Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C/D Article - Mazda's rear wheel drive platform and I-6s

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 10:35 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts
Default C/D Article - Mazda's rear wheel drive platform and I-6s

Some snippets:

Mazda has confirmed plans for inline-six engines and a new "Large Architecture," with all signs pointing to this platform being rear-wheel drive. In an investor presentation found by
Jalopnik, the Japanese automaker outlined all sorts of initiatives for its future that it plans to implement between 2020 and 2025, the most interesting of which are investments for its next generation of products. From what we know so far, it appears Mazda is getting way more serious about its ambition to become a luxury brand.

The key slide in the presentation mentions several important developments in regard to the new architecture. The longitudinal engine layout strongly suggests that the platform will be rear-wheel drive (with all-wheel drive available as an option). While it's possible to package a longitudinally mounted engine in a front-wheel-drive vehicle, it doesn't make a lot of sense. It also confirms that two inline-six engines are in the works, one Skyactiv-D diesel and one with Mazda's Skyactiv-X Spark Plug Controlled Compression Ignition (SPCCI) technology. Electrification is also part of the plan, as 48-volt mild hybrid and plug-in hybrid systems are mentioned.
Mazda confirmed to C/D that the company has set its sights on a "path to premium" but said it won’t disclose information on specific models, release dates, or performance numbers until "an appropriate time." We will keep you posted.

Full article here.
Old 05-09-19, 12:35 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Interest piqued
Old 05-09-19, 12:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

by 2025 it will be too late...
Old 05-09-19, 04:37 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
by 2025 it will be too late...
It does say "here is the list of stuff we're introducing between 2020 and 2025". So some portion of it is presumably ~18 months away. But either way, it's not too late for me. My son is going to steal my E90 in 4.5 years. At that point, I'm going to be looking for a less-expensive daily driver, with an eye towards getting a fair-weather toy (Mid-engined C8 Corvette perhaps?) to go along with it. If I were buying today, the front runner would be the Accord Sport, because Turbo + 6MT sort of makes up for FWD. Not really, but sort of. If in a few years time there's a RWD Mazda 6 (or equivalent) with an I6 and a manual? Proper drive layout with Mazda's amazing interior, in a reasonably-priced family sedan? Sold.

Last edited by geko29; 05-09-19 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-10-19, 01:13 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

A rear drive Mazda with an inline-six Skyactiv-X engine certainly has my interest. The time-frame to be able to offer pure combustion engines isn't going to last forever but Mazda may still be well within that window. Also their next generation Skyactiv HCCI tech may give them the edge they need for this in fuel economy and emissions.

Of course I'd like to see a manual with an offering like that. One can dream, so long as it isn't more than a 48V mild hybrid system it should still be technically possible.

Sad that there is zero mention of their 1.6L Skyactiv-R rotary in their product timeline. Other than as a range extender it really is a now or probably never proposition to offer a proper rotary that drives the rear wheels again.

I hope they haven't given up on the rotary just yet (if they intend to do something with it soon at long last) but the inline six has a much better chance of happening.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-10-19 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-10-19, 07:04 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

interest is one thing, sales is another. Their product portfolio is stellar, even more so considering their no longer a ford product/small company. However sales are just not as amazing. But they are resilient and thats half the battle
Old 05-10-19, 07:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

At the risk of excessively quoting Car and Driver...

I saw this in their recent intro of their long term CX-5 and found it interesting:

The brand enjoys an enviable quirk: More than half of its sales mix, model for model, consists of the higher trim levels. Mazda has taken this to mean that buyers can and want to pay more for their vehicles, which has spurred it to add ever more deluxe Grand Touring Reserve and Signature trims above the previously top-dog Grand Touring spec on some models, the CX-5 included.
Full article here.
Old 05-10-19, 08:35 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Did anyone asked for a premium Mazda? Would anyone want to pay for a premium Mazda? People dont want to buy a non-premium Mazda now, why would they want one tomorrow or the day after? They manage to have a sales decline in their crossover line when everyone else can't keep theirs on the dealer lot.
Old 05-10-19, 09:32 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Did anyone asked for a premium Mazda? Would anyone want to pay for a premium Mazda? People dont want to buy a non-premium Mazda now, why would they want one tomorrow or the day after? They manage to have a sales decline in their crossover line when everyone else can't keep theirs on the dealer lot.
Was anyone asking for a premium Hyundai? Far less then a premium Mazda yet the G80 for several months was the 3rd best selling luxury car in its class, G70 is getting good reviews, G90 a nice option especially for those who don't care for the new LS500. I would have loved for Mazda to go through with Amati in the 90's to offer some more choice, would have loved for them to bring the last Cosmo to the US and some other lux/performance cars.

I think this could be interesting and a smart move if true. It allows Mazda a premium competitor in the segment which they used to play in when they had the 929 and Millenia to some extent, it also allows them to more performance to go along with the handling of their cars. As good looking and good handling as the Mazda 6 is/was, its engine, being only a 4cyl and 0-60 in over 7 sec was always lacking and why I think it never got better sales. The new turbo 4 helps a little but it is still much slower then its Honda/Toyota competitors. A inline 6 will allow them a easy 300+ hp, much more performance, larger more interesting cars.
Old 05-10-19, 10:32 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Was anyone asking for a premium Hyundai? Far less then a premium Mazda yet the G80 for several months was the 3rd best selling luxury car in its class, G70 is getting good reviews, G90 a nice option especially for those who don't care for the new LS500. I would have loved for Mazda to go through with Amati in the 90's to offer some more choice, would have loved for them to bring the last Cosmo to the US and some other lux/performance cars.

