Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Every few years we need to be taught a lesson

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 09:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Every few years we need to be taught a lesson

Was on the way home yesterday, wife says I need to be home by 17:30 EST as she has to pick up two friends for a surprise baby shower.

Well, I said I would do my best. I leave a little early, get on the road, and WTH suddenly this Infiniti is doing like 17-20 MPH lol

It was 2 cars ahead of me. So I know some dotted lines are coming up, when they do, I move out. That ****** in the Infiniti accelerates!

I do what I have to do and complete my pass. When I say I did what I had to do, based on my dashcam, that is to reach 57 mph.

Here's where the ignorance comes in. The speed limit is 25 on the road, I thought 35.

Wouldn't you know, an Explorer Police Interceptor is the car coming the other direction, and lights them up.

I pull over, watch the Infiniti pass by, cop bangs a U-ey, and they pull in behind me.

To my delight, the officer is female. I just feel it might go better, that's all. We converse, and she repeats 3X, you didn't do anything wrong as far as passing. You can pass there. It's your speed you have to watch. It's only 25 here. I cop to an error in judgement.

We say our pleasantries and I am on my way, no summonses.

Here we go again, I need to learn what I thought I had learned in 2009, and that is to be aware of the speed limit on various roads. To be honest, passing on a dotted line is a bad move in general playing the odds, because look at what happened. That Infiniti for whatever reason decided to accelerate, either a knee-jerk reaction, or to be a jerk, but I am the one who is now exposed to a $250+ fine. We need to in life, on the road, and in general, keep ourselves out of situations where someone else could determine the outcome. If that driver had continued at 17-20, I could have easily passed at 25 or 30.

I learned my lesson until next time. That's how life works. You get a little too comfy, it slaps you in the face. It can even cut you some slack, and it's up to ourselves what comes next. Fall down seven times get up eight. The end.
Old 04-27-19, 10:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

you got very lucky that time... but probably because the trooper was moving they couldn't actually clock your speed, just 'knew' you were going way too fast, hence no ticket.

oh and if you had a modern car with HUD it can display the speed limit right in front of your eyes.
Old 04-27-19, 10:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

They were local yocals....I think that sick and humbling feeling on the side of the road is a good thing. We all need it from time to time, that is, without the summonses! And no I did not reach home in time as there was a torrential downpour too, but 17:50 was not the end of the world!

p.s. yes I would like HUD as well as a LED/LCD dash....maybe next car...
Old 04-27-19, 10:26 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Was on the way home yesterday, wife says I need to be home by 17:30 EST as she has to pick up two friends for a surprise baby shower.

Well, I said I would do my best. I leave a little early, get on the road, and WTH suddenly this Infiniti is doing like 17-20 MPH lol

It was 2 cars ahead of me. So I know some dotted lines are coming up, when they do, I move out. That ****** in the Infiniti accelerates!

I do what I have to do and complete my pass. When I say I did what I had to do, based on my dashcam, that is to reach 57 mph.

Here's where the ignorance comes in. The speed limit is 25 on the road, I thought 35.

Wouldn't you know, an Explorer Police Interceptor is the car coming the other direction, and lights them up.

I pull over, watch the Infiniti pass by, cop bangs a U-ey, and they pull in behind me.

To my delight, the officer is female. I just feel it might go better, that's all. We converse, and she repeats 3X, you didn't do anything wrong as far as passing. You can pass there. It's your speed you have to watch. It's only 25 here. I cop to an error in judgement.

We say our pleasantries and I am on my way, no summonses.

Here we go again, I need to learn what I thought I had learned in 2009, and that is to be aware of the speed limit on various roads. To be honest, passing on a dotted line is a bad move in general playing the odds, because look at what happened. That Infiniti for whatever reason decided to accelerate, either a knee-jerk reaction, or to be a jerk, but I am the one who is now exposed to a $250+ fine. We need to in life, on the road, and in general, keep ourselves out of situations where someone else could determine the outcome. If that driver had continued at 17-20, I could have easily passed at 25 or 30.

I learned my lesson until next time. That's how life works. You get a little too comfy, it slaps you in the face. It can even cut you some slack, and it's up to ourselves what comes next. Fall down seven times get up eight. The end.
First, your wife should stop trolling you by giving you deadlines in Standard Time, since Philly is currently in Daylight Saving Time.

