Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does the basement living luxury car owner really exist?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-19, 07:07 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ok. He is wrong.
"I once thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."

My favorite line.
Old 04-30-19, 07:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
We'll agree to disagree.
Originally Posted by jrmckinley
"I once thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."

My favorite line.
So you both come in here. And you both get personal. I am sorry to both of you if you think this thread had ulterior motives. It does not. If you are offended, you should not be. I consider you friends on this forum. It’s just a discussion.

From what I have learned in here. It appears to be just a Canadian thing, not available in the USA. I wonder why.
Old 04-30-19, 07:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I consider you my friend too on this forum, but we've all talked long enough that I know your opinions on this subject...and the connection from "84 month loan" to "the person who uses that must live in a basement" is really clear.
Old 04-30-19, 07:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I consider you my friend too on this forum, but we've all talked long enough that I know your opinions on this subject...and the connection from "84 month loan" to "the person who uses that must live in a basement" is really clear.
And what is it then? Be crystal clear.
Old 04-30-19, 07:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And what is it then? Be crystal clear.
The implication is that sort of financing would only be used by "poor people" (your words) who can't afford to pay for a decent place to live (I.e. they live in a basement) but yet still want a luxury car and prioritize that over other spending in their lives that would be more "legitimate" in your opinion.

You have made your opinion that people that "need to" finance or lease a luxury car don't deserve a luxury car very clear
Old 04-30-19, 07:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The implication is that sort of financing would only be used by "poor people" (your words) who can't afford to pay for a decent place to live (I.e. they live in a basement) but yet still want a luxury car and prioritize that over other spending in their lives that would be more "legitimate" in your opinion.

You have made your opinion that people that "need to" finance or lease a luxury car don't deserve a luxury car very clear
Not really. But don't take my word for it. I was trying to say in my original post that access to a BMW seems easier than ever before. So I asked who is poor enough to need a 84 mo loan but at the same time doing well enough to need a BMW. The idea of a 84 mo BMW loan did not exist to me as of yesterday, neither did one for Toyota. So it appears that it is easier to obtain financing for a $50K BMW than it is for $50K Avalon. Just seems to be a different world than in the past.
Old 04-30-19, 07:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Okay then. Onward we go
Old 04-30-19, 07:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Okay then. Onward we go
I was wrong. You can go 84 mo at Toyota. Same at Lexus, you jump from 1.9% for a LS at 60 mo to 6.44% finance rate at 84. A UX is 4.9% at 60 and 6.44% at 84.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-30-19 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-30-19, 07:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

84 month financing has existed for some time now across many manufacturers.
Old 04-30-19, 07:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

84 month financing has existed for some time now across many manufacturers.
Appears to be the case. Knew some of the front line brands were doing 84, never in a million years did I think you could obtain that at BMW and Lexus too. No available at MB.

Luxury branded vehicles to me always were viewed as hard to obtain.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-30-19 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-30-19, 07:42 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Given the nature of the ridiculous prices of Toronto real estate, there are very few "poor" basement dwellers. This is more a case of "co-housing" and shared housing to reduce living costs and free up disposable income. Sounds like maybe Jill intended that as the meaning of this thread.

Young people didn't grow up with the stuff that's being talked about by old people here. We're awfully judgemental about telling off the younger generation about how they spend their money. That's new now isn't it? Lol.

The younger generation does not have any hope of owning real estate inside the metro T.O. area at this point so they're spending their money elsewhere. If you can convince a millennial to buy a $1K smartphone, you can certainly convince that person to "invest" in a $60K BMW and spend the next 7 years paying for it.

What happens at the end of that 7 years, we don't know. Looks like you can finance a X2, or a 5 series from BMW Canada if you put down $2500 or so and accept that your payments are around $700/month CAD. Maybe BMW Finance sees a constant cycle of upgrades and re-finance for solid high credit individuals living a good life and buying the "next thing".

Nobody said you have to keep the car for the whole seven years. You just trade it back in and keep on going. It's the new mentality. We can't judge because we're not in their situation. Or their parents' situation.
Old 04-30-19, 08:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Appears to be the case. Knew some of the front line brands were doing 84, never in a million years did I think you could obtain that at BMW and Lexus too. No available at MB.

Luxury branded vehicles to me always were viewed as hard to obtain.
No harder to obtain than any other car, the cost of the product is just more.
Old 04-30-19, 09:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Having a hard time trying to find US past stats, but I am sure they are similar to the Canadian stats. 1990 luxury brand market share was 3% of all Can sales. 2017 luxury brand market share was 12%. Changing times.
Old 04-30-19, 09:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Given the nature of the ridiculous prices of Toronto real estate, there are very few "poor" basement dwellers. This is more a case of "co-housing" and shared housing to reduce living costs and free up disposable income. Sounds like maybe Jill intended that as the meaning of this thread.

Young people didn't grow up with the stuff that's being talked about by old people here. We're awfully judgemental about telling off the younger generation about how they spend their money. That's new now isn't it? Lol.

The younger generation does not have any hope of owning real estate inside the metro T.O. area at this point so they're spending their money elsewhere. If you can convince a millennial to buy a $1K smartphone, you can certainly convince that person to "invest" in a $60K BMW and spend the next 7 years paying for it.

What happens at the end of that 7 years, we don't know. Looks like you can finance a X2, or a 5 series from BMW Canada if you put down $2500 or so and accept that your payments are around $700/month CAD. Maybe BMW Finance sees a constant cycle of upgrades and re-finance for solid high credit individuals living a good life and buying the "next thing".

Nobody said you have to keep the car for the whole seven years. You just trade it back in and keep on going. It's the new mentality. We can't judge because we're not in their situation. Or their parents' situation.
This is an interesting way of looking at my original theme. It is quite expensive in the GTA. I can see what you mean by bmw pushing the constant cycle upgrade. So if you keep the person paying, he/she will just upgrade it to another cycle after 7 years.
Old 04-30-19, 09:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Oh look, another opportunity for people who drive old used cars and pay cash to show people who enjoy spending money on nice new cars how much smarter they are than them.

In other words...a day that ends in y
Originally Posted by LexBob2
Very good point. I'm one of those people who don't mind spending money on a nice new car. I've even had a couple dreaded BMW's lately, my first for the brand.
Even if they aren’t making informed decisions, who cares? What business is it of ours?

The point is this is self elevating on the part of the people who post these types of threads. “Look how stupid these people are”, in other words look how smart I am. It’s tiresome. If people want to finance cars for 84 months...who cares.
Yup, just another virtue-signalling thread. May not be intended consciously by LexsCTJill but that’s how these types of threads always go...

Same with a lot of other thread like how ‘stupid’ people are to buy trucks, suvs, sports cars, electrics, whatever, when supposedly more ‘sensible’ choices can be made.

I believe part of freedom is the right to do stupid things.

Do gooders like to crush freedom by shaming, regulating, lobbying, bullying, etc.

When i leased a g90 coming from a ‘perfectly good’ 3 year old jeep grand cherokee that had 1 yr left to finance, that may to many be completely stupid, financially, whatever. I have no regrets whatsoever.

and guys like dave ramsey provide a lot of sensible financial advice, especially for those in bad debt, but i can’t live by all his strict financial ‘rules’, it’s way too constraining.

Quick Reply: Does the basement living luxury car owner really exist?