Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2020 Mid-Engined Corvette.....It's almost here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 05:38 AM
Blze001
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I dunno what you guys are worried about, GM has never had massive, horrible problems with a mid-engined car that took years to sort out. *Pushes Fiero under the rug next to the Corvair*
Old 05-23-19, 07:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blze001
I dunno what you guys are worried about, GM has never had massive, horrible problems with a mid-engined car that took years to sort out. *Pushes Fiero under the rug next to the Corvair*
I've been sampling new vehicles for some 50 years, and the 1984 Fiero was probably the worst-assembled new car I ever test-drove. The steering wheel was cocked some thirty degrees or so off-center, a couple of the engine-gauges didn't work (can't remember if it was oil-pressure or engine-temperature), the doors seemed sprung a little, the synchros in the manual transmission weren't very effective, there were loose plastic pieces inside, and EVERYTHING squeaked and rattled. Later that year, it was recalled for rngine-fires. It was GM's first attempt at a space-frame car, with plastic body panels and an all-new method of construction, and it showed.

I've heard stories of (but couldn't verify, so I won't state it as fact), Fiero owners having so many problems that Pontiac would sent a rotating team of factory-engineers around to various Pontiac dealerships with the worst cases. The owner would drop off his or her Fiero on a Friday afternoon at the dealership, hand them the keys, be issued a loaner, and the engineer-team would quickly go to work, if necessary, disassembling the whole car, in the service bay, right down to the space-frame, re-assembling everything correctly and taking out all the defects, and having it ready for the owner Monday morning. Again, I state that is hearsay and not necessarily fact, but, given the condition that many of them came from the factory, it would not surprise me.

Even with traditional first-year problems, I doubt if we will see any kind of defect-rate on the new mid-engine 'Vette like we saw with the Fiero. This is not the GM of the 1980s.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-23-19 at 07:44 AM.