a problem, its texting and other activities that require looking at the phone and taking hand off the steering wheel.
Old 05-29-19, 04:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,565 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I'm not singling you out, you're a car enthusiast like all of us on this site, and probably a better than average driver that can handle multitasking. However, distracted driving is a widespread problem and you can't deny the fact that it is currently one of top causes for car crashes. It's only a matter of time until law enforcement start to really crack down on it, and they wont discriminate between a businessman replying to a customer's text and and a blonde bimbo updating her FB status.
Of course its a widespread problem, but the way to improve the problem is to understand that people WILL communicate while in their cars, and make cars safer understanding that reality, which is happening. AI and more informal voice control over vehicles and phones is coming. We are very close to having truly conversational speech to text functionality, which will help a lot. Passive vehicle safety tech like forward collision intervention helps people who aren't as smart also.

You're assuming that I'm texting while driving because Siri voice to text doesn't work great. I am not. I do not text or type on a phone when driving a moving car. I do it while stopped at a light, or stopped in traffic though, which is technically illegal. When moving I do use the voice to text, or if something requires a serious response I will pull over. My point was simply that these technologies still need to improve.

Its about exercising good judgement about what is important enough to risk the distraction.

Who has said it isn't more distracting?

It depends on the purpose of a conversation. Many people prefer to text, they can text while in meetings or in places where they can't talk. When you reply to a text with a phone call thats actually quite annoying to people who want to text. When they text you, they want to text. If they wanted to talk to you on the phone they would have called you on the phone.

Originally Posted by AJLex19
The phone is a distraction that is amplified by our thought that if we aren't communicating at this instant, something wrong will happen (lose a job, lose a client, lost money, lost time, etc.). I've actually been chastised by friends, family and business partners for not replying to a text, missing their call or not responding to their email within their expected time frame...when it was not an emergency or a priority. Everything can't be a priority - its just unrealistic. A smartphone makes you THINK everything else other than what you are currently doing must be a priority.

The reality is...this is reality. People expect a response immediately. When you're dealing in a business context, you have to meet peoples expectations or there will be consequences. I can give you several examples where not responding to something immediately has cost me $10,000+.
Old 05-29-19, 05:28 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,135 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS;
The reality is...this is reality. People expect a response immediately. When you're dealing in a business context, you have to meet peoples expectations or there will be consequences. I can give you several examples where not responding to something immediately has cost me $10,000+.
Yep, exactly my point - since everyone expects a response immediately, it puts you (and everyone else actually) in the same predicament..should I focus on what i'm doing, or should I re-focus and split my attention? ...and we've all had to make a tough choice to prioritize based on what is in your best interest...a distraction to accommodate an immediate response.

Not saying you specifically - just in general, texting and email have become conversation like in terms of the expectation...if you're having an active, verbal conversation with someone and it takes them more than 3-5 seconds to respond, its considered very odd, maybe insulting, maybe makes you seem strange or eccentric (or slow)..you get judged. Unfortunately, we've made text/email the same thing - people judge you harshly if you don't respond almost as fast as you can type!

Nonetheless, the stats are showing that distraction from smartphones while driving is on the rise - now someone will need to innovate to solve the smartphone distraction issue....and again, I do think it will get resolved, but only through more tech...

Last edited by AJLex19; 05-29-19 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 05:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,565 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Yep, agreed on all points

Quick Reply: Virginia Ranks #1 for Distracted Driving/Cell-Phone Use.