Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura Chops $20k Off Poor-Selling NSX Supercar

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-19, 09:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Some of you sure are hyper defensive I think the car is ugly and contributes to slow sales. Hence I said in my opinion.
Were not hyper sensitive, it is just odd hearing someone say the new NSX is bad looking or ugly when the car is pretty much universally praised for its great looks. The car to me looks better in person then in pictures and I think it looks great in pictures, just don't know how someone can say it is ugly. I find the NSX better looking then the 488, all McLarens, and the new R8. I can maybe understand if someone thinks it could look a little more aggressive for its price/performance but ugly is just very surprising.

If you think the new NSX is ugly, what 2 door sports cars do you think are attractive?
Old 05-17-19, 09:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Yeah maybe a 9 yr old 458 you would be able to get in the NSX price range. You ain't getting any fairly new Ferrari's in this range.
Nowhere close and that is before the enormous Ferrari/dealer markup which can run 50-100K.
Old 05-17-19, 09:27 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Can you fit in one? Vehicles like the NSX aren't exactly designed for the Jolly Green Giant. I guess, though, if you could squeeze yourself into a Miata, you would be able to with an NSX.
The NSX is actually comfortable to sit in, more room then a Miata, it is low though like pretty much all mid engine exotics so there is a little more bending to get in and out of.
Old 05-17-19, 09:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I think I can offer an impartial opinion on the looks, because I didn't know what it looked like.

I think it looks good.

And I am by no means an Acura fan, I don't like any of their vehicles at all.

$139k? Not a bad deal for those who were considering one...

When the 991 launched I was amazed a car they brought was $141k, RWD S, and that was 7 years ago. So 139k today for this type of vehicle seems on point...
Old 05-17-19, 10:00 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,053 Likes on 2,565 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Were not hyper sensitive, it is just odd hearing someone say the new NSX is bad looking or ugly when the car is pretty much universally praised for its great looks
It is? And even if so that doesn't change how I view the car I think it looks like what you'd get if you pumped up the styling of the Accord to look super car-ish.
The car to me looks better in person then in pictures and I think it looks great in pictures, just don't know how someone can say it is ugly.
To you, that's great I have no problem that you like the car. I've seen one in person it didn't improve my opinion I think the car is a styling mess.
I find the NSX better looking then the 488, all McLarens, and the new R8. I can maybe understand if someone thinks it could look a little more aggressive for its price/performance but ugly is just very surprising.

If you think the new NSX is ugly, what 2 door sports cars do you think are attractive?
I'm not necessarily a huge fan of any of these, but I think the Cayman, Corvette, most anything Ferrari look better. The NSX looks like a hyper Honda to me.
Old 05-17-19, 10:57 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I think this thing has 573ish horsepower and costs on the wrong side of $150k or $100k however you want to see it. And then there's the badge of course. And then the car doesnt really elicit any emotional responses and drives like a robot, in other words, it lacks soul.
Old 05-17-19, 12:40 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

It is? And even if so that doesn't change how I view the car I think it looks like what you'd get if you pumped up the styling of the Accord to look super car-ish.

To you, that's great I have no problem that you like the car. I've seen one in person it didn't improve my opinion I think the car is a styling mess.

I'm not necessarily a huge fan of any of these, but I think the Cayman, Corvette, most anything Ferrari look better. The NSX looks like a hyper Honda to me.
I have never heard anyone say the NSX looks like a Accord or a Accord styled to look like a super car, they could not be more different style/proportion wise.

Guess we just have different taste in cars. The styling of the Cayman/Boxster does nothing for me, never has, I like 911's, the new Vette seems like a step back from the previous generation, the ZR 1 looks decent, I don't think what they did to the 458 to get the 488 was well executed, most Ferrari's look decent though I think the Ferrari FF was hideous, never cared for the Ferrari 599.
Old 05-17-19, 02:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
And then the car doesnt really elicit any emotional responses and drives like a robot, in other words, it lacks soul.
A car that sits an inch off the ground, with supercar-dynamics, and you say that it drives like a robot?
Old 05-17-19, 02:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,053 Likes on 2,565 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A car that sits an inch off the ground, with supercar-dynamics, and you say that it drives like a robot?
Sure why not? A surface to air missile is a robot and it travels at Mach 3.5.
Old 05-17-19, 03:43 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
I think this thing has 573ish horsepower and costs on the wrong side of $150k or $100k however you want to see it. And then there's the badge of course. And then the car doesnt really elicit any emotional responses and drives like a robot, in other words, it lacks soul.
Most reviews are very positive and they say it does not drive like a robot or is no fun despite all the technology.

Last edited by UDel; 05-17-19 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-17-19, 07:03 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Reading through this thread, I have come to the conclusion that I could substitute "Gen5 LS" for "NSX" and no one would know the difference. The same arguments used here against the NSX could be -- or already have been -- used against the LS, and by the same armchair critics.
Old 05-17-19, 07:32 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Reading through this thread, I have come to the conclusion that I could substitute "Gen5 LS" for "NSX" and no one would know the difference. The same arguments used here against the NSX could be -- or already have been -- used against the LS, and by the same armchair critics.
If you know, you know. :]
Old 05-17-19, 10:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
This is NOT a price cut. Acura's website current says starting price is $159,500.
I stand corrected thx and edited my post.
Old 05-18-19, 01:36 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Some of you sure are hyper defensive I think the car is ugly and contributes to slow sales. Hence I said in my opinion.
A personal opinion that is attempting to reflect on reality when it has nothing to do with reality.
Old 05-18-19, 03:58 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a nice car based on reviews i've seen on it but the price they are asking for it, there is just too much brand snobs in the range they are selling it for. It's like Mazda to me, their cars are great by the magazines but too many just stick to the mainstream brands in the price range.

Quick Reply: Acura Chops $20k Off Poor-Selling NSX Supercar