And...WTF is the point of a passing zone in a 25mph zone??!! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 04-27-19, 10:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you got very lucky that time... but probably because the trooper was moving they couldn't actually clock your speed, just 'knew' you were going way too fast, hence no ticket.

oh and if you had a modern car with HUD it can display the speed limit right in front of your eyes.
In PA, only state troopers are allowed to use radar. If local police want to write speeding tix, they need lines painted on the road with a stop watch. Never seen it in 26 years of living in PA.
Old 04-27-19, 01:05 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Not sure I've encountered a road with 25mph that has dotted lines..? Isn't that in itself strange?
Old 04-27-19, 02:44 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

these are the situations the P100D lives for haha
Old 04-27-19, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
In general, currently found only on the more upscale vehicles (and then, sometimes, only with some option-packages)....though I suspect that it will become a Federal mandate on new vehicles sooner or later.
Old 04-27-19, 03:29 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
these are the situations the P100D lives for haha
My friends P100D is insane. It would have put a bus length on that Infiniti as soon as he pressed the accelerator. Any car for that matter. You have to experience it to believe but those Tesla's are in a different tier of acceleration.
Old 04-27-19, 03:53 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

for your amusement, here I am beginning to decelerate, dotted line, 25 mph sign, and vehicle in distance is the Explorer as lights turned on....(seriously 1080p isn't really sufficient wish I had a 4k dash cam). When the Explorer and I crossed paths, I waved lol and my cam had me at 23 mph....I'm not saying I am right, au contraire. Imagine my demeanor today had I have gotten a summons and a court date. That cop is exactly why I'm pro LE and against some of the stuff I see on YouTube.

edit looked up the break points, it goes 1-15, 16-25, 26+. Oh yeah this pic is from my friend's dashcam as he was driving, for illustration purposes, professional driver do not attempt

Last edited by Johnhav430; 04-27-19 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-27-19, 04:17 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
My friends P100D is insane.
don't you mean ludicrous?

and yes the silent near instant teleportation of really fast teslas is absolutely a 'luxury' feature that no other car short of a 918, regera, or rimac can match... a big turbo will inevitably still cause the tesla to become #rekt given enough space, but nothing rules the urban/suburban streets like the P100D

also you can absolutely tear past people but they don't shout at you since there's no noise to make them think speeding has occured lol
Old 04-27-19, 05:49 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

This confirms my (biased) opinion that slow drivers are the root cause for fast drivers and cause more traffic incidents. I am perfectly fine driving the speed limit on most roads but when some slow driver is hogging the fast lane completely oblivious to people around them , it brings the worst out of me and I end up blowing past the speed limit to get in front.
Old 04-27-19, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
This confirms my (biased) opinion that slow drivers are the root cause for fast drivers and cause more traffic incidents. I am perfectly fine driving the speed limit on most roads but when some slow driver is hogging the fast lane completely oblivious to people around them , it brings the worst out of me and I end up blowing past the speed limit to get in front.
What's your definition of "slow"? If you are complaining about people driving the speed limit in the left lane (as opposed to those going slower), then that is perfectly legal. That driver has no legal reason to pull over or yield just because you happen to want to exceed the limit. Now, if that driver is going slower than the limit in the left lane, then, yes, he or she should definitely yield....and you would have a right to be angry if they didn't.
Old 04-27-19, 07:37 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What's your definition of "slow"? If you are complaining about people driving the speed limit in the left lane (as opposed to those going slower), then that is perfectly legal. That driver has no legal reason to pull over or yield just because you happen to want to exceed the limit. Now, if that driver is going slower than the limit in the left lane, then, yes, he or she should definitely yield....and you would have a right to be angry if they didn't.
it is not perfectly legal to be driving the speed limit in the left lane if you're not passing anyone, and it is in fact one of the most inconsiderate and dangerous things one can do

and going the speed limit often is "slow" and it especially is when the car going the speed limit has like 10 cars piled up behind it waiting to get on with their day... why bring up the law in these instances? they're following the law so you have no right to get annoyed? that's nice and all but laws first have to make sense in order for that line of thinking to mean anything
Old 04-28-19, 02:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
it is not perfectly legal to be driving the speed limit in the left lane if you're not passing anyone, and it is in fact one of the most inconsiderate and dangerous things one can do

and going the speed limit often is "slow" and it especially is when the car going the speed limit has like 10 cars piled up behind it waiting to get on with their day... why bring up the law in these instances? they're following the law so you have no right to get annoyed? that's nice and all but laws first have to make sense in order for that line of thinking to mean anything
Truth on both sides. The real problem (and has been for years) is that the concept of having to yield in the left lane (for faster traffic) contradicts that of having firm, posted speed limits. What we actually have here are two laws, each working against each other. On one hand, the law says don't speed, but (in some states) then says turns around and move out of the way for those who do....and, of course, emergency vehicles (police/fire) always have the right of way, no matter how fast or slow they are going.

Quick Reply: Every few years we need to be taught a lesson