Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wireless phone charging

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-19, 11:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default Wireless phone charging

Do you have it?
Do you wish you had it?

I just checked here and it says the lx, rx, nx, and es have it. Site looks a bit out of date so would expect the ux and the new ls has it? But none of the other sedans and coupes?

https://www.air-charge.com/aircharge...eless-charging

I have this feature and LOVE it. My gf’s considering a new vehicle and after often ‘hogging’ the wireless charge slot in the center console with her iphone X she’s vowed she won’t consider any new car that doesn’t have it!
Old 05-26-19, 12:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Tried it in the new Avalon. It’s not very good. Rather just have a high powered plug. It is more the placement than anything else. I do not like how the phone gets warm as well

Thr battery on my iPhone tends to last me all day and could easily last me the next day.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-26-19 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-26-19, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I added a wireless phone charger to my LS460 in the console. I only stopped using it since I've been listening to high resolution audio from Tidal and leave my phone plugged in now.

I have wireless chargers all over my house and office though. My phone sits on one at my desk at work all day, at home if I sit it down on an end table or something there's a charger there. So...my phone is always 90-100% charged unless I'm out in the wild for long stretches,
Old 05-26-19, 02:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I added a wireless phone charger to my LS460 in the console. I only stopped using it since I've been listening to high resolution audio from Tidal and leave my phone plugged in now.

I have wireless chargers all over my house and office though. My phone sits on one at my desk at work all day, at home if I sit it down on an end table or something there's a charger there. So...my phone is always 90-100% charged unless I'm out in the wild for long stretches,
I saw your LS thread. It was a nice set up.
Old 05-26-19, 06:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Tried it in the new Avalon. It’s not very good.
This is why it was dropped from the NX. Rather than give a charge it was only rather holding a charge.
Old 05-26-19, 06:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
This is why it was dropped from the NX. Rather than give a charge it was only rather holding a charge.
Thanks for the post. Didn't know there was one nor it was dropped.
Old 05-26-19, 06:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thanks for the post. Didn't know there was one nor it was dropped.
When the NX200t debuted as a 2015 model it was in the center console. Today it's just a tray, but this is what it looked like a Qi Wireless charger

Old 05-26-19, 06:53 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Do you have it?
Do you wish you had it?

I just checked here and it says the lx, rx, nx, and es have it. Site looks a bit out of date so would expect the ux and the new ls has it? But none of the other sedans and coupes?

https://www.air-charge.com/aircharge...eless-charging

I have this feature and LOVE it. My gf’s considering a new vehicle and after often ‘hogging’ the wireless charge slot in the center console with her iphone X she’s vowed she won’t consider any new car that doesn’t have it!
If I had a phone that had wireless charging, I'd definitely want it in the car.
Old 05-26-19, 06:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a wireless charging craddle in the M2, and it works very well, and keeps charging the phone even when it's streaming internet audio through bluetooth. It fits my iphone 8, however my old 7 plus didn't fit into it.

That being said, there was an old and well forgotten technology on the Blackberry back in the days. There were two metal tabs on the back, and they were actually contacts for charger. That was an absolutely awesome and simple tech - you did not need to plug the phone in, just drop into dock or cradle, and it charged at the same speed as a wired connection.

Last edited by Och; 05-26-19 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-26-19, 08:14 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My folks have it in their Tacoma and their RAV4 and love it. I don’t have it in my cars, but use it daily at home.
Old 05-26-19, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
That being said, there was an old and well forgotten technology on the Blackberry back in the days. There were two metal tabs on the back, and they were actually contacts for charger. That was an absolutely awesome and simple tech - you did not need to plug the phone in, just drop into dock or cradle, and it charged at the same speed as a wired connection.
Not forgotten, just doesn’t work terribly well if you want the phone to be water resistant.
Old 05-26-19, 08:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Not forgotten, just doesn’t work terribly well if you want the phone to be water resistant.
I don't see how these metal tabs interfere with water resistance. Blackberries had mechanical buttons and removable batteries, so of course they weren't water resistant, it had nothing to do with the contact tabs.
Old 05-27-19, 04:34 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
When the NX200t debuted as a 2015 model it was in the center console. Today it's just a tray, but this is what it looked like a Qi Wireless charger

I had that in my NX. A $250 optional upcharge. It was slow and useless for me. Especially when I got my One plus with fast charging. It will do 50% in a half hour. Unless they have improved the wireless charging speed I think it is a dinosaur.
Old 05-27-19, 05:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Was it just the nx charging pad that was slow? I honestly haven’t paid attention to charging speed in mine (g90) but it seems fine.
Old 05-27-19, 06:26 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Every country except USA offered it for my car the first year (which I have) and now they have included it for the second model year in the USA. I have thought about upgrading to it at $200 fee, but not seeing the worth anymore. The battery on my new phone is gigantic (S10 5G) and will take forever to wirelessly charge, also the battery on my phone is gigantic and I can easily go two days without charging , plus at times I like using Android Auto, so unless the latest release that's coming this summer includes wireless hookup (haven't read all specs on it yet), then I won't consider it. I can live without it.

Quick Reply: Wireless phone charging