I think this could be interesting and a smart move if true. It allows Mazda a premium competitor in the segment which they used to play in when they had the 929 and Millenia to some extent, it also allows them to more performance to go along with the handling of their cars. As good looking and good handling as the Mazda 6 is/was, its engine, being only a 4cyl and 0-60 in over 7 sec was always lacking and why I think it never got better sales. The new turbo 4 helps a little but it is still much slower then its Honda/Toyota competitors. A inline 6 will allow them a easy 300+ hp, much more performance, larger more interesting cars.
Nope nobody asked for a luxury Hyundai, but at least they are using a different name and they had momentum on the Hyundai side. People barely buy regular Mazdas as is.

What I am intrigued by is the inline 6. Perhaps, Toyota can partner with Mazda on the next Supra.
Old 05-10-19, 01:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
My son is going to steal my E90 in 4.5 years.
i think by e90 you mean your 2011 diesel 335d. so he's going to want to drive a then almost 13 yr old diesel car? since a lot of young people have become convinced cars are evil (thanks Al Gore) and especially oil burners he may not be very popular with that.

At that point, I'm going to be looking for a less-expensive daily driver, with an eye towards getting a fair-weather toy (Mid-engined C8 Corvette perhaps?) to go along with it. If I were buying today, the front runner would be the Accord Sport, because Turbo + 6MT sort of makes up for FWD. Not really, but sort of. If in a few years time there's a RWD Mazda 6 (or equivalent) with an I6 and a manual? Proper drive layout with Mazda's amazing interior, in a reasonably-priced family sedan? Sold.
in 4.5 years the car scene could be very different with all manufacturers jumping on the electric wagon. stick cars may well become antiques.
Old 05-10-19, 02:01 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

i think by e90 you mean your 2011 diesel 335d. so he's going to want to drive a then almost 13 yr old diesel car? since a lot of young people have become convinced cars are evil (thanks Al Gore) and especially oil burners he may not be very popular with that.
He absolutely loves the car, and was relieved beyond belief when we decided to keep it and do some necessary maintenance/repairs, rather than buy a new car. He's been telling me for years that I'm not allowed to sell it, because he wants it. What can I say, he's a good boy--video games are almost exclusively driving/racing simulators (complete with force feedback wheel, 3 pedals and a 6MT), helps me with vehicle maintenance, wants to find and restore an old '60s Impala. Favorite TV show is The Grand Tour, but he's currently going through the Top Gear back catalog. Made me take him to the Chicago Auto Show every year of the past 6, except for one where he was really sick. He'll be the last person on earth who thinks that cars are evil.

in 4.5 years the car scene could be very different with all manufacturers jumping on the electric wagon. stick cars may well become antiques.
Electrics will continue to become more common, but it'll be a LOT longer than 4.5 years before the manual transmission finally dies. Sure there have been a couple high-profile cars that have or are losing their manual transmissions, see: non-M G20 3-series, C8 Corvette, Ferrari everything. But there's still plenty to go around. Toyota just re-introduced it on the Corolla, Ford is working on a 7-speed for the Mustang and Bronco. Take rate for the manual is better than half for the BRZ/86 twins and the BMW M2. Honda shows no sign that they'll ever even offer an auto in the Civic Si or R, and the newest Accord Sport still offers the Civic R's gearbox; Hyundai just introduced the manual-exclusive Veloster-N and optional one in the Genesis G70.

But we're getting pretty far afield. Bottom line is if Mazda makes a car anything like what I've got in my head, it's highly likely I'll buy one. If not, there are other options.
Old 05-10-19, 02:36 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

For what it's worth, Mazda was a brand that never crossed our shopping list back in 2013. When they redesigned their cars/brand/image, we took the Mazda 6 for a test drive. At the time, it brought more to the table than the standard econo-boxes that we were choosing from (Accord/Camry).

I actually see a lot of Mazda 3/6 not to mention the CX series here in the Bay Area. Their sales are definitely not as big as other auto makers but I'm hoping they survive and continue building great cars. I'm looking forward to their new RWD platform.
Old 05-12-19, 04:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Very exciting. Personally, IMHO Mazda sells some of if not the most compelling entries into every segment they're competing in.
Old 05-13-19, 06:17 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndName
For what it's worth, Mazda was a brand that never crossed our shopping list back in 2013. When they redesigned their cars/brand/image, we took the Mazda 6 for a test drive. At the time, it brought more to the table than the standard econo-boxes that we were choosing from (Accord/Camry).

I actually see a lot of Mazda 3/6 not to mention the CX series here in the Bay Area. Their sales are definitely not as big as other auto makers but I'm hoping they survive and continue building great cars. I'm looking forward to their new RWD platform.
I thought the same when I started shopping for a new car in 2017. The transfer case issues on the AWD 07-15 CX-9s and Mazda's issues with early rust development really scared me off. I really liked the design of the 2nd gen, so I took one for a test drive and I was surprised at how much I liked it. Everything I test drove after that just didn't seem like a better fit than the CX-9.

I'd love to see an AWD Mazda6 based on a RWD platform, with an I-6.

Quick Reply: C/D Article - Mazda's rear wheel drive platform and I-6s