Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura Chops $20k Off Poor-Selling NSX Supercar

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-19, 12:22 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I personally think that Acura aimed a bit too high at first. A base model with the TT V-6 and no hybrid system would have been lighter and cheaper to build. It would be RWD only and could have listed for something near $100K. The full blown hybrid version then could then be marketed as an upgrade and include all the exotic stuff that is in the current car.

I love the styling and would really enjoy the performance, but the price puts it out of my comfort zone even with a $20,000 discount.
Old 05-18-19, 03:45 PM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cars for Rodney Dangerfield?

I owned a pre-owned 2004 NSX series II. Sold a 34 year old BMW with 20K miles that I owned from new to a collector, took the $, flew to Florida where they were having a bankruptcy auction in W. Palm Beach. (No auctions are allowed in Palm Beach, except I think for charity.) There were a dozen or so exotic cars up, The last was the NSX, by that time everyone had left with their Bentleys etc. As the only bidder I got it for stupid low money. Happy birthday!

Drove it up the 81 route to where I was living in northern New England. Got to see a bit of America I'd only heard about. That car was as reliable as a paperclip and an excellent crumpet-catcher. Even my Corvette neighbors liked it. I ended up selling it for quite a bit more than I bought it for. I even took a few laps around Lime Rock Park in it with an instructor. Scared me half to death the instructor did. He drove a Porsche.

I do have a warm feeling for my Naughty SC430. The two have a family resemblance to each other, in my mind, n'est-ce pas? Why do you think?

I wonder how the die-hards will take the new mid-engine Corvette what's the buzz Are good mid-engine sports cars just difficult to....AWD OMG?
PS
I still don't know why I sold it.....

Last edited by ivanj; 05-18-19 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-18-19, 03:55 PM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
A personal opinion that is attempting to reflect on reality when it has nothing to do with reality.
Philosophically belief, in its most elementary form, is irrational. That does not mean it has nothing to do with reality. One could go on sophomorically. Punkt.
Old 05-19-19, 05:34 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buying a used 458 for brand new NSX money would be a pretty big noob mistake and a lesson learned.
Old 05-19-19, 08:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I personally think that Acura aimed a bit too high at first. A base model with the TT V-6 and no hybrid system would have been lighter and cheaper to build. It would be RWD only and could have listed for something near $100K. The full blown hybrid version then could then be marketed as an upgrade and include all the exotic stuff that is in the current car.

I love the styling and would really enjoy the performance, but the price puts it out of my comfort zone even with a $20,000 discount.
but then it becomes a car with a generic 3.5 V6TT like what an F150 has. 4.0 V8TT wouldve been a lot better
Old 05-19-19, 08:57 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
but then it becomes a car with a generic 3.5 V6TT like what an F150 has. 4.0 V8TT wouldve been a lot better
More like the generic 3.5 V6TT that powers the Ford GT!
Old 05-19-19, 02:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanj
I owned a pre-owned 2004 NSX series II. Sold a 34 year old BMW with 20K miles that I owned from new to a collector, took the $, flew to Florida where they were having a bankruptcy auction in W. Palm Beach. (No auctions are allowed in Palm Beach, except I think for charity.) There were a dozen or so exotic cars up, The last was the NSX, by that time everyone had left with their Bentleys etc. As the only bidder I got it for stupid low money. Happy birthday!
great story!

That car was as reliable as a paperclip and an excellent crumpet-catcher.
word of the day: crumpet catcher.

I do have a warm feeling for my Naughty SC430. The two have a family resemblance to each other, in my mind, n'est-ce pas? Why do you think?
similar to the new nsx? ah, no.

and anyone who thinks this is ugly just doesn't like exotic sports cars.

i LOVE it.
Old 05-20-19, 05:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

which is 70% the same engine as the ecoboom F150. Generic. Not many people were happy with the selection of this motor type either for the Ford GT
Old 05-20-19, 09:34 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,036 Likes on 2,550 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Does that apply to other types of cars as well? If I don't like a particular sedan that means I simply don't like sedans in general?

P.S. what you said is incredibly condescending.
Old 05-20-19, 10:05 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The NSX has a totally unique engine unlike the Ford GT which shares the same basic design/block with the basic Eco Boost used in so many Ford vehicles. The 75 deg DOHC engine in the NSX shares nothing with any other Honda engine, it is a totally unique new ground up design which is also why it is so expensive to make, just the NSX engine costs around 65K to make.
Old 05-20-19, 09:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Does that apply to other types of cars as well? If I don't like a particular sedan that means I simply don't like sedans in general?
the nsx looks similar in side profile to many exotic sports cars like mclarens so that’s why my comment... if the nsx looked nothing like anything else then i could see your point. But if people see the nsx as ugly, they must think many exotics are ugly.

P.S. what you said is incredibly condescending.
Sorry you feel that way, wasn’t my intention.
Old 05-20-19, 09:17 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great story!

i LOVE it.
it looks ok from the side until you walk to the front and see that stupid *** bird beak. deal breaker there for many.
Old 05-21-19, 07:10 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
The NSX has a totally unique engine unlike the Ford GT which shares the same basic design/block with the basic Eco Boost used in so many Ford vehicles. The 75 deg DOHC engine in the NSX shares nothing with any other Honda engine, it is a totally unique new ground up design which is also why it is so expensive to make, just the NSX engine costs around 65K to make.
its generic in the sense that theres 3.5 V6 and V6TT all over the place. This thing wouldve been so much better with a 4.0 V8TT. Sadly Honda/Acura has no experience making a non race engine that's more than 6 cylinders

Not only that the Ford GTs 3.5 V6TT makes 647hp 550ft# hp while the Acura's 3.5V6TT makes 500hp 406 ft# (573 hp/476ft# total system). Very poor showing for a Acura's 3.5 V6TT
Old 05-21-19, 08:42 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
its generic in the sense that theres 3.5 V6 and V6TT all over the place. This thing wouldve been so much better with a 4.0 V8TT. Sadly Honda/Acura has no experience making a non race engine that's more than 6 cylinders

Not only that the Ford GTs 3.5 V6TT makes 647hp 550ft# hp while the Acura's 3.5V6TT makes 500hp 406 ft# (573 hp/476ft# total system). Very poor showing for a Acura's 3.5 V6TT
I agree, I wish the new NSX had a V8 TT or even the V10 that was supposed to go in the previous Acura sports car but the performance they are getting from the new 6 cylinder and hybrid system is impressive and there seems to be no complaints about how quick it is, it is essentially a race engine. They really held back on the power of the engine likely to make sure it had no issues, long term durability, and to leave plenty of room for other versions. There is already a tune that adds around 100hp. Rumors are that at Pebble Beach they may be announcing a power bump and possibly a Type R version.

Problem with the Ford GT outside of its ridiculous price for a 6 cylinder Ecoboost, being uncomfortable, cheapened interior is with all that power and light weight it is not really outperforming the NSX or many other cars after several tests.
Old 05-21-19, 12:32 PM
Lead Lap

Received 791 Likes on 537 Posts

Why do car companies spend $$ developing new cars where they could just relaunch the old car and profit straight way. No R&D needed. No new reviews needed.

Just sell the original NSX.

Quick Reply: Acura Chops $20k Off Poor-Selling NSX Supercar